Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D Discussion and Experiences

witchdoctor

Re: Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D Discussion and Experiences
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2019, 03:44 am »
So Auro 3D is an upmixer then? Compatible with what, just surround mixes? Or also stereo?

I know what you mean about the atmos and HDR lighting up. I have a 4k tv in the living room and I see the labels all the time. I figured I could just rent, as an example, the UHD version of a rental from VUDU, and it would just display in 1080p but still stream the atmos audio codec. Now Im thinking my whole plan may be fubar.

Auro 3D is a codec and there are some BRD available in Auro 3D. The Aoro 3D upmixer is called Auromatic and it can be used with everything.

ajzepp

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2019, 05:15 am »
I think the upmixers sound MUCH better than 5.1 or 7.1, no need to wait for a new PJ. If you want native atmos streams you can checkout the workarounds I posted.

Thanks man, you rock...really appreciate the help!

witchdoctor

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2019, 02:46 pm »
When you play an Atmos native mix it is a toss up. Some of the mixes might use the height channels for just a few scenes like a flyover or a rain storm. Other mixes seem like a bit overdone. The upmixers do a pretty good job. Most receivers come with 2 or 3 of them and you can experiment to find the ones most suited to the content you are playing and your room. Auromatic is the only upmixer that let's you adjust it. All of them sound better than standard surround sound. Check out this reviewers opinion of atmos mixes vs the auromatic upmixer on page 3 of the review:

https://www.stormaudio.com/media/wsr_stormaudio_iisp_3d1612_review_december2017lowres__067250400_0949_22122017.pdf

witchdoctor

« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2019, 02:55 pm »
Upgrading to immersive audio is NOT expensive anymore. I was using a $4000 front end in my man cave (Sunfire TG3 processor and a Carver AV 505 amp.) I was addicted to it. Then I picked up a 4K 55 inch TCL TV for less than $300. I decided to break down and get an HDMI/4K capable receiver. You can get a 9 channel receiver these days for less than $500. I moved the Sunfire/Carver setup to a room that is music only. I think the receiver sounds great, and also added room correction and DTS PlayFi capabilities.
My point is don't think this has to be $$$$ investment.

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 1 May 2019, 01:30 pm »
I decided to pull the trigger on Atmos. Putting my Anthem 520 up for sale last night was like tossing a cow into piranha infested waters. It sold in like 15 min, and I got several inquiries after that. I loved my 520, so I'm going to jump into the 720 since I have an extra multi-channel amp sitting around looking bored. It doesn't have Auro-3D, but I've always loved DTS in general, so I think I'll be happy with the DTS-Neural X upmixer.

witchdoctor

« Reply #25 on: 1 May 2019, 02:32 pm »
I decided to pull the trigger on Atmos. Putting my Anthem 520 up for sale last night was like tossing a cow into piranha infested waters. It sold in like 15 min, and I got several inquiries after that. I loved my 520, so I'm going to jump into the 720 since I have an extra multi-channel amp sitting around looking bored. It doesn't have Auro-3D, but I've always loved DTS in general, so I think I'll be happy with the DTS-Neural X upmixer.
[/quote

Congratulations!! If you have a local dealer that can weigh in with a comparison to a Denon or Marantz offering with Auro great. Word to the wise, Dolby and DTS do NOT play nice together. If you are listening to something encoded with Dolby the DTS upmixer is disabled, you can only use Dolby Surround upmixer or the Atmos/DD content. DTS Neural X upmixer will work with most music AND movie content that is DTS encoded like most BRD.
The BIG advantage to Anthem as you know is ARC.

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 2 May 2019, 12:31 am »
I agree, ARC is what I mainly don't want to do without. It completely transformed the cohesiveness of my 5.1 Maggie system in a way that really shocked me, and they're just about to come out with the new iteration of the software. Auro-3D definitely looks very cool, and Anthem literally told me they'll probably never include it in their gear, but I'm too happy with their products to go in another direction. In a couple years I may go back a a pre-pro, though, so I'll revisit Auro-3D capability. I do appreciate you helping me to learn more about these codecs

witchdoctor

« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2019, 02:26 pm »
I agree, ARC is what I mainly don't want to do without. It completely transformed the cohesiveness of my 5.1 Maggie system in a way that really shocked me, and they're just about to come out with the new iteration of the software. Auro-3D definitely looks very cool, and Anthem literally told me they'll probably never include it in their gear, but I'm too happy with their products to go in another direction. In a couple years I may go back a a pre-pro, though, so I'll revisit Auro-3D capability. I do appreciate you helping me to learn more about these codecs

Sure, it is night and day, you are going to really enjoy it. What speakers are you using for bed channels? Any thought yet about what to match them with for height channels?

ajzepp

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2019, 11:32 pm »
I'm currently in the speaker audition phase. I've had some RSL speakers in my back up system that I've really enjoyed, so I just took delivery on two version of their newest line that just came out a few months ago (CG5 and CG25). Probably going to choose either model and use five of those for the base, and then they have a smaller speaker called the CG3 that should be tonally close, and they are easy to ceiling mount with a bracket. Planning to go 5.2.4 since my room isn't too big.

