Anyone here doin any DHT DIY ?

drummerwill

Anyone here doin any DHT DIY ?
« on: 18 Feb 2012, 03:04 am »

Dudes
   I check this forum every now and then..;.... and everytime I look I don't see much on DIY.

Whatsup !  Everrybody's using Store bought ... huh ?

Have Fun !
  Willie

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Anyone here doin any DHT DIY ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2012, 03:06 am »
Just a bit of DIY goin on over here  :roll:

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2012, 03:11 am »
Bob does a Bunch of OB stuff and Turbo is a Manufacturer, Vapor Audio that live here to too.  Are you designing something new?

sturgus

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2012, 03:22 am »
Willie, After hearing your DIY stuff I just gave up.  :lol:
Sturgus

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2012, 01:45 pm »
Willie, After hearing your DIY stuff I just gave up.  :lol:
Sturgus
ha ha That's funny!

Yea, between Ryan, Scott, and myself, we should just about have speaker building covered. Got something in mind?

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2012, 04:08 pm »
Although I'm not working on a DHT, I'm just getting ready to start some twin triodes  :thumb:

Before the winter gets away, I want to get my tubed phonostage [finally] built. Willie, this is something you can appreciate, I salvaged a pair of transformers out of a pair of old Roberts (Akia) M-8 reel to reel amps and I'm going to use them to drive the phonostage. These have more than ample current delivery though the B+ voltage is just a tad low at 250v. That's OK, after looking at the 12AX7 chart, it's still pretty linear at that lower voltage.

This will be a true dual mono design with a pair of 6x4s as a rectifier.  I've been bouncing ideas (and modeling) on PS filtration off Mike Galusha. We had [basically] the same thoughts though he added a couple extra RC stages after the Pi. It only ate up about 6 volts but it got the ripple down to less than 1mV. As you know, that's a big deal in a phonostage.

I need to order the PS parts and some copper plate then get this thing done. I'm going to do a two chassis design with an umbilical to the phonostage (proper). I'm doing a polished copper plate top and some sort of exotic wood sides. I haven't decided if I want the PS caps exposed or concealed. I'll probably go concealed. I'll probably go with flat black on the transformers.

Oh, I've got a spare pair of phonostage boards for my big Korato that is what I'll be using. Actually, I'll pull the ones in use now as they have the V-Cap Teflon coupling caps and use them in the new PS. I've got some other decent caps I'll use in the replacement PS for the big Korato.

After that one, it's on to building new enclosures for my Tannoy 12s :thumb: They're taking the place of the KoRnZilLas in the exercise room.

drummerwill

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2012, 09:35 pm »

Sounds like a fun project Scott....If those 12ax7 uses Bypass caps on the Cathode ... then
we need to talk.

Have Fun!
  Willie