Your Thoughts on Amplifiers for NX-Treme's

Bioman

Your Thoughts on Amplifiers for NX-Treme's
« on: 22 Jan 2020, 07:51 pm »
I am in the process of starting a build of the NX-Tremes and a pair of the triple plate-based subs.  I listened to them at Dannie's place this past weekend with a 10-watt chip amp which did a good job of driving them to pretty reasonable listening levels.
My current amplifier is a Class D that is way too high wattage for the NX-Treme (1200 watts), and I have had to pad the preamp down 10db just to give the volume control some range. So I imagine I would now need to pad down 20 dB for the NX-Treme's.  Maybe time for new amps.   Two design types intrigue me; they are the SE 300B and O.T.L.  The 300B should not be an issue from a driving match standpoint as they use a transformer but I am not sure about OTL.  Any thoughts?

e_biz80

Re: Your Thoughts on Amplifiers for NX-Treme's
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2020, 02:47 pm »
I'm jealous that you go the OB subs.  I placed my order for the NX-Treme's as well a couple of weeks ago and waiting for them to arrive.  I'd love to get the open baffle subs as well, but our Canadian dollar sucks so bad that the speakers alone with shipping came close to $6000 CAD.  The OB subs will have to wait and I'll be using conventional box subs in the mean time till I can afford them.  For my NX-Treme's I'll be using a 2A3 SET integrated amp that's conservatively rated at 4watts.  Hopefully that should be enough as they are currently driving a single full-range driver speakers that is only 89db efficient to levels louder than I normally listen at.   

maty

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2020, 04:16 pm »
Years ago I listened to a Big DIY OB with two DIY 18" sealed subwoofers in a BIG room with cheap PA amplifier, with a 9.2 system. Impressive with orchestral. Commercial music better with the traditional Big DIY speakers.

In a not so Big room, maybe with two 15" sealed subwoofers. You change them later.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2020, 04:23 pm »

Congrats on your purchase, you're going to love them!! I run mine with a Mivera 1200AS amp currently and love the combination for speed and control, I don't run a pre-amp however, I run direct from my dac. I would also ask before you purchase another amp, how big is your listening space? Do you consider Iron Maiden soft rock? Do you like to drive your speaker right to their limit??

Cheers,

Don

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2020, 04:47 pm »
I also drive my Super 7's with the   Mivera  Pure Power (AS1200).  Don is driving his NX-Treme's with same   . They  work fnatatic with the NX-Otica's as well..
We both run direct  direct  as well.

The AS1200 dos not have a ton of gain so it sounds  like  your current preamp  does if you  are needing to  pad it way down.  I have a vairable gain Dodd pre that  I was able to  use in "passive" mode with the  1200,  worked very well.

e_biz80,    Don was talking about  selling his  quads, he had to move and doesn't have space for  them any  longer.  At first  he didn't want to break the  set up but  that may have changed... a couple posts down from  the top I brak down  exactly what he's got
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164701.msg1754104#msg1754104

We'll be getting to  your  cabs soon,  there     are still a few  pairs of subs   ahead of you  but we're getting there.

On a separate note, Don's also got a  pair of K&K  Audio 6C33C P?P Set amps, all  Lundahl transformers including  transformer couiopled  that were custom built by Kevin Carter... they  are great with the  NX series as well but  man, they are big and they are   hot.   He might be pursuaded to let them go as well......

jay

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2020, 05:36 pm »
Is that you Jay selling some NX's on Canuck? If so, can I offer a word of advice from a shoppers standpoint?

First, no one knows about the speakers, so more info needed on that. Second, it's virtues need to be stated. Such as the low distortion and high eff. Third, comparison's to other speakers is also helpful. Any reviews, or comments such as Tyson's comments would be very helpful.

There just is no real "sell" in the ad, and people will pass on by, not knowing what they just looked at. Just saying.

Rocket Ronny

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2020, 05:42 pm »
Might be Don's ad,  I'll get him to cut/paste all the info  I  listed  on the  thread linked  to above  (3rd post down or something)

jay

gguy

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2020, 06:59 pm »
Congrats on your purchase, you're going to love them!! I run mine with a Mivera 1200AS amp currently and love the combination for speed and control, I don't run a pre-amp however, I run direct from my dac. I would also ask before you purchase another amp, how big is your listening space? Do you consider Iron Maiden soft rock? Do you like to drive your speaker right to their limit??

Cheers,

Don

I am also interested it a good match for myself, i'm working on a pair of NX-Oticas and triple OB's.  My listening space itself is somewhat smaller (14x18) but opens up to a large space.  I also do consider Iron Maiden soft rock, lol.  I'm currently running a Parasound P6/A21 combo.

Bioman

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2020, 08:02 pm »
I'm jealous that you go the OB subs.  I placed my order for the NX-Treme's as well a couple of weeks ago and waiting for them to arrive.  I'd love to get the open baffle subs as well, but our Canadian dollar sucks so bad that the speakers alone with shipping came close to $6000 CAD.  The OB subs will have to wait and I'll be using conventional box subs in the mean time till I can afford them.  For my NX-Treme's I'll be using a 2A3 SET integrated amp that's conservatively rated at 4watts.  Hopefully that should be enough as they are currently driving a single full-range driver speakers that is only 89db efficient to levels louder than I normally listen at.
When did the Canadian dollar drop so drastically?  Last time I looked (and that was a long time ago) it bought a lot more.

