Omega's and Musical Paradise MP 301 Mk3 Opinions neede!

vinylhi

Aloha,

First post here. Lot's of great information in this forum and thanks to all who contribute.

I have one of these integrated SET amps on the way and was considering pairing it up with the Super 7 Mk 2 speakers. There's a chance I could pony up the difference and get the CAM's instead. Would love to hear from owners of any who may help me make my decision. Louis was quick to respond to my first questions recently and I really want to buy one of his speakers. I think his philosophy is exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks,
Nick

Dmason

Re: Omega's and Musical Paradise MP 301 Mk3 Opinions neede!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2019, 03:01 pm »
My own general view is that if you are going to run Omega speakers, and already have a tube amp, I would strongly suggest ponying up, and get the CAM Alnico.  Tubes bring the life, and Alnico brings the colour.

Second argument; life is too short not to have tubes AND Alnico. The CAM's are stunningly musical speakers.

All of Louis' designs sound great, and are only magnified with tubes.

NoDisco

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2019, 04:32 pm »
I have it's bigger brother hooked up to some Omega SAMs. Put it this way. I play a lot less with my other equipment. Garry is a little bit hard to get ahold of, but his products are excellent. Far better than you would think. My only quibble is that his power estimate may be a little off, but that's by ear. I usually run tube or SS monos. Haven't felt the need to unplug his stuff since I got it. I also play with lower volume.

People have griped in the past about quality control. The MP501 I got was extremely well packed. As good as anything from other brands I've had in my house.

YMMV

jmolsberg

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2019, 05:58 pm »
^ won't argue this but....  what is your musical preference? I've heard them all, minus the 8" driver, and they all sound great! specially with tubes!
like everything else there is tradeoff between the different drivers/speakers. in the end you can't lose with Louis (:

vinylhi

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2019, 11:56 pm »
Thank you for the replies! I listen to a bit of everything but for the really focused listening I really enjoy jazz (Bill Evans, Joe Pass, Ella, Sarah Vaughn...) and small scale classical (piano,string quartets..). I want to try to enjoy "music" more than "recordings" if that makes sense.

jmolsberg

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2019, 12:18 am »
The CAM is the ticket now Save your $$

vinylhi

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2019, 12:33 am »
I have it's bigger brother hooked up to some Omega SAMs. Put it this way. I play a lot less with my other equipment. Garry is a little bit hard to get ahold of, but his products are excellent. Far better than you would think. My only quibble is that his power estimate may be a little off, but that's by ear. I usually run tube or SS monos. Haven't felt the need to unplug his stuff since I got it. I also play with lower volume.

People have griped in the past about quality control. The MP501 I got was extremely well packed. As good as anything from other brands I've had in my house.

YMMV

This will be my third piece of gear from Garry. It's amazing for the money and the one time I had an issue he resolved super quick. Consider me a fan of Musical Paradise!

NoDisco

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2019, 02:25 pm »
^ won't argue this but....  what is your musical preference? I've heard them all, minus the 8" driver, and they all sound great! specially with tubes!
like everything else there is tradeoff between the different drivers/speakers. in the end you can't lose with Louis (:

Musical preference is like time of day for me. It's always changing. The sound you get from the SAMS varies, and I've had great success with high powered monos. I do cheat and use Townshend Supertweeters. The effect is audiable. I've heard the smaller drivers in other people's setups. I love the 8 inch driver. It does 95% of the stuff I want correctly. I went and heard a local manufacturer's setp with a very reputable larger and $$$$$$ speaker. I left smiling. I finally realized I didn't need or really want anymore equipment. Well, sans a pair of Tannoy Ardens in a few years. If omega ever comes out with a larger driver...

