Preping a tube amp for storage..

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Preping a tube amp for storage..
« on: 26 Mar 2017, 02:25 pm »
I have an amp that I would like to keep but won't be using for some time.
What is the best way to go about this so it will be viable for the next time I want to use it?

Have done a bit of research on the interweb but with all of the experience here on AC I would trust the advice here more.
Thanks.

JohnR

Re: Preping a tube amp for storage..
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2017, 03:40 pm »
Well... what length of time are we talking about? If it's more than a couple of years, it's not going to be "stored" somewhere that is dry, and it doesn't have sentimental value, then I would say sell it and buy another when the time comes. I say that having done it all wrong.

Bob2

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2017, 06:51 pm »
Well... what length of time are we talking about? If it's more than a couple of years, it's not going to be "stored" somewhere that is dry, and it doesn't have sentimental value, then I would say sell it and buy another when the time comes. I say that having done it all wrong.

Well the length of time in storage is uncertain.
I have tried selling but the cost of shipping 60 lbs scares off most buyers.  So I'll probably store it and let my heirs figure out what to do with it.

It will be stored in a closet so will not see temp fluctuations. Will store in sealed plastic bag with some desiccant packs.
Should tubes be removed?
Should pin sockets be treated with something? Rust shouldn't be an issue..
Any reason to think the caps will survive a lengthy hibernation?

Thanks JohnR

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2017, 07:06 pm »
I would also suggest selling it. If you ever find you regret selling, you'll be able to buy it back for half of what you sold it for. The market continues to shrink.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2017, 08:29 pm »
I kept an Carver Silver 9T in its original package from 1993 to 2015 til its sale and the only prob was a light humidity inside the pastic bag, I had put not enough silica to absorb moisture.
I suspect a cloth bag would be better, expose the amp to sun in a dry day will help, good indeed is live in a dry area away from industry plants.

We have here a factory of dairies/milk processing plant to about 10km, after this industry began to run metal things as taps and windows began to rust and people who live by near have many health problems mainly elderly and children.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2017, 10:03 am »
Well the length of time in storage is uncertain.
I have tried selling but the cost of shipping 60 lbs scares off most buyers.  So I'll probably store it and let my heirs figure out what to do with it.

It will be stored in a closet so will not see temp fluctuations. Will store in sealed plastic bag with some desiccant packs.
Should tubes be removed?
Should pin sockets be treated with something? Rust shouldn't be an issue..
Any reason to think the caps will survive a lengthy hibernation?

To my mind the key issues would be cosmetic problems due to rust, and aging of components that age - electrolytic capacitors in particular. I personally wouldn't worry about too much else relative to those two (I can't imagine tube sockets rusting for example).

AFAIK dessicant will only last a short period of time.

Bob2

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2017, 01:05 pm »
I kept an Carver Silver 9T in its original package from 1993 to 2015 til its sale and the only prob was a light humidity inside the pastic bag, I had put not enough silica to absorb moisture.
I suspect a cloth bag would be better, expose the amp to sun in a dry day will help, good indeed is live in a dry area away from industry plants.

We have here a factory of dairies/milk processing plant to about 10km, after this industry began to run metal things as taps and windows began to rust and people who live by near have many health problems mainly elderly and children.

Thanks for the response FRM. Just trying to makes sure it outlasts me.. I guess. Sounds kind of tough with that processing plant causing issues.
Not much of anything like that here but good to know never the less.
Does your cat guard all of your gear?

JohnR thanks for your insight also. I will look into what to expect from desiccant. I have about 5 lbs remaining that I used to refill a dryer I had for my compressed air source.
I share your thoughts on the capacitors. I'll include a note to fire it up with my variac  upon reopening.  As for cosmetics most is anodized aluminum. Tube sockets are more the issue.

Thanks again everyone!