glen campbell - who knew he could play amazing lead guitar

smargo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxoJkDQdNBI&list=RDPxoJkDQdNBI&start_radio=1                       at approx 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETkzK9pXMio                                                                               at approx 1;25                               

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PEf7yYCZE                                                                               at approx :30

I wasnt expecting what i heard

2bigears

Re: glen campbell - who knew he could play amazing lead guitar
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2018, 02:08 am »
 :D he was amazing talent.  Good voice too.  To bad about losing him so soon. 
           :D

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2018, 02:40 am »
He was a well known session musician prior to stardom.  Even stood in for Brian Wilson with the Beach Boys for a short time.  I understand some of his guitar work is in Pet Sounds.  Another guitar player superbo is John Fogerty.  I saw him abt 20 years ago and was amazed at his skills.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2018, 02:48 am »
The pros make it look so easy.  :thumb:

Gene

EDS_

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2018, 04:54 am »
He was a well known session musician prior to stardom.  Even stood in for Brian Wilson with the Beach Boys for a short time.  I understand some of his guitar work is in Pet Sounds.  Another guitar player superbo is John Fogerty.  I saw him abt 20 years ago and was amazed at his skills.

Forgive me if I have this wrong but I believe no less an authority than Chet Atkins made a comment something like, "GC makes very difficult progressions and timing changes look like child's play and he plays comfortably around a sloppy singers ". Note Chet Atkins is on Rolling Stone's top 25 greatest guitar players ever list.....IIRC @#21.

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2018, 10:58 am »
You need to watch the documentary The Wrecking Crew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwiTas70pAo

Craig B

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2020, 12:47 pm »
When I was a kid in the '60s, my older brother had an album called "The Astounding 12-String Guitar of Glen Campbell." With the exception of one badly-sung vocal, it was all instrumental tracks, and they were pretty, as the title said, astounding. That was my first exposure to him. Between that, and his work with the Beach Boys and the Wrecking Crew, I was kind of surprised he went the pop vocalist route he did. Of course, it worked out pretty well for him.  :)

Digi-G

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2020, 02:07 pm »
I saw him open for Kenny Rogers, probably in the late 1980s.  Glen Campbell stole the show.  He was amazing!

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2020, 03:31 pm »
I was just out of college, got a job in Dallas, had only been married a few months and early in 1968 we went to a concert because of Bobbie Gentry and her Ode to Billie Joe. The opening act was Glen Campbell. I don't remember if I had heard of him or not and I don't remember anything about the concert. Oh well!  :duh:

Gene

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2020, 03:57 pm »
Well, the third was pretty amazing! ( I do have a slight suspicion it was sped up a bit.)

In his prime - shown a bit on the third one when he was younger - he had a great voice and was a great singer. Those two don't always overlap. Today's singers, as shown by The Voice, etc. have great voices but are just mediocre singers.

spothopster

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:21 pm »
Saw Glen on his Farewell tour.  It was interesting that he forgot "words" to songs but when he took off on lead guitar it just flowed. He looked out on the crowd when he played the lead portions and just smiled.  I have sat close to Clapton, Townshend, Prince and many others and IMO he played lead as well as the best of them.

smargo

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2020, 06:42 pm »
and IMO he played lead as well as the best of them.

everytime i see a youtube video of him playing lead guitar on some song - i take notice - his timing and nuance are amazing