Piano - Learning songs from YouTube

Digi-G

Piano - Learning songs from YouTube
« on: 13 Feb 2020, 08:16 pm »
About 7 years ago I bought a baby grand piano.  A Sohmer model from 1931.  I was encouraged by my adult step-son, who plays fairly well.  Although I could play a little guitar I had NO experience with a piano or any kind of (musical) keyboard.  I decided if I was going to own it I would learn to play it and I've used YouTube to great advantage and (if I do say so myself) I've been fairly successful.  No, I can't read music, but my goal was to have fun and learn some things.

Here's a few of the songs I can play.  And I've definitely had fun with it.  What have you learned to play from YouTube?

Beatles - Let It Be
Beatles - Hello Goodbye
Beatles - The Long and Winding Road
Goodbye Stranger - Supertramp
10cc - I'm Not In Love
Pink Floyd - Us and Them
Don McLean - Vincent
John Lennon - Imagine
One Republic - Apologize
Paul McCartney - My Love
Paul McCartney - 1985
Paul McCartney - Single Pigeon
Lean On Me
Til There Was You
Love Me Tender
Stairway to Heaven
A Groovy Kind of Love
Chariots of Fire

There's more that I can't think of now.  I can play a couple of Christmas songs too.

BobM

Re: Piano - Learning songs from YouTube
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2020, 09:19 pm »
I use YouTube a lot for ...

- instructions on car maintenance, like how to replace the cabin filter or a headlight bulb
- technical instructions on "how to" make a certain sound on a synth or get a setting on my recording DAW
- watching stupid animal videos
- and yes, learning how to play something that I don't have sheet music for and won't spend the time to figure out by ear

There's a lot of good info there and I probably saved a lot of $ looking for instructions there first.