Tanzanite and RC4

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2004, 11:02 pm »
Rick,
I hope you and your family have had a wonderful Christmas Day and enjoyed some good food and good wine  

You mentioned that you preferred the Tanzanite to the RC3R when used with a subwoofer. The Carnelian shares the same tweeter and dome mid driver as the Tanzanite, but has an 8" SEAS magnesium woofer instead of the 7" version used in the Tanzanite. This allows it to extend deeper and therefore the subwoofer's LP filter can be set to a lower frequency. I probably would let the Carnelian run full range with no HP filter used (unless you suggest otherwise).

So, I am wondering whether the Carnelian sounds better than even the Tanzanite, when used with a low-Q sealed subwoofer (in a music only system)? How do they compare in the midrange and bass range and what would be the -6db point of a sealed-box Carnelian?

Thanks Rick.

Sorry for the late reply but I just returned from vacation. The Carnelian and Tanzanite sound very similar from 75hz on up. The sealed box Carnelian will be -3db around 50-55hz which integrates very well with a subwoofer. With a subwoofer it will give you a little more output and impact than the Tanzanite.

Rick