Schiit Aegir

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Schiit Aegir
« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2019, 02:00 pm »
anyone know how it compares to the First Watt F7 or any of the other First Watt offerings?

I've heard most of the Schiit and most of the First Watt stuff (including the SIT amp).  IMO, it's not a fair comparison.  The Schiit is good for the money, but the First Watt amps are some of the best in the world, regardless of price (if you can get by with only 25 watts). 

fredgarvin

« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2019, 03:16 pm »
I've heard most of the Schiit and most of the First Watt stuff (including the SIT amp).  IMO, it's not a fair comparison.  The Schiit is good for the money, but the First Watt amps are some of the best in the world, regardless of price (if you can get by with only 25 watts).

What was the system composed of that you listened to the Aegir's on? Was it single or monoblocks?

Tyson

« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2019, 03:19 pm »
What was the system composed of that you listened to the Aegir's on? Was it single or monoblocks?

Not the monoblocks.  Dang, I didn't see them, if they were at RMAF this year. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2019, 05:14 pm »
Not the monoblocks.  Dang, I didn't see them, if they were at RMAF this year.
unfortunately I couldn't go and i haven't heard any of their amps.

mick wolfe

« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2019, 05:31 pm »

Exactly.... my friend asked me how I liked my Vidar. I told him it's a superb value at $699. Doesn't do anything wrong and is built very well. Does it compare with his Luxman 507ux, NO. But than again the Luxman lists for roughly 10x as much.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2019, 05:39 pm »

I have not heard a First Watt amp but I did hear the Schiit Aegir at RMAF this year and they sounded excellent.  The Schiit Salk room sounded great this year.  I did not care much for how the Schiit Vidar sounded a couple years back.  If you have the latest Stereophile issue with recommended components you will see that they gave the Schiit Aegir a class A recommendation.  There are two First Watt amps that got a class B recommendation.  I did see one post on another site, SABF, where someone preferred the Aegir over the First Watt he had.  I can't speak to which sounds better other than to say that the Aegir sounds good regardless of price and it is an amazing deal at $799.

Tyson

« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2019, 05:47 pm »
I have not heard a First Watt amp but I did hear the Schiit Aegir at RMAF this year and they sounded excellent.  The Schiit Salk room sounded great this year.  I did not care much for how the Schiit Vidar sounded a couple years back.  If you have the latest Stereophile issue with recommended components you will see that they gave the Schiit Aegir a class A recommendation.  There are two First Watt amps that got a class B recommendation.  I did see one post on another site, SABF, where someone preferred the Aegir over the First Watt he had.  I can't speak to which sounds better other than to say that the Aegir sounds good regardless of price and it is an amazing deal at $799.

I can only report what I personally have heard, and in every instance I've always felt the Schiit gear was too bright.  Not harsh or unrefined, but definitely tilted toward the detail/exciting end of the spectrum.  Which is good if you like that type of sound.  I don't.  Mostly I prefer tube amps (although I've owned a fair # of SS amps in the past).  For my personal preferences, the First Watt amps are just about the only SS amps that I can live with long term.  Doesn't mean the First Watt amps are soft sounding or that they sound "like a tube amp" because they don't.  But they are about the best balanced from a tonal standpoint (all except the F5, which is too bright). 

Again, it's all just IME. I know for myself, this 'lit up' type of sound is exactly the type of sound that would result in my listening to less and less music over time.  Not unlike Bryston.  In fact, now that I say that, it occurs to me that Schiit and Bryston have a very, very similar sound and set of strengths.  Lots of people love that sound, if you're one of them, congrats you've found a great bargain in the Schiit gear. 

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #27 on: 18 Sep 2019, 05:52 pm »
I can only report what I personally have heard, and in every instance I've always felt the Schiit gear was too bright.  Not harsh or unrefined, but definitely tilted toward the detail/exciting end of the spectrum.  Which is good if you like that type of sound.  I don't.  Mostly I prefer tube amps (although I've owned a fair # of SS amps in the past).  For my personal preferences, the First Watt amps are just about the only SS amps that I can live with long term.  Doesn't mean the First Watt amps are soft sounding or that they sound "like a tube amp" because they don't.  But they are about the best balanced from a tonal standpoint (all except the F5, which is too bright). 

Again, it's all just IME. I know for myself, this 'lit up' type of sound is exactly the type of sound that would result in my listening to less and less music over time.  Not unlike Bryston.  In fact, now that I say that, it occurs to me that Schiit and Bryston have a very, very similar sound and set of strengths.  Lots of people love that sound, if you're one of them, congrats you've found a great bargain in the Schiit gear.