JB2386

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2019, 04:45 pm »
I haven't heard the Super 7 MK II's so can't comment on them but I can comment on the SAM's and the High Output SAM's.  Both are exceptional with tubes, I was pushing SAM's with a Decware 2 watt SE84UFO2 amp and the combination was awesome.  I have a fairly large listening area (22'X24') and was surprised at how that combination filled the space, I didn't want for higher dB levels but for a little more bass.  I spoke to Louis and he suggested either pairing them with a couple Deep Hemp subwoofers or upgrade to the High Output SAM's.  Having messed with trying to incorporate subs before and knowing the wife would ask "what are those and why do you need them?" I opted for the HO version and haven't looked back.  I'm not sure what Louis' current policy is but he offered to take my SAM's back in a trade to offset the cost differential of buying the HO SAM's!!!!  I now swap between the 2 watt Decware amp and a 10 watt LTA ZOTL10 in my system and they both work famously!!!  Couldn't be happier.  I'm lucky as I live in CT and was able to visit Louis at his shop on more than one occasion before I made my upgrade decision.  If at all possible, make a visit, I am sure he would let you listen to whatever speakers he has on hand in his shop with your own amp.  If not then trust whichever model you opt for will sound amazing with your Musical Paradise amp because they will.  Long story short, LOL, I would kick in the extra $500 and get the CAM's.  Also seek out some of Canada Rob's posts here, he can compare the 7's to the CAM's better than most.               

Dmason

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2019, 11:52 pm »
My final argument; three years ago I convinced an old friend to try the small floor standing 5" and it was a big success. And they sounded almost unbelievably good in this large-ish heavily furnished room. I brought over my beloved old Fisher X19 ELL80 integrated to  let him behold the proceedings: transformative.  Later on I started talking about Alnico, guitar speakers, Leslie speakers, and then mentioned at one point OMEGA Alnico speakers. He popped for the CAM's and my god does it sound good in there. Big sound. The only alternative with that level of sonic magic in my opinion is Altec, and that is cumbersome, old, and no guarantee of success at this point. There is nothing out there that has that yummy, warm, crisp, beauty.

The Fisher amp is now on permanent loan in an appropriate setting for it.

vinylhi

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2019, 12:51 am »
Man, you guys are making me drool about alnico magnets. I really enjoy jazz guitar and can imagine how thats going to sound with the SET. This is literally the only new speaker I am considering. I love the value in used gear but I'm going to make an exception here.

vinylhi

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2019, 12:56 am »
I haven't heard the Super 7 MK II's so can't comment on them but I can comment on the SAM's and the High Output SAM's.  Both are exceptional with tubes, I was pushing SAM's with a Decware 2 watt SE84UFO2 amp and the combination was awesome.  I have a fairly large listening area (22'X24') and was surprised at how that combination filled the space, I didn't want for higher dB levels but for a little more bass.  I spoke to Louis and he suggested either pairing them with a couple Deep Hemp subwoofers or upgrade to the High Output SAM's.  Having messed with trying to incorporate subs before and knowing the wife would ask "what are those and why do you need them?" I opted for the HO version and haven't looked back.  I'm not sure what Louis' current policy is but he offered to take my SAM's back in a trade to offset the cost differential of buying the HO SAM's!!!!  I now swap between the 2 watt Decware amp and a 10 watt LTA ZOTL10 in my system and they both work famously!!!  Couldn't be happier.  I'm lucky as I live in CT and was able to visit Louis at his shop on more than one occasion before I made my upgrade decision.  If at all possible, make a visit, I am sure he would let you listen to whatever speakers he has on hand in his shop with your own amp.  If not then trust whichever model you opt for will sound amazing with your Musical Paradise amp because they will.  Long story short, LOL, I would kick in the extra $500 and get the CAM's.  Also seek out some of Canada Rob's posts here, he can compare the 7's to the CAM's better than most.               

Great stuff you have there! Being a former New Englander (RI) I would love to go see Louis but living in Hawaii now might make that a bit of an issue! Even his shipping quote was very reasonable as thats the toughest thing about being an audiophile out here, not that I'm looking for sympathy! Good to hear trhat your 2 watt amp works well in such a large room. I have a whopping 6wpc and a smaller space.

