Eastern Electric DAC Reviews

Audioclyde

Re: Eastern Electric DAC Reviews
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2010, 12:18 pm »
Is anyone using/trying the BNC input, and if so, how does it compare?  I have a bnc version of the HiFace on the way and might go that route rather than directly from the USB of my Mac mini where my music files reside...

Thanks,

Randy

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2010, 08:27 pm »
Very interesting, Bill.  Do you know if something like this might work for those of us without an aes/ebu transport?

http://www.lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=48

$7 bucks may be worth it to experiment.

Gopher,

After looking at the picture again of the cable, the DAC needs a male input AES/EBU

I have a couple of 3 foot and half a dozen 6 foot male RCA to Male AES/EBU input cables so if you would like one free of charge let me know. I will get one out to you ASAP.

Thanks again for your support,
 Bill

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2010, 04:59 pm »
Many thanks, Bill!  Very cool of you to offer. 

Actually this may simplify things for me a good bit as I'll use my CD transport via coax and just run a toshlink to my computer (positioned exactly behind stereo on other side of wall).

It sounds like you and Alex are really convinced this is the way to listen.  Is there something fundamentally different about how the DAC handles different digital inputs?  I imagined the differences would be very negligible due to the state of the art jitter reduction, but I can definitely hear a subtle difference between coax and tosh--still trying to pick a winner.

aloft

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2010, 06:31 pm »
Hey Gopher, as I know your exquisite taste in source devices  :wink: , I am eagerly awaiting your early impressions of the EE DAC in contrast to your resident CDP. Thank you in advance!
M.

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2010, 06:46 pm »
Actually, I won't be A/Bing the two sources.  I didn't want to gush about the product too much, too early, but upon hearing it I boxed up my Berendsen.  It is being traded in to a dealer this weekend towards a Well Tempered Reference turntable.  I am confident and comfortable with this decision.

Though I didn't compare them directly a few quick thoughts while I'm at the office would be:

Both are very musical devices with good PRaT and just a fun presentation.

EE DAC has a bit more body than the Berendsen though not at the expense of speed.

The Berendsen sounded like great, fun digital to my ears, but it was definitely digital--the EE blurs the line with analog a little more. 

I have to experiment a little bit with my system and see whats going on, but the EE DAC has a wee bit more self noise to it than the Berendsen.  At the same time this self noise is not at the expense of resolution...  I think the EE is a little more resolved than the Berendsen.  (I suspect the noise might have to do with my tube rolling selection).

Also, I think the EE does microdynamics a bit better.  Subtle inflections in voices for example seem more noticable--I find this information important as my brain associates that with conveying emotional content.

So far I think I liked the stock tube best with the EE DAC.  I'll probably swap it back in tonight and experiment. 

I suspect this will be my last digital source.  I lived happily with the Berendsen for almost 5 years but this thing fed by a squeezebox is unbelievably convenient.  I'm hoping that between this and my new turntable, I can retire from upgrades again. 

John151

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2010, 07:28 pm »
I'm hoping that between this and my new turntable, I can retire from upgrades again.

:rotflmao:

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2010, 07:43 pm »
Gopher,

Is this self noise you referred to still present when you switch to the op-amp output stage?

Look forward to hearing more impressions.

-Roscoe

Gopher

« Reply #27 on: 26 Feb 2010, 07:46 pm »
I'll try this weekend.  Quite honestly, I haven't spent any time with the opamp output. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2010, 01:28 am »
I have about 43 hours on mine at this point

Gopher

« Reply #29 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:51 pm »
Isn't anyone else going give some initial impressions? 

I already own the product and know I love mine, but I keep checking these threads hoping to find feedback from others! 

Carlman

« Reply #30 on: 2 Mar 2010, 09:15 pm »
If the DAC's are on 24/7, this coming weekend will be the best time to do a real review.  I swear by my 200 hour break-in requirement.  I make no judgements until then.  I'm sure there are many with their own ritualistic obsessions. ;)

pardales

« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2010, 09:32 am »
If the DAC's are on 24/7, this coming weekend will be the best time to do a real review.  I swear by my 200 hour break-in requirement.  I make no judgements until then.  I'm sure there are many with their own ritualistic obsessions. ;)

Good for you! It is hard sometimes but I try to do the same thing when I get new stuff.   :thumb:

Ramón

« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:20 pm »
Hello Everybody :)

I´m hardly deciding between this DAC and the Audio GD DAC19 with DSP competing in a relatively equal pricerange and seem to be stupidly good for the money compared to the "higher end" branded competition. For the EE DAC speaks the two different soundsignatures ( tube ). Good tubeamps are not cheap so i thought that i could save me from buying one if the EE tube give me a similar sound already and be more flexible if i uprgade my speakers sometime in the future. Is this idea wrong or do i need a tube amp anyways for full bodied warm sound with high amount of detail ?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2010, 03:12 pm »
Hi Ramon,

There is nothing like a good tube amp but if on a budget I would go for a warmer sounding tube to throw into the EE DAC that still would retain the detail your also looking for. My preference would be a Mullard longplate 12au7, K61 etched date code in the glass,expensive though at about $100. next would be a Tungsol blackglass 12au7, the going rate for these on Ebay anywhere from $25-$40, or an old RCA blackplate 12au7 square getter tube for $15-$25. These tubes are what some would consider warm or lush sounding which seems to be what your trying to find that your system might not be portraying.

Good luck with whatever way you choose,
 Bill

Ramón

« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2010, 10:41 pm »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, yes my gear and especially my speakers are quite neutral to analytical sounding wich on one side is great with high quality recordings but some music, especially the lower quality ones are sounding to clinical flat atm. The DAC could be a solution and using one of the tubes you mentioned could give those recordings a bit more soul i think. Actually i´m using only an Harman Kardon AVR 5500 with older AKM DA´s in stereo mode after downsizing my surround setup. Never had any  dedicated DAC.

After my basic room threatment finishes i´ll contact you regarding the DAC. Are there any official reviews planned ?

John151

« Reply #35 on: 16 Mar 2010, 03:17 pm »
I have been tube rolling like a mad man trying to dial in the EE DAC.  I started with Mullards in the Candella, and the stock EE tube in the DAC.  After several combinations of tubes, I finally hit the jack pot.  Running circa 1953 RCA JRC tubes in the Candela, and a Dario MiniWatt in the DAC.  All I can say is WOW - this is the exact sound I was looking for! 

John151

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:44 am »
Kinda slow in this thread.  Any more reviews now that the EE DAC has been out for a while?

mobayrasta

« Reply #37 on: 30 Jul 2010, 06:20 am »
My wife just ordered me one. I am so very excited! Expect my review to be posted here after burn in. Will also be doing a full review for www.head-fi.org .

Kinger

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jul 2010, 11:59 am »
Got mine on Tuesday and have been breaking it in with a repeated playlist off the SB Touch since then.  Gave it a brief listen last night for the first time in comparison to the stock analog outs to the Touch.  Not going to comment much yet as it was only a very quick listen and according to Bill the unit really doesn't come into it's own until after 100 hours of break in, but so far I like what I'm hearing :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 30 Jul 2010, 12:05 pm »
Got mine on Tuesday and have been breaking it in with a repeated playlist off the SB Touch since then.  Gave it a brief listen last night for the first time in comparison to the stock analog outs to the Touch.  Not going to comment much yet as it was only a very quick listen and according to Bill the unit really doesn't come into it's own until after 100 hours of break in, but so far I like what I'm hearing :)

Told ya!