#$%@ my projector died - LG181 thoughts - pics

BobC

Re: #$%@ my projector died
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2010, 01:26 pm »
If its just the power supply it should be a fairly inexpensive fix, if its the main board then well RIP projector

The tech at projectorpeople said power supply would cost $300 - $400.  New bulb is $450.  So I'm looking at probably >$800....too much for a unit this old.

BobC

« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2010, 01:28 pm »
New projector anouncements should be coming out in the next couple of months if you can wait. This usually drives down the cost of this years models and gives you an idea of what the latest and greatest projectors will offer.

I like it...but not sure how long I can put it off.  Football season is coming!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 3 Aug 2010, 02:43 pm »
This has been my pj (I bought refurb too).  An incredible DLP find at 720p that was my "interim pj" while I looked for a good 1080p one.  That was 3 yrs ago and have lived with it since (I'm looking to change now but in the meantime was a great solution).  It reviewed well back in the day, and was blessed by the Joe Kane's of the world for being spot on color-wise.  The refurb price below is $699.
http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-sp-h710ae-home-theater-projector-1280-x-720-wxga-19-84lb/q/listingid/96604090/loc/101/204987575.html

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 3 Aug 2010, 03:23 pm »
I love to hear success stories about the Z2. Mine lasted over 7,000 hours with two bulbs before it started "bleeding" blue all over the projected image. I don't have much in the way of recommendations for you Bob, just wanted to chime in about the Z2.

I still have mine in it's original box stored away safely. I just can't stand the thought of throwing it away. Maybe I'll dig a big hole in the yard and give it a proper burial.

RIP my friend.  :lol:

Bob

BobC

« Reply #24 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:36 pm »
It did a really nice job for the price.  A few nit-picks, but no serious regrets.  Just wish it still worked!   :duh:

I think I paid $1800 in 2004.  Today I can get the Epson 8500UB for $2k.  Nice to see a competitive market pay off  :D 

I'd really have a hard time shelling out $5k or $10k or more for a projector when such performance exists < $2500.

BobC

« Reply #25 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:39 pm »
I must admit though, that I'm considering the purchase of a low cost flat panel (make / model TBD) to "hold me over" until funds allow the purchase of a new projector AND screen.

Then can simply move the TV into another room later.

Talk me out of it!   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:00 pm »
Talk me out of it!   :lol:
Nope. Do it.....Dooooooooo it........  :icon_twisted:

BobC

« Reply #27 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:08 pm »
I can go pick up a 55" Visio from Costco, tonight, for $1350.

Versus what, $2000 for a projector and another $1000 for a screen....   :scratch:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:22 pm »
That's great, but it's not the same as having a 100"+ screen.
But I'd still do it.  :lol:

Why would you need to buy a new screen?

Bob

BobC

« Reply #29 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:29 pm »
"need" is a strong word.

Now I use a DIY sheet of drywall hung on the wall.  I've lusted for a properly selected drop down screen for a long time.

So, yeah, I could postpone the screen.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:39 pm »
"need" is a strong word.
Indeed. Especially for folks with our addiction. HA HA

If you're handy, you can buy bulk screen fabric from Da-lite, Stewart, Carada,. etc....
And build your own screen.
Saves a HUGE amount of money.

Bob

BobC

« Reply #31 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:57 pm »
not sure how I'd build a DIY drop down

on-wall, no problem

but I'd like a drop down to open up the area above my rack and also to pull the screen forward into the room a bit, in line with the speakers.

Ideally accoustically transparent so I can just set the CC on a shelf behind the screen.

Also, like the idea of having a tensioned screen.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #32 on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:28 pm »
We have a 60" 1080P LCD in the living-room and it's just not the same as the 110" in the basement ;)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #33 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:50 pm »
Bob, Do the Sammy refurb!  $600+ and you have a beautiful DLP pj for awhile!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:55 pm »
You could do a DIY hinged screen.
Hinge it at the ceiling, and flip it up when not in use. You could also get fancy and put some acoustic treatments on the back of it for your two channel rig. You know, to tame those first refelction points off the ceiling.  :wink:

Google search for "Torsion panel" for one idea.

Leave a section of the torsion panel open (except for the fabric, of course) for the CC.

Bob

not sure how I'd build a DIY drop down

on-wall, no problem

but I'd like a drop down to open up the area above my rack and also to pull the screen forward into the room a bit, in line with the speakers.

Ideally accoustically transparent so I can just set the CC on a shelf behind the screen.

Also, like the idea of having a tensioned screen.

BobC

« Reply #35 on: 3 Aug 2010, 07:57 pm »
Think I'd rather spring for a new one, since any purchase (large or small) can only be justified by my wife if something is broken.  The refurb may last years!   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 3 Aug 2010, 09:31 pm »
 :lol: HAHA!!! I understand completely Bob. 

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #37 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:36 pm »
You could do a DIY hinged screen.
Hinge it at the ceiling, and flip it up when not in use. You could also get fancy and put some acoustic treatments on the back of it for your two channel rig. You know, to tame those first refelction points off the ceiling.  :wink:

Google search for "Torsion panel" for one idea.

Leave a section of the torsion panel open (except for the fabric, of course) for the CC.

Bob

That's what I did, a DIY hinged screen! I use white canvas, with black felt behind it to stop the light from leaking through.
For a frame I use heavy-duty artists stretcher-bar. The whole screen cost me less than $100.00.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #38 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:17 am »
Yip. Here too Barry.
I used 1/8" Luan on both sides of a 1X4 skeleton for my 140" screen.
I've got four 15" drivers in ("nearish") infinite baffle behind the screen, so fabric stretched wasn't an option for my situation. The screen is doing it's best to keep the rear wave and front waves from mixing.
The entire thing is hinged at the top with several storage shelves back there for stuff (that we don't need access to very often).
If I had to do it all over again, I would have made material weight a larger priority.   :roll: :duh:

Bob

BobC

« Reply #39 on: 4 Aug 2010, 04:11 pm »
So, your DIY screen is hung on the hall and swings out and around.  One side with accoustic treatment and one with the screen?

Or is it hung on the ceiling and swings down to make a screen?