KAB Threaded Spindle and Clamp

BikeWNC

KAB Threaded Spindle and Clamp
« on: 19 Dec 2006, 02:27 am »
I finally received my back-ordered threaded spindle and record clamp from KAB Electronics this past week.  I have not used a clamp before and the idea made sense to me.  Besides, most reviews favor some kind of clamp system to hold the record firmly to the platter.  Installation was a snap and took perhaps 10 minutes. 

At first I had a hard time deciding what had happened to the sound coming from my TT.  The combination of the Herbies mat and the clamp just didn't work for me.  It seemed over-damped as if the leading edge of transients were lost.  Bass also suffered.  So I replaced the Herbies mat with the stock heavy rubber Technics mat, flat side up.  After some fiddling with VTA to compensate for the difference in mat thickness I was finally satisfied.  Back came the attack and more so.  The bass was more solid and defined.  Overall another nice improvement to the 1200.  I guess the clamp does what it is designed to do.  It removes the last bit of smear that slows the attack and fattens the bass.  While not cheap, it works for me.  Perhaps less expensive solutions can be devised but the end result is attractive and maintains the fit and finish of the original setup. 

Andy

1200sl mk2
external ps
damping trough
threaded spindle and clamp
mapleshade heavyfoot threaded brass feet
teflon plumber's tape wrap of tonearm
Zu Cable Xaus RCA cables

Arlequen

• - In Stylus Veritas -
Re: KAB Threaded Spindle and Clamp
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2006, 11:01 am »
external ps

Hello Bike,

How works that External PS? .. I still own the 1200MKII and would be interesting to improve this black swan  :wink:

Psychicanimal

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2006, 12:33 pm »
The outboard PS is killer.  The only thing is that Kevin supplies a 24 ga DC power cord & that simply is not acceptable.  I made my own w/ 18 ga solid core copper and the improvement was BIG!  Also, I use a 11 ga Jena Labs cryo'ed Tice PC3 power cord--more slam!

BikeWNC

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2006, 01:24 pm »
As PA said, the external PS is a big improvement. 

PA, the cable you replaced is the thin grey cable that plugs into the DC output of the PS?  Did you re-use the original connector or find another? 

gooberdude

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2006, 02:50 pm »
Hey Andy,

If you have Herbie's Way Excellent mat, try out the matching clamp made for it....herbie's Sonic Stabilizer puck.  Its a combo that should not be dismissed, and you may find much more satisfaction.  Its $30 but comes with a trial offer like all of Herbie's products.

KAB's clamp operates by attaching to the spindle, right?   herbie's stabilizer does not.

matt

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2006, 05:10 pm »
PA, the cable you replaced is the thin grey cable that plugs into the DC output of the PS?  Did you re-use the original connector or find another? 

Correct--I threw away that poor grey thing.  Rat Shack has the connectors and the wire.  I'm sure something like a Revelation cable using cryo'ed silver would be killer.  Just make your own--I'm sloppy at soldering but it worked!!! :thumb:

My suggestion:  get some shielded power cable from VenHaus & make your own power cord for the PS.  Wear a seat belt when you turn on the music. :lol:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:03 am »
I agree with Gooberdude, I use this combination of Herbie's on my Systemdek IIX with great satisfaction. The Super Sonic Stabilizer is the best clamp I have tried.  :thumb:

BikeWNC

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2006, 12:31 am »
I'll look into the Herbie's clamp.  Thanks.

Andy