Triple 12" OB H-frames

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Triple 12" OB H-frames
« Reply #160 on: 23 Dec 2015, 03:21 pm »
  IMO the best subwoofers on our planet. Period.

charles

bdp24

« Reply #161 on: 24 Dec 2015, 01:51 pm »

charles

It's SO nice to have like-minded people with which to communicate! For use in a music system, in a large but not-enormous room, and at loud but not eardrum-shattering SPL, yours is a reasonable and defendable opinion. When I started looking for a sub with which to augment my dipole/planar loudspeakers, I had to wade through all the sites of the hardcore bassheads---the guys using 4000w pro amps and 18" drivers in very lightly-braced enclosures. That crowd holds sub shoot-outs, where mostly soundtrack sound effects (and mostly death metal type music) are played at such high SPL that the participants must wear hearing protection. And with their ears stuffed, they then make critical evaluations of the sound of the subs! The participants comments made it obvious to me that they were listening for far different qualities in a sub than was I. When I eventually discovered Danny Richie and GR Research, I knew I had found my brotherhood. The OB/Dipole sub should imo be mated with every planar speaker in existence!

SteveKi

« Reply #162 on: 24 Dec 2015, 03:12 pm »

The custom cut modular ones I got for the OB subs were less dramatic at first. 

corndog71,
How would I order the correct isoacoustic stands for the OB subs? Did they give you a part number.

How much did they each cost?
TIA,
Steve

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #163 on: 24 Dec 2015, 05:02 pm »
corndog71,
How would I order the correct isoacoustic stands for the OB subs? Did they give you a part number.

How much did they each cost?
TIA,
Steve

There's a calculator on their website.  I found it to be a little tedious but that's what you get when dealing with an engineer.  I basically gave them my width, depth, and weight.  The modular stands can hold more weight than their lower cost versions.  All of their stands are designed to compensate for the back and forth motion of the drivers.  I paid roughly $146 each but that was with a discount due to ordering them at last year's Axpona show.

Danny Richie

« Reply #164 on: 24 Dec 2015, 08:47 pm »
There's a calculator on their website.  I found it to be a little tedious but that's what you get when dealing with an engineer.  I basically gave them my width, depth, and weight.  The modular stands can hold more weight than their lower cost versions.  All of their stands are designed to compensate for the back and forth motion of the drivers.  I paid roughly $146 each but that was with a discount due to ordering them at last year's Axpona show.

I am still on the fence about those things. I think they can be very effective but do go for the advertising. If they moved back and forth with the motion of the drivers then they would take away output. I think they would tend to damp out high frequency vibration but they are not capable of moving fast enough to damp out lower wavelengths. So their claim of isolating or de-coupling is likely more frequency dependent. At the same time they are also coupling the speaker to the floor.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #165 on: 8 Jan 2016, 05:25 pm »
Danny just ordered the HX800 amps for my two 6x12" servo arrays. 

Hope to see them soon to give them a try with the first step in building up the full array.   :D

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #166 on: 8 Jan 2016, 05:46 pm »
Danny just ordered the HX800 amps for my two 6x12" servo arrays. 

Hope to see them soon to give them a try with the first step in building up the full array.   :D

Hal, I was wondering how this was going and if you received all of the boxes from Ruben?

Can't wait to here what you think of them and see them finished!

Greg

Captainhemo

« Reply #167 on: 8 Jan 2016, 06:57 pm »
Hal, I was wondering how this was going and if you received all of the boxes from Ruben?

Can't wait to here what you think of them and see them finished!

Greg

Ditto !   
Did you ever decide on paint Rich ?   I've got another pair of cabinets almost ready to go to paint and I think we're going to use the same water based  paint used above, just a different painter

jay

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #168 on: 8 Jan 2016, 07:22 pm »
It's SO nice to have like-minded people with which to communicate! For use in a music system, in a large but not-enormous room, and at loud but not eardrum-shattering SPL, yours is a reasonable and defendable opinion. When I started looking for a sub with which to augment my dipole/planar loudspeakers, I had to wade through all the sites of the hardcore bassheads---the guys using 4000w pro amps and 18" drivers in very lightly-braced enclosures. That crowd holds sub shoot-outs, where mostly soundtrack sound effects (and mostly death metal type music) are played at such high SPL that the participants must wear hearing protection. And with their ears stuffed, they then make critical evaluations of the sound of the subs! The participants comments made it obvious to me that they were listening for far different qualities in a sub than was I. When I eventually discovered Danny Richie and GR Research, I knew I had found my brotherhood. The OB/Dipole sub should imo be mated with every planar speaker in existence!

