Triple 12" OB H-frames

Captainhemo

Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jun 2015, 02:05 am »
The cabinets are back frm paint and there is good news and   bad news.  I guess the good news first...  the water baed automotve paint   worked extremely well.  It has a great finish and seems to have adhered very well.   The color is actually   a  Turquoise, Don still hasn't decided on  grill cloth,  we've looked at  white,  black and grey, possibly even  looking for a  pattern  or something  with some accents of some kind.

The bad news...   I was worried about sending the cabinets in without  priming them first.  We spoke with the painter and told him,  if there  were any  issues that come  to  light after primeing call and we'll   take  care of them.   Well, there were a few  issues and  no, they didn't call, they just painted right over them :(
 Aside from the seams not being  100% perfect,   it would appear they didn't do a very good job of wiping the cabinets downwith a tack rag  before spraying.   In cetain areas , there are very small bits of debris  in  some places, pretty frustrating.  In a couple of spots , it almost would appear they  bumped the wet paint with  something.  If hey had spent  a bit more time , or called us after priming, the  paint could have been much better. given that,  the paint still looks very god,   just  there are  some areas  which obviously needed some more atentin

Rich, I'd say as long as yu  use a poainter who'll pay a little more attention to detail, you  have absolutely nothing  to worry about using the  water based  automotive paint. Like i said above, the finish is actually   gorgeous,  the issues are with the  care taken    with final prep and  possibly  right after  the  paint  was appliied..

I'm going to try a bit of 1500 grit  wet paper to try  and  deal with a couple spots  (startng otn he rear of the cabinets to sample) and see if  I can't improve a couple areas before installing the drivers, no res, and wireing  them up.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #81 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:08 am »
Jay,

Those do look good in the pictures. You're issues highlight some problems you can run into when you can't control the project.

A take away I get is that if I have somebody else paint a project I would set it up so I had to sign off on the primer stage before they could apply the top coat rather than leaving it up to them to decide if they should call me or not.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order an HVLP spray system, build the spray booth I can set up and take down as needed then do my own spraying. That way I keep control over the project.  I wonder why my wife accuses me of being a control freak  :scratch:

Mike

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:34 am »
Jay,
Thanks for the info.

Will be talking to them to get an estimate now that I know it will work.

I would only be using a roller if I did it, so this would look better than that! 

Rich

Captainhemo

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:58 am »
Jay,

Those do look good in the pictures. You're issues highlight some problems you can run into when you can't control the project.

A take away I get is that if I have somebody else paint a project I would set it up so I had to sign off on the primer stage before they could apply the top coat rather than leaving it up to them to decide if they should call me or not.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order an HVLP spray system, build the spray booth I can set up and take down as needed then do my own spraying. That way I keep control over the project.  I wonder why my wife accuses me of being a control freak  :scratch:

Mike

You're 100% right on all points Mike.  The part that gets me  is that aside from a bit of seam showing in  spots,   they  were just  careless and apparently lazy.

Rich,   as stated above,  they look pretty dam good  for the most part, the paint has a beautiful finish to it, not even comparable to a rolled  finish. It's bascially  an automotive finish and it would appear to be quite durable, at least that is the impression I get.
Just be careful when you pick your painter and explain to him  what you expect, don't take it for granted  that he'll know.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #84 on: 12 Jun 2015, 04:21 am »
here is a better pic of the actual finish  for you Rich,  guess the actual color is  somewhere between  this and the ones taken with the flash above, very light dependent

jay
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2015, 07:09 am by Captainhemo »

Guy 13

« Reply #85 on: 12 Jun 2015, 10:17 am »
Hi Jay, please keep the pictures coming.
Really nice cabinets.
Thanks.

Guy 13

If those were mine,
I would have preferred red color,
but you choice of color would have been my 2nd or 3rd choice.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #86 on: 12 Jun 2015, 11:16 am »
Jay,
Wow!  That really does change color with lighting.

Will take the info and talk to the local body shop and see the costs involved.  I can always have them do one module and see how it goes before doing the rest as a test.  Now I just have to pick a color scheme.  Still thinking Ferrari Red with racing stripes, but the blue has me thinking! :)

jparkhur

« Reply #87 on: 12 Jun 2015, 12:07 pm »
Just go to a local furniture shop as an option too.  As long as they know the material has to be sprayed wet it will be fine. Gary's V 1's were done with auto paint and just thinned do you could use an airless sprayer.   Red sides and gray box.  Auto shops work but my gut tells me the finish on wood maybe better at a furniture shop.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jun 2015, 12:26 pm »
The problem is all the furniture shops in the area will not take on side painting projects when I have tried, or want 6 months to get to the job.  That is why I am trying the autobody places.

bdp24

« Reply #89 on: 12 Jun 2015, 04:47 pm »
Your experience with this paint job matches mine with having customization done on my wheels. I was dissatisfied with every single job I had done (dropping the suspension four inches, custom billet wheels, even tinting the damn windows!). Yes I'm a perfectionist and have higher than normal standards, but my dissatisfaction is not the result of that fact. The jobs done were just lame ass pitiful excuses for "professional" work. Don't these people take any pride in their work? Luckily we have Danny, Brian (Rythmik), and Ruben around here!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #90 on: 12 Jun 2015, 06:59 pm »
Here's how I plan on dealing with the control issue. I ordered one of these in today. Should be in by next Friday. It's an Earlex Spray Port 6003 3 stage turbine HVLP system with a gravity feed gun.