Do you have any idea how to get some atmos demo material? I heard VUDU has some on their site, but it looks like the demo disc that was out a few years ago is no longer available. I'd love to find some good demo material that I can use to evaluate things and also to demo it for others. Any idea?

witchdoctor

« Reply #29 on: 3 May 2019, 02:29 pm »
I'm currently in the speaker audition phase. I've had some RSL speakers in my back up system that I've really enjoyed, so I just took delivery on two version of their newest line that just came out a few months ago (CG5 and CG25). Probably going to choose either model and use five of those for the base, and then they have a smaller speaker called the CG3 that should be tonally close, and they are easy to ceiling mount with a bracket. Planning to go 5.2.4 since my room isn't too big.

Do you have any idea how to get some atmos demo material? I heard VUDU has some on their site, but it looks like the demo disc that was out a few years ago is no longer available. I'd love to find some good demo material that I can use to evaluate things and also to demo it for others. Any idea?

In Vudu do a search fro Atmos and see if it brings up the demo tracks. If you don't have a 4K display many of the atmos streams online will not show up but those demo tracks work fine for me. HDMI needs to "see" an HDMI 2.2 connection since many atmos streams are paired with 4K video.
For demos I recommend using BRD. Get a Sony 4K BRD player and maybe John Wick or one of the Avengers movies for movie content. For music try the atmos blueray by REM:

https://referencehometheater.com/review/rem-automatic-for-the-people-in-dolby-atmos/

or

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 3 May 2019, 09:22 pm »
In Vudu do a search fro Atmos and see if it brings up the demo tracks. If you don't have a 4K display many of the atmos streams online will not show up but those demo tracks work fine for me. HDMI needs to "see" an HDMI 2.2 connection since many atmos streams are paired with 4K video.
For demos I recommend using BRD. Get a Sony 4K BRD player and maybe John Wick or one of the Avengers movies for movie content. For music try the atmos blueray by REM:

https://referencehometheater.com/review/rem-automatic-for-the-people-in-dolby-atmos/

or

I think I'm going to pick up one of those BD players that you recommended previously with the dual HDMI outputs. On the Anthem receivers, I'm pretty sure I can set the video and audio source for each input, so that should work great. Thanks for the tips on the demos...Im going to start installing the Height speakers this weekend. Hopefully by the end of May everything will be up and running.

Thanks again man!

witchdoctor

« Reply #31 on: 5 May 2019, 04:32 pm »
I think I'm going to pick up one of those BD players that you recommended previously with the dual HDMI outputs. On the Anthem receivers, I'm pretty sure I can set the video and audio source for each input, so that should work great. Thanks for the tips on the demos...Im going to start installing the Height speakers this weekend. Hopefully by the end of May everything will be up and running.

Thanks again man!

The Sony 1000ES is the most expensive BRP of the 3 models they offer but has RCA outs and a better build quality. You get a NICE bonus with Anthem receivers, they are part of the DTS PlayFi ecosystem, but that is another thread. :).

Anthem is Partnered With the Leader in Wi-Fi Streaming
Partnered with the leader in Wi-Fi streaming, DTS Play-Fi wi-fi streaming technology supports a host of high quality file formats. Controlled directly from your smart device or computer in any operating system, the “Open Ecosystem” of DTS Play-Fi technology makes it easy to stream music throughout your home, and to add more wireless streaming devices on the fly.

Works with Alexa

Anthem DTS Play-Fi products now have “Works with Alexa” certification, meaning they can be controlled using voice commands given to an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, Fire TV Cube, or other Alexa voice command-enabled device. Alexa functionality is activated by using the Alexa app to enable the DTS Play-Fi skill. This links your Alexa account to "Works with Alexa" DTS Play-Fi compatible products like this one.

After installing the skill, Alexa will know your speaker by name and allow you to control volume and playback functions such as track skip, mute, pause, and stop or request a song to play in a specific room or group of rooms linked together. Once an Alexa voice command is used to start audio playback, the DTS Play-Fi app can be used to dynamically add more products to the streaming session. Additionally, Alexa's Routines feature can be used to create events that initiate audio playback on your DTS Play-Fi speaker, such as setting up your speaker to work as an alarm clock by starting your favorite song.