Have you heard the Schiit Aegir?

Tyson

« Reply #28 on: 18 Sep 2019, 06:26 pm »
Have you heard the Schiit Aegir?

Yes.

CSI

« Reply #29 on: 18 Sep 2019, 06:46 pm »

I own them both. The Aegir has terrific bass and lots of power in-spite of it's lowish RMS rating. But after two weeks I'm sending it back. My F-7 (which costs a lot more and has the same power rating) is better in every way but, most importantly, it seems to connect better to the performers emotionally (sorry for the audio-nut language). The Aegir is a superb value and gets you into real Class A performance with extra headroom (into my 4 ohm Spatials). It has a nifty stand by button on the front which drops it down to about 15 watts so you can leave it on all day when you aren't listening - a much greener approach. I had a Vidar for about a year and it, too, it is great amp for the money (and a lot more power). The Aegir is better (to my ears) but the F-7 is in another league (as you might expect for the difference in cost). So I'll live with the 175 watt current draw (at idle) and reach around behind my rack to turn it off when I leave the room (Nelson doesn't want things to be too easy for us, I guess).

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2019, 07:06 pm »
I own them both. The Aegir has terrific bass and lots of power in-spite of it's lowish RMS rating. But after two weeks I'm sending it back. My F-7 (which costs a lot more and has the same power rating) is better in every way but, most importantly, it seems to connect better to the performers emotionally (sorry for the audio-nut language). The Aegir is a superb value and gets you into real Class A performance with extra headroom (into my 4 ohm Spatials). It has a nifty stand by button on the front which drops it down to about 15 watts so you can leave it on all day when you aren't listening - a much greener approach. I had a Vidar for about a year and it, too, it is great amp for the money (and a lot more power). The Aegir is better (to my ears) but the F-7 is in another league (as you might expect for the difference in cost). So I'll live with the 175 watt current draw (at idle) and reach around behind my rack to turn it off when I leave the room (Nelson doesn't want things to be too easy for us, I guess).

The F7 is on my short list.  It is the FW that appeals to me the most.  What preamp are you using with the F7?

By the way I have ordered a pair of the new Spatial M3 Sapphires which is also 4ohm.  Less efficient than the TurboS but Clayton says it is still easy to drive due to their being no crossover.  Mid/treble is direct wired and woofers have single Jantzen inductor for each woofer.  Looking to upgrade from my current Ragnarok.  Considering an F7, used Pass Labs XA25, Raven Blackhawk, Luxman, among others.  Still a few years away from that upgrade with 3 kids in college.

CSI

« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2019, 07:24 pm »
I am using a PrimaLuna Prologue premium (tube) pre. I have used the preamp section of a Vinnie Rossi LIO as well. Sounds great with both. They say it even likes passives. I would say if you like the Pass XA25 you should like the F-7 too. I'm Jonesing on the M3 Sapphires as well but so far cost is holding me back (in spite of a generous trade in offer from Clayton).

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #32 on: 18 Sep 2019, 07:39 pm »
I am using a PrimaLuna Prologue premium (tube) pre. I have used the preamp section of a Vinnie Rossi LIO as well. Sounds great with both. They say it even likes passives. I would say if you like the Pass XA25 you should like the F-7 too. I'm Jonesing on the M3 Sapphires as well but so far cost is holding me back (in spite of a generous trade in offer from Clayton).

I currently have the M3 Triode Masters and I am trading those in.  Will be able to hear them for up to 60 days to see if I want to keep the new M3 Sapphires or M3 Triode Masters.  Will be sending one or the other back.  Super exited and curious to hear the Sapphires.  Got an email from Clayton with a video of some walnut veneer baffles being CNC machined.  Each pair of baffles are end to end on the sheet, so that the wood grain is aligned on both speakers.  Found out that the baffle has 3 layers with the mid/tweeter on a separate layer from the woofers in order to isolate the mid/tweeter from the bass power.  Will try to remember to come back here and let you know how they sound compared to the M3TM.

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:50 am »

That's interesting. I'm not sure I recall Stereophile ever changing the recommendation class of any gear...though I'm sure they've done it before. Reminds me of What Hi-Fi's classification style and not in a good way.