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jun 2015, 11:58 pm »
Here's how I plan on dealing with the control issue. I ordered one of these in today. Should be in by next Friday. It's an Earlex Spray Port 6003 3 stage turbine HVLP system with a gravity feed gun.

Mike

I've owned a HVLP for about 20 or so years now. When I built my house my buddy custom built all my cabinets and I sprayed them with high gloss car paint. At the time European cabinets cost a fortune so we made them ourselves. I love having it, you can put down paint, even oil base with confidence and it will turn out amazing with just a little practice. I'm in need of a new gun and my original wasn't gravity feed, seems like a lot better way to go.

Have fun with your new toy!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #92 on: 13 Jun 2015, 12:05 am »
I've owned a HVLP for about 20 or so years now. When I built my house my buddy custom built all my cabinets and I sprayed them with high gloss car paint. At the time European cabinets cost a fortune so we made them ourselves. I love having it, you can put down paint, even oil base with confidence and it will turn out amazing with just a little practice. I'm in need of a new gun and my original wasn't gravity feed, seems like a lot better way to go.

Have fun with your new toy!

Greg,

I intend to.  Now, just as long as my wife doesn't figure out I could also use it to spray the fence and deck I'll be in good shape  :)

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #93 on: 13 Jun 2015, 12:50 am »
Greg,

I intend to.  Now, just as long as my wife doesn't figure out I could also use it to spray the fence and deck I'll be in good shape  :)

Mike

It ONLY works on small FUN project like speakers. It's very much a specialty tool and doesn't work well on projects that feel like work or are on a honey do list!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jun 2015, 01:41 am »
It ONLY works on small FUN project like speakers. It's very much a specialty tool and doesn't work well on projects that feel like work or are on a honey do list!

Thanks, I'll remember that! She doesn't have a honey do list, she has a honey do catalog!

Captainhemo

« Reply #95 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:41 am »
One done  ,  up and running and sounds  GREAT !   Don is  doing his happy dance    :dance:

Drivers installed & wired

No rez

Apic for the wife to see if  black is the color  for  grill cloth

We pulled one of my dual s out and  placed this in it's place.  man,  I thoght the duals were heavey, OMG. 
It's only the 1st and it's only been playing for about an hour but  oh boy,  can't wait  to get the next one hooked up.....  I can see me ordering  2 more drivers  and building some new cabinets in the not too  distant futre

Danny,  you'll be getting a call from Don first thing,  we ran out of wire  :(

jay
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2015, 05:46 am by Captainhemo »

lacro

« Reply #96 on: 13 Jun 2015, 03:25 pm »
One done  ,  up and running and sounds  GREAT !   Don is  doing his happy dance    :dance:

No rez

We pulled one of my dual s out and  placed this in it's place.  man,  I thoght the duals were heavey, OMG. 
It's only the 1st and it's only been playing for about an hour but  oh boy,  can't wait  to get the next one hooked up.....  I can see me ordering  2 more drivers  and building some new cabinets in the not too  distant futre

Danny,  you'll be getting a call from Don first thing,  we ran out of wire  :(

jay

Jay,
 Why No-Rez in front of drivers?

Captainhemo

« Reply #97 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:08 pm »
Jay,
 Why No-Rez in front of drivers?

hey Larry

All of the 6   driver cavities (3 front / 3rear) get lined with no res from baffle to basically the front edge to help reduce any cabint resonance.   Those sections are basically 6.5" x 13"  panels surrounding each driver.  Just trim about 1.25" of the foam from the baffle edge of the no rez to give the driver some clearence  .  On the  12's,  one sheet per driver works out  perfect.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #98 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:32 pm »
hey Larry

All of the 6   driver cavities (3 front / 3rear) get lined with no res from baffle to basically the front edge to help reduce any cabint resonance.   Those sections are basically 6.5" x 13"  panels surrounding each driver.  Just trim about 1.25" of the foam from the baffle edge of the no rez to give the driver some clearence  .  On the  12's,  one sheet per driver works out  perfect.

jay

Just to make sure I understand correctly 1 sheet of NoRez per driver x 6 drivers = 6 sheets of NoRez for the two 3x12 cabinets, correct?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #99 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:38 pm »
Just to make sure I understand correctly 1 sheet of NoRez per driver x 6 drivers = 6 sheets of NoRez for the two 3x12 cabinets, correct?

Mike

Yup, you'll have about an  inch left off each 13" strip  and each 11" strip  ( I cut each  sheet into a 13 x 27 and 11 x  27 piece then cut  tose to  6.375 pieces , 8 in total for each driver)

jay