RDavidson

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2019, 01:08 am »
CAMs. Get them. Don't look back. I have one of the first pair made and they're internally wired with ZenWave. The speakers are so good. I've used them with many Pass and First Watt amps, but also am a fairly recent owner of a Decware SE84UFO and the combination is as good as people have repeatedly stated.

rar1

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2019, 12:13 pm »
I own both the Super 7 MKII and the Compact CAM.  They are both enjoyable and both different sounding.  I have also owned the Super 3i previously. 

The Super 7 MKII play loud and clean and enjoyably so.  You can juice these speakers and they do not break up.  The use of the 7" driver makes a huge difference in terms of how much output you get from the speaker.  This speaker sounds like a big speaker, especially when compared with the plethora of 5 1/4" bookshelf speakers out there, including the Super 3i.   The Super 7 MKII certainly sounds bigger than the 6" driver used in the Compact CAM. 

The Compact CAM's strength is nuance.  I never paid as much attention to Elton John's singing technique until I listened to his 'Live with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra' album, especially the song  'The Greatest Discovery."  It took me awhile to warm up to these speakers and notice the differences over the Super 7s.  Break in was much longer than what I experienced with the Super 7s.  The CAMs force me to stop and listen, as opposed to the Super 7s, where I could do and focus on other things and still listen.  The Cams will draw you in and almost hypnotically so.   

I doubt you can wrong with either. 

I am using the CAMs currently with a Rega Brio, the new Technics 1210 GR turntable, and a UNICO CD player. 

Rich

Dmason

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2019, 02:12 pm »
"I really enjoy jazz guitar..."

...well, there you are. That, to me is the greatest argument yet!  And, if you -know- jazz guitar, like, Gibson ES175, Fender Twin, Metheny, Ellis, Pass, Howe, Montgomery, noodlings, octaves, on hollow body Gibson ES jazz guitars with Alnico pickups being amplified by tubes, then you are in for a treat with this stuff. Hammond organ? Play Telegraph Road or Joey D.  ...and I remember the look on my friend's face.

You, much like my friend, will never be able to go back. You will become a musical Dorothy, lost forever in a sonic Oz of chromatic splendour and  dimension, with no  wish nor any intention of ever returning to the music of ..Kansas. ...  all this, in Hawaii?

vinylhi

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2019, 03:05 pm »
As tempted as I was by those Compact 8's in white/zebrawood (more efficiency and no wait!), I just ordered my CAM's in ebony. Louis has been so great to deal with and I really enjoy the personal aspect of companies like this. Now comes the hard part.......the wait! At least it gives me time to clean and organize more records! Thanks to all for the advice.

Dmason

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2019, 05:48 pm »
We will be interested in your progress. Please share!

You have made an exceptional decision especially as you enjoy jazz guitar with Alnico pickups being played through tube amplifiers.  .. wait til you hear what Hammond organ sounds like, or ALL those other instruments similarly amplified.

vinylhi

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2019, 06:09 pm »
Got a couple of recommendations for some good Hammond B3 jazz albums?  I do have about 3 or 4 Jimmy Smith records.

I can't tell you how excited I am to get these speakers. I never buy new, so much value out there in used gear, but I so dig Louis' hands-on approach and the fact that a bunch of you guys reached out to offer you advice and opinions. I look forward to updates and reviews after what will seem like an interminable wait! Louis if you're reading this....stop and get back to the shop!!

Dmason

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2019, 08:49 pm »
one of the best aspects of Omega speakers is that you get Louis in the deal. the entire thing becomes personalized process and you pick up a new friend in the transaction.

ihor

« Reply #19 on: 4 Nov 2019, 12:58 am »
Vinyl hi, I run my SAMs with a hybrid integrated, an 80 w/ch Unison with solid state amp and tube (2 - 12au7s) preamp.  Incredible synergy between the Unison and SAMs.  Frisell/Morgan (Small Town and Epistrohy) as well as Frisell’s ‘Music IS’ have been playing quite a lot the last 2 months, and his guitar sounds simply amazing through the SAMs.  Can’t recommend the SAMs enough!!!