Anyway...reading between the lines, it would seem that the Aegir has raised the bar a bit for lowish power class A SS amps. To me this is understandable. The SIT-3 and J2 are both rather system specific recommendations (electrically) whereas it appears the Aegir provides similar performance, while being suitable for use with a wider variety of speakers. Cool. Keep in mind it's always horses for courses and synergy is paramount. Stereophile says as much themselves about their rating system. I highly doubt my Stereophile class A rated PS Audio M700's (in my livingroom set-up) would work nearly as well with my Omegas (in my main system) as my 2 wpc non-Stereophile rated Decware Zen.

With that said, I'm a tried and true fan of Nelson's work. I have had the vast majority of First Watt and lowish power Pass XA series in my home. I keep an F3 and XA25 now with no plans of letting them go. But I have to say I'm intrigued by Stereophile's review of the Aegir and will likely give it a try sometime. For $800? Why not? If I like it then it'll join the rotation with my other amps. Have fun folks! :D

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2019, 03:09 am »
That's interesting. I'm not sure I recall Stereophile ever changing the recommendation class of any gear...though I'm sure they've done it before. Reminds me of What Hi-Fi's classification style and not in a good way.

Anyway...reading between the lines, it would seem that the Aegir has raised the bar a bit for lowish power class A SS amps. To me this is understandable. The SIT-3 and J2 are both rather system specific recommendations (electrically) whereas it appears the Aegir provides similar performance, while being suitable for use with a wider variety of speakers. Cool. Keep in mind it's always horses for courses and synergy is paramount. Stereophile says as much themselves about their rating system. I highly doubt my Stereophile class A rated PS Audio M700's (in my livingroom set-up) would work nearly as well with my Omegas (in my main system) as my 2 wpc non-Stereophile rated Decware Zen.

With that said, I'm a tried and true fan of Nelson's work. I have had the vast majority of First Watt and lowish power Pass XA series in my home. I keep an F3 and XA25 now with no plans of letting them go. But I have to say I'm intrigued by Stereophile's review of the Aegir and will likely give it a try sometime. For $800? Why not? If I like it then it'll join the rotation with my other amps. Have fun folks! :D

Honestly there are lots of Stereophile class ratings that do not makes sense to me.  Like the Magnepan LRS getting a class B rating while the Magnepan 0.7 get a class C rating when the reviewer basically said the 0.7 was a better speaker.  JA would overrule his reviewers on ratings based on his opinion and certain measurements that he considered some kind of blemish.  I like how Absolute sound avoids these classes and just categorizes by price. 

RDavidson

« Reply #35 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:30 am »
Yeah. Classes and ratings are irrelevant without a frame of reference. I think it is OK to use reviews and ratings as a general guide, but never as an absolute measure of what one should purchase. We all have different systems, rooms, and preferences. Try as much stuff as you can, experiment, and trust your ears. Finding what you like is all that is important in all this.

As such, the Aegir falls inline (on paper) with what I've found works best for me. Lowish power class A. Beyond that, I'm curious if the Aegir is single ended or push oull. My ears tend to like single ended class A, both SS and tubes moreso than push pull. In my experience, the sound is just more fluid and natural.

yardbird

« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2019, 11:15 am »
FWIW- Steve Guttenburg's review compared the First Watt (M2 and F7 ???) to the Aegir. From my memory he felt the Aegir to be a great value but bettered by the First Watt amps.

Tyson

« Reply #37 on: 19 Sep 2019, 02:38 pm »
FWIW- Steve Guttenburg's review compared the First Watt (M2 and F7 ???) to the Aegir. From my memory he felt the Aegir to be a great value but bettered by the First Watt amps.

Seems to be the consensus from those who've heard both.

AKLegal

« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:01 pm »
Since the Aegir is only $799, I would be interested in a comparison between some of the First Watt amps and a pair of mono-blocked Aegirs.  The Aegirs are reportedly less warm in monoblock mode. 

@Tyson, I do agree that Schiit gear runs bright.  I have tried a number of their headphone amps (Fulla 2, Magni, Jotunheim, Lyr 3) and they were all bright to varying degrees.  The delta-sigma and multibit internal dac cards for use in the Lyr3 and Jotunheim are also bright compared to the current production Yggdrasil, which to my ears is not bright at all, using those same amps (sans Fulla 2).  The Fulla 2 was the least bright of the amps and is the only one I kept long-term.  After a month or two with the others I didn't even consider keeping them.

If they could somehow tune their amps to have Yggdrasil like transparency without the added brightness I'd sell my Hegel H360 in heartbeat and pocket the cash difference.   

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2019, 04:10 pm »
Seems to be the consensus from those who've heard both.

Yes which makes sense.  Good to know.  Keeping the F7 on my short list.