Agree 100%. It is so hard to listen to a driver in a box now.

charles

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #169 on: 8 Jan 2016, 09:22 pm »
Got my flat packs from Ruben last year and got them all glued up.  Have been using 4 of them for the OB speaker with the NEO3/NEO10 upper section.  Was using my A370PEQ servo amps, but had to get the HX800's to go to the full arrays.

I have not gotten them painted, but did check with Ruben and water based paint finish is ok for the MDF he used.  I have to get back to the auto paint company to see if they are able to do them.  If not, will be looking for a local wood working company instead.  Still thinking either Ferrari Red or Ford GT Blue with stripes. 

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #170 on: 8 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm »
Hal, Here is an image of my powder room sink I made from good 1" MDF about 20 years ago. I used a HVLP to shoot on a coat of thick filler primer, sanded it smooth and then shot on a Ferrari Red car paint for the finish. It has held up very well considering it's MDF and is a sink counter.  :scratch:No matter which way I turn the image before downloading it, it turns upside down, don't know how to fix it here, Sorry.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #171 on: 8 Jan 2016, 10:23 pm »
Looks good to me even upside down.

Let me try.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #172 on: 8 Jan 2016, 10:46 pm »
Looks good to me even upside down.

Let me try.

Thanks Hal, that was driving me crazy. The color is a bit off but at the time it was called Ferrari Red and it's a very nice Red. I'm not imagining blue with with white stripes, would these be wide stripes or pin stripes? What ever color you paint them they are going to sounded amazing I'm sure. The bass on my Super V's sounds great and that's only 4 drivers.

Captainhemo

« Reply #173 on: 9 Jan 2016, 12:04 am »
Thanks Hal, that was driving me crazy. The color is a bit off but at the time it was called Ferrari Red and it's a very nice Red. I'm not imagining blue with with white stripes, would these be wide stripes or pin stripes? What ever color you paint them they are going to sounded amazing I'm sure. The bass on my Super V's sounds great and that's only 4 drivers.

I picture this 

Maybe on the sides from lower front to upper rear  ?
Guess you could go over the top (literally) with them but the only place they'd be seen is on the fron of the  top and  front of base.... would probably look pretty cool though

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #174 on: 9 Jan 2016, 12:38 am »
This one:

Captainhemo

« Reply #175 on: 9 Jan 2016, 01:27 am »
ahh, figured you were just after the color and then going with the  typical Shelby sttipes.
Might look really cool if you can figure out a way to implement it on a  tall/shallow cabinet

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #176 on: 11 Jan 2016, 06:21 am »
This one:

Now I see where you are coming from, I was thinking what jay was and I just couldn't see fat stripes on those sub towers. Stripes with some style could work very nicely :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #177 on: 13 Jan 2016, 11:17 am »

charles

It could be the best, but it's also hard to incorporate into the decor of a room, especially for most people.  I've always been a fan of multiple subs, placed throughout a room, and in that kind of scenario, I think for normal rooms (constrained by people using them and with women and children), you'd have the opportunity to place one open baffle sub, and that only if you can work it into the decor. 

I do think that many people are looking for "boom" in a sub.  It takes a while of living with a well designed sub system, especially for music, to hear the effect.  Subs should be subtle but there.  They should integrate well with the mains.  If that happens, the bass won't be boomy at all and in fact will be subdued (for lack of a better word).  Contrast that with movies, where you want the sub to be "hot", usually by 3dB or so.  If you get used to that boominess, then you'll find a properly calibrated set of subs to be less than desirable. 

bdp24

« Reply #178 on: 13 Jan 2016, 05:06 pm »
It could be the best, but it's also hard to incorporate into the decor of a room, especially for most people.  I've always been a fan of multiple subs, placed throughout a room, and in that kind of scenario, I think for normal rooms (constrained by people using them and with women and children), you'd have the opportunity to place one open baffle sub, and that only if you can work it into the decor. 

I do think that many people are looking for "boom" in a sub.  It takes a while of living with a well designed sub system, especially for music, to hear the effect.  Subs should be subtle but there.  They should integrate well with the mains.  If that happens, the bass won't be boomy at all and in fact will be subdued (for lack of a better word).  Contrast that with movies, where you want the sub to be "hot", usually by 3dB or so.  If you get used to that boominess, then you'll find a properly calibrated set of subs to be less than desirable.

All very true. The OB/Dipole sub is not for everyone, nor every application, system, and/or room. It is for the listener who has cultivated a certain level of sophistication in his appreciation of the reproduction of music, and for whom most subs are simply unacceptable. Hopefully that doesn't come off sounding elitist and smug!

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #179 on: 13 Jan 2016, 05:12 pm »
  If one can fit them in [ 2 drivers per side ] there is no turning back. Even one would be better than a box.

charles