mcgsxr's basement build

mcgsxr

Re: mcgsxr's basement build
« Reply #140 on: 27 May 2013, 02:41 pm »
I added a Wii for the girls over the weekend, picked one up used on Kijiji. 

They are not that enthused with the games that were included, but I have managed to hook them on Tiger Woods Master's Golf 2012!

Maybe it will inspire them to join me at the driving range, but I am not holding my breath.

At least this way we can play together.

I also added a WD TV Live Plus (another used score off Kijiji) to serve up movies.  Works a treat with the iPad app.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #141 on: 27 May 2013, 03:19 pm »
Yip, your girls are "hooked up" as good as my kids are.
I couldn't imagine having the toys my kids have now, back when I was their age.
Granted, most hadn't been invented yet.....but you get the point.  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #142 on: 18 Nov 2013, 07:10 pm »
The most recent changes in the system are around the front stage.  I was always happy with the Cinema 330's for movies, but for music I always found them wanting.  Of course, having mounted the L and R up high did not help either.

In any case, I began a crusade to find affordable 2 channel speakers that I would love.

I tried out some B&W DM305's, but did not love their treble response in my room.

Last week I bought a set of Paradigm Studio Reference 20's with the recommended stands.  Much better for music, using my Pioneer receiver's Pure Direct mode.

This AM, I decided to try the 20's with one 330 as the center.  I reran the MCACC setup on the Pioneer, and played with subwoofer settings.

The 20's end up as large according to the Pioneer, with the 330 and ADP-190's as small.  Using the Plus setting on the subwoofer and setting the Xover at 50Hz, it gets really good.

For 2 channel use, the 20's play full range, and the sub kicks in at 50Hz.  No mud, just solid bass.  In prior settings, the sub would come in at 80Hz, and was a little muddy on certain recordings.

Its fun when you get it right!

I have settled on the 20's 16 inches out from the front wall, with the 330 still wall mounted, and of course the ADP-190s wall hung in the rear.

I will get around to moving where the speaker wires exit the wall (will likely put in speaker plates down around the height of the remaining 330).

mcgsxr

« Reply #143 on: 15 Sep 2014, 06:35 pm »
Thought I would come back to this thread and update.

Sold the Paradigms 20's and bought a set of Totem Sttaf.

I have put all 3 Paradigm Cinema 330's back up on the wall, and they are now my dedicated HT front stage.

The Sttaf's run off a NAD integrated.

I am about to cut into the front wall behind the display and use the conduit I installed back when doing up the room.  Since I want to have the integrated in the media closet, I need to run another set of in wall speaker cables.

When putting this system together, I underestimated the zaniness of the owner!  Never thought I would go to the lengths of running 2 separate systems in this room.  What was I thinking, I should have KNOWN I would!

In any case, thanks again to the excellent advice about installing conduit, it will be simple to do.  I put in the order for 250 feet of 14/4 CL2 wire, that was I can biwire if feeling Audiofile, or just combine the legs and have roughly 11 awg.

Here is a pic with the NAD still on the floor in front of me...