Bioman

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2020, 08:07 pm »

Cheers,

Don
Don, my space is around 38' by 16'.  It is a combination of the living room (where the speakers sit) and the dining room, no walls in between.  The speakers have around 2/3 of the room behind them with my listening position in the other third.  I listen to a mix of Classical (orchestral) and classic rock. 

e_biz80

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2020, 08:17 pm »
When did the Canadian dollar drop so drastically?  Last time I looked (and that was a long time ago) it bought a lot more.

When I paid for the kit (I bought all the upgrades as well) $1 USD was around $1.27 CAD.

Bioman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2020, 08:18 pm »
I also drive my Super 7's with the   Mivera  Pure Power (AS1200).  Don is driving his NX-Treme's with same   . They  work fnatatic with the NX-Otica's as well..
We both run direct  direct  as well.

The AS1200 dos not have a ton of gain so it sounds  like  your current preamp  does if you  are needing to  pad it way down.  I have a vairable gain Dodd pre that  I was able to  use in "passive" mode with the  1200,  worked very well.

e_biz80,    Don was talking about  selling his  quads, he had to move and doesn't have space for  them any  longer.  At first  he didn't want to break the  set up but  that may have changed... a couple posts down from  the top I brak down  exactly what he's got
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164701.msg1754104#msg1754104

We'll be getting to  your  cabs soon,  there     are still a few  pairs of subs   ahead of you  but we're getting there.

On a separate note, Don's also got a  pair of K&K  Audio 6C33C P?P Set amps, all  Lundahl transformers including  transformer couiopled  that were custom built by Kevin Carter... they  are great with the  NX series as well but  man, they are big and they are   hot.   He might be pursuaded to let them go as well......

jay
I would be interested to hear about the K&K if that comes to pass.  The Mivera sounds like a Class D which is what my current D-Sonic is.  I do like a well-done Class D as this is the second in a row in my system; simply too much power (1200 w/8); my Benchmark DAC III Pre allows me to pad down.  But the idea of not needing all of that power opens up more possibilities.

Bioman

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2020, 08:20 pm »
I am in the process of starting a build of the NX-Tremes and a pair of the triple plate-based subs.  I listened to them at Dannie's place this past weekend with a 10-watt chip amp which did a good job of driving them to pretty reasonable listening levels.
My current amplifier is a Class D that is way too high wattage for the NX-Treme (1200 watts), and I have had to pad the preamp down 10db just to give the volume control some range. So I imagine I would now need to pad down 20 dB for the NX-Treme's.  Maybe time for new amps.   Two design types intrigue me; they are the SE 300B and O.T.L.  The 300B should not be an issue from a driving match standpoint as they use a transformer but I am not sure about OTL.  Any thoughts?

My hope was that someone had heard the NX-Treme with an OTL as they have a reputation for being very open and transparent; thought the combination of transparent speakers and amp might be a killer synergy.  I am going to try out the NX's with my current equipment first and see where I go from there.  Better what you have then what you don't. :)

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2020, 04:42 am »
Bio;

I'd say your space will be excellent for the Extremes, very close to the room I had in my last house and I loved what they could do in that space, I am a big fan of the Benchmark dac/pre's, Mr. Siau's design idea's with regards to SNR closely mirror what I have heard and experienced. I wonder if they don't have switch inside the unit that could lower the gain??

Don

Bioman

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2020, 11:45 am »
Bio;

I'd say your space will be excellent for the Extremes, very close to the room I had in my last house and I loved what they could do in that space, I am a big fan of the Benchmark dac/pre's, Mr. Siau's design idea's with regards to SNR closely mirror what I have heard and experienced. I wonder if they don't have switch inside the unit that could lower the gain??

Don
Endo, the Benchmark has jumpers that allow for 0, 10, 20 or 30db padding down; it is the best SS pre and DAC I have owned to date. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2020, 06:01 pm »
I would be interested to hear about the K&K if that comes to pass.  The Mivera sounds like a Class D which is what my current D-Sonic is.  I do like a well-done Class D as this is the second in a row in my system; simply too much power (1200 w/8); my Benchmark DAC III Pre allows me to pad down.  But the idea of not needing all of that power opens up more possibilities.

Here's  alink  to  a thread on the actual amps, they are a  one of  pair that Kevin did  for Don,  at one point he jumps in and  states that he feels they  are likly the best  pair of amps he'd ever done to that point.  They are   really great amps but they are   big  and  they do run  hot

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146403.0

jay

Bioman

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2020, 06:56 pm »
Captainhemo - Sounds interesting.  Who is Don?  I would be interested in hearing what he would be willing to sell them for.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2020, 06:46 am »
hello Bio;

I would be Jay's partner directly, and Danny's in-directly. We are the guys that build and design with Danny all the open baffle DIY kits that most of the folks on this forum enjoy on a daily basis, Jay is the fellow that everyone knows as he's posting on a regular basis, and I generally prefer to hide in the weeds so to speak as I travel a lot and don't always have time to respond to daily thread questions. I felt the need to respond to you as you are now a member of a very exclusive club, ie. folks who own a pair of N-Xtremes, this is a very special speaker and when I congratulated you earlier about your purchase, I meant it, not because I own a set or because I helped with their inception, but because they are truly an exceptional speaker, and with the OB subs they will be hard pressed to be challenged by any speaker under 50-60K, and that's the truth, not just because I happen to own them.

Cheers,

Don