Pagan G2G at Richidoo's

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Pagan G2G at Richidoo's
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jun 2016, 08:00 pm »
Thanks! Hope to meet you soon Zoonhollis, good luck in your bike race!!

Thanks. Don't know about epic, but it's always fun, and you're always welcome, George.

It is EPIC, every year!

Happy Bday Rich! Thank you once again for having us come over  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2016, 10:26 pm »
5 days!   :hyper:

PM if you need my address.

nc42acc

« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm »
Rich do you have room for one more. I have a long list of gear if you want to hear anything in particular.

richidoo

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2016, 12:32 am »
Yes, there is still room. Feel free to bring whatever you want.
Rich

sonicxtc

« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2016, 07:58 pm »
If anyone is interested in carpooling from the Charlotte vicinity, please let me know.
Thank you.

sonicxtc

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2016, 05:24 pm »
bump. Anyone care to drive there together?
Thanks.

johnvin01

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2016, 10:01 pm »
Looks like the weather is going to be pretty good this weekend.
Wish I could skip work.
happy birthday and a great fathers day to all

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 17 Jun 2016, 11:33 pm »
Have a Happy Birthday Rich.  :thumb:  I'm sure the rites for the noobs will be entertaining. As many are wont to say, pictures or it didn't happen.  :beer:

richidoo

« Reply #28 on: 18 Jun 2016, 12:08 am »
Thanks Arthur. Already got my camera charged and memory emptied.

Jon we usually go late so drop by later if you feel like it, for the golden hour when we finally decide what gear to relax and listen to. :D

johnvin01

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jun 2016, 12:56 am »
I just may.

PM me address

groovybassist

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jun 2016, 02:51 am »
Rich:

I plan on swinging by tomorrow - may be late afternoon or early evening.

I pm'd you about something else - let me know what you think. Thanks.

-Mike

richidoo

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2016, 02:26 pm »
I took a chance and tore apart my speakers yesterday. Luckily all went well and they are back together playing nicely now. whew!

I added reflex ports. Kairos was originally designed as a ported enclosure, but Jeff Bagby advised me to try them sealed first. Sealed was good, but there was a resonance in the mid/upper bass that I couldn't solve. A friend in Italy had the same problem. I suggested he port them as I was thinking that's what they needed and he said it worked great. So I finally got around to porting mine and they sound much better ported, imo. Jazz tenor players always sounded a little weird, but now they sound right, not just bass but midrange sounds more natural tone now too. The SB driver seems happier with the port, it's EBP is pretty high at 88.

I also replaced the polyfill stuffing with 1/2" stick-on foam from PE. I like it, it applies easily. I had a lot of corner braces and cross braces in the sealed box, so there was a fair amount of surgery to fit the port in the right place. I also put the crossovers back inside the box. I know, I know - way too fancy for me. Those of you accustomed to the "DIY look," with wires all over the place, will just have to adjust.

Mother Nature was messing with me yesterday afternoon as one after another tiny thunderstorms rolled through all afternoon while I was trying to cut and route the ports. Every 15 minutes would change from calm and sunny to hard blowing thunderstorm all afternoon. I kept losing my piece of sandpaper sitting on my saw as it blew under the bushes. Rolling the saw/workbench in and out of the garage many times. But the ports came out great.

I was very excited last night to hear the one finished speaker playing to know that it would sound good, better than before. I was relieved this morning to finish the other speaker at 10AM and listen in stereo. Everything checks out. I'll put a tape measure on the speaker placements and switch over to the tube amps soon.

Kids are cleaning, food is cooked. Time to kick back and watch F1 qualifying before the circus arrives begins!

See you soon
Rich

nc42acc

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2016, 03:20 pm »
Leaving in a few with the Yggydrasil and Gustard X20 in hand. I didn't have time this week to sort out all my HQPlayer and Roon issues so I am leaving the laptop at home. 

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2016, 05:13 pm »
I won't be able to make it as we are in the midst of moving to a new shop today. There might be some items for sale from Audio Artistry, including speakers and electronic parts. I will let everyone know when I have a list.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:03 pm »
It really did happen.  Thanks again to our awesome host and family for allowing us!   :thumb:

nc42acc

« Reply #35 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:46 pm »
Rich thank you very much for your generous hospitality. It was great meeting fellow forum members and audiophiles from our area. I hope this will be the first of many gatherings for me. Thanks again.

richidoo

« Reply #36 on: 19 Jun 2016, 04:29 pm »
Great party! Thanks to all who came, esp those who drove long distance to attend, and those who brought gear and victuals/booze.

Thanks to Marty for the loaner DACs, I look forward to checking them out.

Sol's new I-60 integrated amplifier blew me away.

I finally got to hear Vega DAC on speakers in my own room. Incredible! Thanks Jason for bringing all the cool "computer audio" gear and for playing IT tech to make the technology adapt to our swapping demands.

I took some pics, will post soon.

Thanks to my lovely wife Julie for cooking chili and bringing in pizza, to my lovely daughter Christina for baking delicious choco chip cookies, and to my son Henry for baking the cornbread and vacuuming the house. And to my oldest Richard for watching Le Mans for me. ;)  It is a Happy Father's Day today! I hope all the Dads are enjoying their special day!

Tentative Sept 17 for the next g2g (to be confirmed.) I'm hoping to have the 3 way version of the speakers running by then.

richidoo

« Reply #37 on: 19 Jun 2016, 11:24 pm »
Pics

The beginning:
front Aurelic Vega, Apple Airport, Vinnie Rossi LIO    back: NEC cdp, ARC Ref1 preamp, ARC VT100 amp, Concept TT

Newly ported Kairos speakers, JPS SC3 cable

shy jtwrace, poseidensvoice, stereofool, nc42acc

still shy

We had to call a plumber. At least the autofocus finally worked right for once!

Crank it up! Is the LIO maxed out!?!  No, JRiver volume was turned down.

ATSAH N-Core 500 amps. Kicked ass and took names. Not your father's class D amp. Impressive and fun. Kairos likes big power like this.

The plumber Anand brought some nice wax. Branford Marsalis, Alice in Chains, Tull.

Our resident cable rat, IT tech, all around audio afficionado, jtwrace, did a splendid job all night keeping the digital audio fire blazing. Thanks for everything Jason.

Left to right: Samet I-60 integrated amp, PI digibuss, Kairos, ATSAH 500. Stack from top to bottom: Aurelic Aries Mini, Schitt Yggydrasil DAC, Gustard X20U DAC, NEC CD-730 NOS CDP, Aurelic Vega DAC.

Thelonious the jazz monkey/astronaut still waiting for his rocket to blast off. It almost did lift off with the ATSAH NCore amps.

stereofool in control: His USB drive > his laptop running Foobar > his iFi DAC > I-60 > Kairos, all JPS cables.

My pick for MVP of the night is tie between Aurelic Vega and the Samet I-60 integrated amp. Together, just wow!

GiggityGiggityGiggityYggydrasil, Gustard X20U, NEC CD-730

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #38 on: 20 Jun 2016, 01:27 am »
Lol! You hit all the highlights!  :lol:

Best,
Anand.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #39 on: 20 Jun 2016, 01:49 am »
Looks like you guys had a great time.

Rich,

Can you say more about your speakers?

I think they were a kit?

George