Remote control - Finally!

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« on: 6 Feb 2003, 03:00 pm »
Hello!

Finally the remote control is done! It worked out really well and the first pre-built kit with remote is being built now. Here are some details:

1 - The remote control is designed to  be used in new kits (or prebuilt kits) or to be retrofitted to existing kits. For new kits we ship from here I can pre-drill the holes for the remote. For retrofits you will have to drill a few holes to mount the PCB and route the power connector into the case.

2- When the remote is used 2 additional plates are supplied for the front panel. The motor mount slots that allow belt tension adjustment are part of these plates - which would be difficult to drill in the field.

3- It likely takes a couple of hours to install the remote mod. Mostly layout and drilling time and taking stuff appart and putting it together. No soldering is needed - there are screw terminals on the PCB that the motor leads wire to.

4- The remote can be ordered as an option if you are doing your own case. It's pretty easy to mount the motor to the front panel and find a spot for the small 3" x 1.7" PCB.  The PCB has an 8" extender cable with the IR reciever on the end. Typically the PCB will mount to the back panel and the IR reciever routed to the front.

5- The remote mod includes:

- The remote PCB
           - 12 VDC Power adapter.
           - Remote control handset
           - The Stepper Motor c/w timing belt pulley
           - Timing belt
           - Timing belt pulley and shaft extension for the Seiden switch.
           - Standoffs to re-mount the siden switch placing the pulley in the right location.
           - 2 additional plates for the front panel
           - Drilling templtes for the hole patter to drill for the PCB mount and power jack hole.

6- The remote control thinks it's a Daewoo TV. If you wish to use a different remote control - just tell it to be a Daewoo TV!

7- I will soon have a dact attenuator here to test if the stepper motor will spin that. If it works out then anyone with an active preamp using a dact attenuator could use the mod to add remote control to their stuff.

8- When the remote is added you still get full use of the front panel level control knob.

I had hoped to keep the price of the remote to $200.00 but it's going to be $225.00 as an option to the kits or $205 if you are using it with your own case (and don't need the additional front plates).

Now the bad news - delivery! All parts are here except the motors. I only had a couple I'd bought for prototyping but someone scooped the remaining stock from the supplier and it will be 6 weeks or so at this point before I get my hands on them. I am speaking to the manufacturer every week and will post an update when I get a nice solid ETA.

If you have a kit on order or would like one sooner I have an option that works fine. There is a smaller motor in stock that will work great if you back off the detent of the Seiden switch. It just does not have the poop to turn the switch with the detent set to full. The detent is easily adjusted with a set screw and can be resturned to the standard detent at any time. I can supply these motors now and then if you find you want to crank the detent back in I can send down the larger motor when it arrives. The second motor will cost $20.00 + shipping so it adds a bit to the price. I am doing this for a few folks already and please e-mail me if you want to get a kit now with the smaller motor as I am buying a batch of those in the next day or two.

This post is getting rather long so I'd better stop here! I did want to add a special thanks to Marbles who basically bugged me until I came up with a way to do the remote control for the kits - Thanks Marbles!

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2003, 07:29 pm »
hi john,

will ya have these to retrofit into other preamps?  my melos music-director uses two remote-control alps pots, one for each channel.  one button on the remote operates both pots, a second operates only one, to effect balance...  i'd be happy to have only one button per pot, if i could get a better single-resistor style ladder attenuator...

regards,

doug s.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2003, 07:47 pm »
Hello!

I'm working with the DACT guys to use it on their stuff as well. It's going to take a bit of testing and playing. Also we need to come up with the mechanical stuff like mounting and shaft extensions, etc. I'd guess that'll be a couple months away before it's a 'package' you could just order. The board is also designed to run morotized pots as well but I have not played much with that yet....

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2003, 08:04 pm »
thanks, john.  dact has been threatening to come out w/motorized ladder attenuators for a couple years, now...  mebbe, w/your help, they'll  really do it!   :)

regards,

doug s.

Bequerel

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2003, 07:56 am »
Hello John, glad to hear that the remote option comes along nicely!

Two questions regarding the remote PCB:

1) What is the power requirement for the AC-adapter. Will 12VDC/1A be sufficient? (Thinking about making my own PSU in a nice chassis.)

2) What is the maximum current capability of each of the three relay outputs on the PCB? (Thinking about driving LEDs in addition to relays to show which input is active.)

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2003, 08:11 pm »
Hello!

Sorry for thye delayed reply - I was away for a couple days R&R. Just back now to a stack-o-e-mail.

The remote board is designed to take 12VDC and 1 amp is lots. The standard supply I send with the mods is 12VDC at 800mA unregulated. There is a 5V reg on the board for the control circuits so you can feed it unregulated DC if you like.

The relay outputs are the same as the stepper motor outs. They are rated for 0.5A but I'd keep it under 200mA or so. Lots to drive a modest size relay and an LED so no problem there.

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

Bequerel

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2003, 07:57 am »
Thank you for info on the remote PCB, John! I suppose that there are a lot of creative minds out there now thinking about their next project!

Nikko

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2003, 06:07 pm »
Has anyone ever seen the volume control setup in an Ayre K-1x with the remote option? They use motorized Shallco attenuators.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2003, 06:14 pm »
i've seen pics - s-pile reviewed the top-line ayre a few years ago, & they had pics of the innards.  may also be a pic on ayre's site, i'm not sure...

one stepper motor flanked by two mono pots.  connected by mini-tractor belts.  so, afaik, no way to control balance w/that configuration, as the one motor operates both pots simultaneously...

doug s.