Six B&G Neo3-PDR tweeter array!

Jon L

Six B&G Neo3-PDR tweeter array!
« on: 1 May 2020, 04:17 am »
My latest ebay purchase is six Neo3 tweeter array in curved steel frame, with passive crossover designed around 1.5khz 24dB/octave, obviously from a custom speaker project. 

I did not realize they were so curved when I bought them, but I assume they should still be used standing vertically.  DC resistance measures at 5.2 Ohms.
I am brainstorming ideas to integrate these Neo3 arrays with my dual 8" bass units, which currently sound awesome crossed over to Radian 475PB compression drivers at 1kHz/18dB via Bryston active crossover.  The horn setup actually sounds fantastic, but this was an impulse buy.  For now, I'm trying to play with alternative presentation, but I may consider just adding the Neo3 as (super)tweeters if that doesn't work out.

When I thought they were straight, I was going to just mount them on some wood panels and stand them up on top of my woofer modules, but since they are so curved, I may need to devise some sort of steel tubing contraption with help of a machine shop.  Any good ideas would be greatly helpful  :D

0430202008 by drjlo2, on Flickr

0430202016 by drjlo2, on Flickr

0430202030 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Six B&G Neo3-PDR tweeter array!
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2020, 05:35 am »
Cool all the way around.

Rocket Ronny

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2020, 03:08 pm »
At the very top octave they beam. So you only hear the output of one driver that you are in line with and get no real interference from the others.

As frequency decreases the signal from each tweeter spreads out and overlaps onto the next. And with the change in offset the time delay causes an out of phase cancellation effect. So the response can become quite a mess in a hurry.

It is one of those ideas that people come up with that they think will be a great idea, but in reality doesn't work at all.

scararabe

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2020, 03:31 pm »
At the very top octave they beam. So you only hear the output of one driver that you are in line with and get no real interference from the others.

As frequency decreases the signal from each tweeter spreads out and overlaps onto the next. And with the change in offset the time delay causes an out of phase cancellation effect. So the response can become quite a mess in a hurry.

It is one of those ideas that people come up with that they think will be a great idea, but in reality doesn't work at all.

Hello,
So how can you explain that the Neo3 line of lines force model give a good result?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2020, 03:54 pm »
Hello,
So how can you explain that the Neo3 line of lines force model give a good result?

Completely different. That's a continues line that is nearly six feet tall. So you (at the listening position) remain in the near field.

So you have about a 4 foot tall range where the response remains constant. Get near the outer ends of the line and the top end will start dropping out from comb filtering.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2020, 04:17 pm »
Hello,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bwU5HagoQo

scararabe

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2020, 04:26 pm »
Completely different. That's a continues line that is nearly six feet tall. So you (at the listening position) remain in the near field.

So you have about a 4 foot tall range where the response remains constant. Get near the outer ends of the line and the top end will start dropping out from comb filtering.

Thanks for the explanation.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2020, 06:46 pm »
As a reference that BG NEO3-PDR line array came from Christie Digital LA-3Si surround speakers.  They are for theater installs for what look high on a wall for large room coverage.

https://www.christiedigital.com/products/cinema/audio/

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2020, 07:48 pm »
As a reference that BG NEO3-PDR line array came from Christie Digital LA-3Si surround speakers.  They are for theater installs for what look high on a wall for large room coverage.

https://www.christiedigital.com/products/cinema/audio/

Ahhh...Thanks for the info.  It makes more sense now.  That actually looks pretty interesting.  Maybe I'll make something similar with smaller woofers and put them on my wall.  Or I could straighten out the curve some more and use in my 2-channel system in semi-nearfield setup. 

Christie Digital LA-3Si by drjlo2, on Flickr

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2020, 06:05 pm »
After some sweat and toil, the system sounds Fantastic  :thumb:
Driving the Neo planars directly via Bryston active crossover, my Elekit 300B amp can play to ear-deafening levels.

0520200941 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2020, 07:22 pm »
After some sweat and toil, the system sounds Fantastic  :thumb:
Driving the Neo planars directly via Bryston active crossover, my Elekit 300B amp can play to ear-deafening levels.

Awesome!  How does it compare to the Radian drivers?

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2020, 09:18 pm »
Awesome!  How does it compare to the Radian drivers?

Funny you should ask...Surprisingly similar(!) considering Radian compression driver/horn is about directivity control and six Neo 3's on a curved array is about dispersion.
Via active crossover, Radian is 107dB/8Ohm and Neo 3 array about 95dB/4Ohm, so Radian still has that micro/macro dynamic "pop" advantage and sounds clearer (aluminum alloy diaphragm).  Six Neo 3 planars spreading the load does result in effortless extension and textural naturalness, and the slightly curved array makes music sound great sitting on the floor to standing up  :thumb: