75-85" TV recommendations???

Rusty Jefferson

Re: 75-85" TV recommendations???
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2023, 01:10 pm »
.... the resolution on the OLED is better being 4k vs 1080p, I suppose I was expecting it to be "the same but better." But it's not that, it's a completely different thing :)
I'm having a similar experience with my new oled vs plasma. There appears to still be little native 4k content being broadcast and upscaling just doesn't look as good. Only major sporting events appear to be in 4k, not daily games? Is there some video equivalent of Qobuz I'm not aware of? Is everyone watching upscaled tv?:D

lewdogg

« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2023, 04:08 pm »
LG G3 series, Samsung S95c, or Sony A95L. All extremely good units.

GentleBender

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2023, 09:28 pm »
Hi, it's an LG C2. I've turned off HDR in the source (ATV 4k) and on the TV, turned off power saving. I didn't turn off ASBL but there's been a firmware update recently apparently to address that. In Standard mode I've raised the black level and tweaked various other settings. I don't remember where Gamma ended up being set. The room is lit but not brightly.
I'll try it for a few days and switch back to the plasma and see. Ofc the resolution on the OLED is better being 4k vs 1080p, I suppose I was expecting it to be "the same but better." But it's not that, it's a completely different thing :)

Hi John. Some TVs need some tweaking to get the best out of them. I started with Rtings setting and tweaked them to my liking. It takes some time, but it is worth it. No different than audio. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c2-oled/settings

I hope this helps.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2023, 10:22 pm »
There's a bunch of technology out there that I'm slowly getting up to speed on.  And, much like stereo, you pick your compromises.   
I'm looking to spend under $2K to move on from an older Samsung Plasma 3d that I've had for a good while.  My wife and I watch 3-4 movies a week.  Mostly streaming, some Blu-ray. 
Any specifics to look for? Anything to avoid?

This one seems attractive...    TCL 85-Inch QM8 QLED 4K Smart Mini LED TV
https://www.amazon.com/TCL-85QM850G-Accelerator-Streaming-Television/dp/B0C1J4FKS2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1B86NWTPSD77M&keywords=tcl%2Bq8m%2B85%2Binch&qid=1700358807&sprefix=tcl%2Bq8%2Caps%2C338&sr=8-2&th=1

If looking at the TCL, also check out the Hisense - 85" Class U8K 2023 Model Mini-LED QLED 4K UHD Smart Google TV 1,799.99 or the 75" for 1,299.99 at Bestbuy.

Or you could just say WTF and get this

1969jets

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2023, 08:59 pm »
I have a smaller OLED LG C3 (65") which is really nice at the price point but needed another larger TV for a different room.  Having had good results with Sony OLEDs in the past, I opted for the 83" Sony A80L.  Needed some configuration to make it pop, but it has an exceptional picture, especially for upconverted video, e.g., HD to 4k.  It would not be great in a super-bright room as the panel doesn't get nearly as bright as some of the new 77" OLEDs (from Sony/LG) or LCD-based tech, but if you have the right room for it it is amazing.

JakeJ

« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2023, 01:29 am »
Head up!  Costco has a 65" Sony OLED for $1700 that looks interesting and has the usual Costco added protection plan extending warantee for a couple of extra years.  If the size works for you, they do offer 77" and 83" but the bucks go up.

This is the one.

About three years ago I bought a 65" Samsung QLED and I'm happy with it.  At the tie OLED was new and very expensive and the Samsung was $1,500 and that was my budget.  Next home theater upgrade is an HTPC.

Freelance22

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2024, 09:08 am »
My 77" LG OLED (C8) is going on 6 years old and continues to look wonderful. The room it's in is large and used for TV viewing only at night in light-controlled conditions with streaming content (no cable TV/no cable channels with obtrustive onscreen logos).

Maybe I just got lucky, but the picture on this C8 continues to impress, both with 4K and upscaled content. The brightness of this TV is more than sufficient for me.

1BionicEar

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2024, 12:12 am »
If you can control light/glare, LG OLED hands down.  If not Samsung/Sony/etc LED.