Bryston Certified Sound program

bunkertoy

Bryston Certified Sound program
« on: 30 Mar 2021, 05:20 pm »
Hi All,
I'm sure all you Bryston lovers already know about this program.
https://bryston.com/certified-sound/

I just purchased a Bryston 4B SST Pro. I keep reading how the SST2 is a better upgrade, but I'm going from a Bryston 3b Pro (1986), so I'm sure this will be a large improvement to go along with my new Bryston BP25 preamp
I just can't help but feel like I should've found the extra $900 and got the 4B SST2. Hopefully I'm not staring at this amp for the next 5 years saying you could've been better.
Anyway, It's a great program. The new amp arrives next week, think Bryston is shipping it Thursday. The fact that this amp will arrive with 6yrs left of warranty plus an additional 5 years of warranty from the program(which is only good for the actual purchaser), I guess I shouldn't complain. Think I just have the audiophile disease...... upgrade, upgrade.

If anyone has any experiences with this program, love to hear about what you upgraded to etc. Also love to hear about any experiences you have had with a Bryston 4B SST. I'm extremely excited for the arrival of my newish amp.

fbny71

Re: Bryston Certified Sound program
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2021, 05:39 pm »
I didn't know about this program and am subscribing to follow...thanks!

Hi All,
I'm sure all you Bryston lovers already know about this program.
https://bryston.com/certified-sound/

I just purchased a Bryston 4B SST Pro. I keep reading how the SST2 is a better upgrade, but I'm going from a Bryston 3b Pro (1986), so I'm sure this will be a large improvement to go along with my new Bryston BP25 preamp
I just can't help but feel like I should've found the extra $900 and got the 4B SST2. Hopefully I'm not staring at this amp for the next 5 years saying you could've been better.
Anyway, It's a great program. The new amp arrives next week, think Bryston is shipping it Thursday. The fact that this amp will arrive with 6yrs left of warranty plus an additional 5 years of warranty from the program(which is only good for the actual purchaser), I guess I shouldn't complain. Think I just have the audiophile disease...... upgrade, upgrade.

If anyone has any experiences with this program, love to hear about what you upgraded to etc. Also love to hear about any experiences you have had with a Bryston 4B SST. I'm extremely excited for the arrival of my newish amp.

bunkertoy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2021, 06:27 pm »

fbny71

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2021, 07:45 pm »
You can also trade up your 4B for a 4B cubed
https://www.strata-gee.com/bryston-launches-innovative-trade-up-program-on-famous-4b-amplifier/

That I'd heard about and would have taken advantage except I have a pair of 3B-ST and a pair of 7B-ST...alas, no dice...yet!

Rod_S

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2021, 12:41 am »
This is also the 1st time I've heard of this program as well. The details at that link talk about trade-ins when owners do upgrades and those trade-ins going back to Bryston. I assume this is talking in general terms about trade-ins because I know my local Bryston dealer does not accept trade-ins (4B trade in program from last year aside) so the use of the word "trade-in" would just in general be talking about dealers that allow that type of thing I assume???

How is the pricing model on the products from this program, more or less at the going price for those older amps on the used market or a premium due to the essential refurb of the products plus additional 5 years warranty?

It's interesting because when the 4B upgrade program was piloted last year that initially peaked my interest until I read the details, old 4B models to the most current 4B model. I have a 4B-SST C Series but had been upgrading to monos over the years thus 7B series would be the next logical move I would be making but was not an upgrade option under the 4B program. A 7B Cubed would be sweet if that program had allowed upgrading to any current amp but seeing as my other amps are all SST2 series a 7B-SST2 would have made the more idea match. Similar situation going from my 4B-SST to a 4B Cubed, the Cubed wouldn't be a perfect match to all of the SST2 series in my system which is why ultimately I didn't consider it.

GrooveControl

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2021, 12:57 am »
Hi Bunkertoy,  congrats on your purchase.  I'm sure you will love it. 

I wouldn't sweat your decision to get the SST over the SST2.  A few years ago I upgraded from a pre-NRB 3B to a 3BSST.  I didn't do any A/B listening test at the time. I just unplugged the old and plugged in the new(er).  It was a pretty low-key event for me.  I didn't notice much, if any, difference, and it was definitely not an OMG! moment.  That said, I do really like the SST.  12V trigger, toroidal transformers, better specs, no physical transformer buzz compared to the older amp, and of course 15 or so years newer.

I know that Bryston keeps improving their amps, the specs prove that, but for whatever reason, the difference in sound between the amps wasn't really noticeable to my ears. Maybe my speakers and source just aren't up to the level needed highlight the differences? Maybe the fact that the old 3B had been recapped really helped it? or maybe just because I'm getting old and can't hear above 13Khz anymore.  Not sure. 

Anyway,  please do post back your impressions. Unless you notice a massive difference between those models, I doubt you would notice a difference between the SST and the SST2. 3 revisions vs 1.  It's for you to determine.  Enjoy. 

bunkertoy

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2021, 02:26 pm »
Hi Bunkertoy,  congrats on your purchase.  I'm sure you will love it. 

I wouldn't sweat your decision to get the SST over the SST2.  A few years ago I upgraded from a pre-NRB 3B to a 3BSST.  I didn't do any A/B listening test at the time. I just unplugged the old and plugged in the new(er).  It was a pretty low-key event for me.  I didn't notice much, if any, difference, and it was definitely not an OMG! moment.  That said, I do really like the SST.  12V trigger, toroidal transformers, better specs, no physical transformer buzz compared to the older amp, and of course 15 or so years newer.

I know that Bryston keeps improving their amps, the specs prove that, but for whatever reason, the difference in sound between the amps wasn't really noticeable to my ears. Maybe my speakers and source just aren't up to the level needed highlight the differences? Maybe the fact that the old 3B had been recapped really helped it? or maybe just because I'm getting old and can't hear above 13Khz anymore.  Not sure. 

Anyway,  please do post back your impressions. Unless you notice a massive difference between those models, I doubt you would notice a difference between the SST and the SST2. 3 revisions vs 1.  It's for you to determine.  Enjoy.

Thanks for your insight Groovecontrol,
 I think I might notice a difference because I'm graduating from a 3B(1987) to a 4B SST. the extra power might open up my speakers more. I'm driving a new pair of Totem Signature one. I keep hearing how power hungry they are. Currently my 3B seems to open them up nicely, but I'm hoping I hear a bit of a difference with the newer 4B. my ears are also not what they were. Tinnitus doesn't help either. We shall see, I'll post my impressions soon. Always great sharing thoughts of audio gear on here.
Cheers

GrooveControl

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2021, 05:14 pm »
For anyone interested in a tuner, Magnum Dynalab has a similar program...

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/certified-used/

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2021, 07:03 am »
Trade in offer valid in US and Canada only, limit one trade-in per new item purchased

Bryston is nearly twice as expensive outside the US and Canada,  it would be really nice if this could be a global thing for a change. I would definitely trade mine in.