Been out of the loop and have some questions.

Vic

Been out of the loop and have some questions.
« on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:28 am »
I've enjoyed my Classic for many years.

Does this new Well Tempered site offer support to the older generation of tables?

Bought a new thin belt from Stanalog, who's site is under construction or gone, and it's lifespan is very short compared to the older wider belts.

Where can I get support and supplies for an older table?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Been out of the loop and have some questions.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2012, 10:54 am »
Here's a source for belts and arm goo:

http://www.turntablebasics.com/index.html

My dealing with them in the past have always been very good but I'm not sure if they're still operational.  The goo can be purchased at a model car hobbyist shop or on eBay for a couple bucks a bottle (100,000 cst Silicone is what you want).

Stanalogue appears to be gone, I'm unsure how much the new Well Tempered can help with the older models other than modifying the motor to accept fishing line in place of a belt.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2012, 02:14 am by SteveFord »

threadkiller

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2012, 05:52 pm »
True on both counts, Steve. 
Stanalog is thankfully gone, and there is a new wheel for old tables that can accept the filament belt.  I've known people of finding belts out there, so you might google away...

TerryO

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:24 pm »
I use ordinary polyester sewing thread on my "Amadeus" and it works well, with excellent speed stability. I can certainly recommend the Magenta colored thread as having all the sonic benifits that one might desire.

Hint: Tie the ends of the thread together with a square knot for nonslip integrity. The knot doesn't present a problem, as it rides to the outside of (away from) the pulley and platter.

Best Regards,
TerryO

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:05 pm »
I could see magenta...

Vic

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:38 am »
I found a supplier for the newer narrower 3.2 mm - 1/8" belts (belt# FRZ 35.1) turntable drive belts.

turntablebasics.com

I wanted to get in touch with Stanolog in hopes he still had some of those upgrade parts. Im interested in the newer non cogging, adjustable voltage, square motor with a three prong AC plug and a black platter.

What are you using underneath your Well Tempered? I'm thinking possibly a Townshend Seismic Sink or the more thrifty, Gingko Balls.

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:42 am »
Stanalog is done, I'm afraid... I certainly would not send him any money... For anything...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:57 am »
Shame about George, I always had good dealings with him.
I ended up ordering the 100,000 cst goo for the arm off of eBay for three bucks and change for each 10cc bottle and went with Mobil 1 5/30W for the platter.
I just made another platform for my other "new" WT out of a two hunks of a large wood shelf (Home Depot), a can of Krylon Black Satin paint from Wally World and 4 sorbothane risers from Rick Ott:
http://avrisers.com/default.aspx
I've known Rick for years, he's a good guy.  I have his risers under just about everything.
I did try using the maple bucher blocks from Wally World but they're too small for the early Well Tempereds.  However, they do make a nice gift for the wife.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2012, 12:59 am »
That's fun stuff.. I played with maple boards before, then headed to birch ply...

Mr. M-500t

• AVRisers
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2012, 03:03 am »
Thanks for the plug Steve. Enjoy. :D