JDoyle

« Reply #32 on: 5 May 2019, 08:55 pm »

Kept it simple with the upfiring Elac speakers. I found the ceiling speakers were too close to your ears with no dispersion to give any effect.

5.1.2 right now and it's decent. I track my discs with which ones are Atmos and 4K in my Excel doc.

I'm using a very low end Yamaha receiver right now.

Yeah BRM, I recall previously in another thread that you removed the ceiling speakers and then went to the up firing Elac’s.  In just about everything else that I read or see, they seem to prefer the ceiling style. Would you mind elaborating?

Also wondering if anyone has compared Auro 3D to Atmos and has a preference (and why)

Thanks,

JD

ajzepp

« Reply #33 on: 6 May 2019, 01:49 pm »
Front L height channel is up...guess Im committed now lol

witchdoctor

« Reply #34 on: 6 May 2019, 02:28 pm »
Yeah BRM, I recall previously in another thread that you removed the ceiling speakers and then went to the up firing Elac’s.  In just about everything else that I read or see, they seem to prefer the ceiling style. Would you mind elaborating?

Also wondering if anyone has compared Auro 3D to Atmos and has a preference (and why)

Thanks,

JD

For available content Atmos is the winner, hands down., As for SQ my preference is Auro 3D because it is more dynamic on films and more lifelike with music. Auro also let's you dial in the effect for the type of content you are playing and how much you want to engage the height channels. Read the comparison in this review for more info:

https://www.stormaudio.com/media/wsr_stormaudio_iisp_3d1612_review_december2017lowres__067250400_0949_22122017.pdf

WC

« Reply #35 on: 6 May 2019, 02:40 pm »
Witchdoctor,

How do you have your height channels set up? Looking at the AV-7704 marantz processor manual, there are a multitude of options. Some for Atmos and some for Auro 3D.

witchdoctor

« Reply #36 on: 6 May 2019, 03:25 pm »
Witchdoctor,

How do you have your height channels set up? Looking at the AV-7704 marantz processor manual, there are a multitude of options. Some for Atmos and some for Auro 3D.

I use very heavy Paradigm Active 20 speakers so I have them mounted on tall stands in the Auro 3D configuration:

You can see the Paradigm Shift A2 active speaker mounted above the sofa for my VOG and the side height active speaker mounted above the side surround. I now have the surround height speakers tilted down at about 15 degrees since this was taken:

WC

« Reply #37 on: 6 May 2019, 06:59 pm »
I was thinking of going towards Atmos/Auro 3D. I currently have a 5.0 system. I think the Auro 3D 10.1 layout makes more sense, so I will probably go with that layout. Since my ceiling is an acoustic grid system, I need to use speakers for all the height channels. Was thinking the JBL Control 1 Pro speakers should work and are small enough to mount to the grid. Would go with my other JBL speakers. Subwoofers are the first priority. Did you ever try the Dolby IIz upmixer (my Marantz SR-6005 has this, so I may try it out)? Just wondering how much better the Auro 3D upmixer is.

witchdoctor

« Reply #38 on: 6 May 2019, 07:13 pm »
I was thinking of going towards Atmos/Auro 3D. I currently have a 5.0 system. I think the Auro 3D 10.1 layout makes more sense, so I will probably go with that layout. Since my ceiling is an acoustic grid system, I need to use speakers for all the height channels. Was thinking the JBL Control 1 Pro speakers should work and are small enough to mount to the grid. Would go with my other JBL speakers. Subwoofers are the first priority. Did you ever try the Dolby IIz upmixer (my Marantz SR-6005 has this, so I may try it out)? Just wondering how much better the Auro 3D upmixer is.

I never tried Dolby IIz. Re: upmixers Auromatic is superior. The Dolby Surround upmixer is content dependent, on some content it makes SQ better, on some it makes it worse.

Re: your height channels check out JBL Control Now/JBL Control CRV. They would be perfect for an auro 3d install.

https://youtu.be/33oFEmncEKg

JDoyle

« Reply #39 on: 7 May 2019, 02:46 pm »
For available content Atmos is the winner, hands down., As for SQ my preference is Auro 3D because it is more dynamic on films and more lifelike with music. Auro also let's you dial in the effect for the type of content you are playing and how much you want to engage the height channels. Read the comparison in this review for more info:

So (anyone can weigh in), would you recommend Anthem for Atmos and get the ARC? Or get a Denon for Atmos and Auro 3D?  :popcorn:

JD