RMAF 2010 Purchases

mgalusha

RMAF 2010 Purchases
« on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:25 pm »
Part of the reason for an audio show is to sell things or buy new goodies.

Did anyone actually purchase anything at the show? If so, tell us about your new toys.

I splurged and bought a new motor for my 'table. I paid for a new Verus motor from Teres Audio for my table. I've wanted to upgrade for a couple of years but just didn't want to lay down the long green. Talking with Chris Brady this year convinced me it was the right time to make the move.  8)

Also picked up some more high res music, Reference Recordings HRx of Britten's Orchestra and a Chesky 192/24 of Jimmy Cobb.

mjosef

Re: RMAF 2010 Purchases
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:05 am »
Whaaat? Nobody bought anything...broke/cheap bastards.  :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:10 am »
I bought the new Virtue Coaxial Digital and USB 2 cables at the show.  Could not pass them up at the show price!  :thumb:

Also found a new IsoMike SACD recording of Beethoven at the Kimber booth, so added that to the collection.

I was looking for the RR HRx discs but could not find them.  Bummer as the Britten is on my list.

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:25 am »
I wasn't there but managed to extinguish flames in my pocket with Wyred 4 Sound 2 DAC - show demo. Thanks to AC member willing to pick it up for me.
(sometimes help comes from most distant places :thumb: )
Getting ready to setup PC driven audio....... hope it's as good as some say it is.  :lol:

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:35 am »
I just bought a few RR CD's and a couple of cables, but it definitely helped steer me in the right direction on next steps for a few upgrades  :thumb:

mbakes

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:43 am »
I bought a pair of Zu Soul Superfly speakers and some vinyl.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:30 am »
Bought a CD called Nawa from the MA Recordings room.  Sounds almost like John Coltrane on acid, at a South American circus, with an accordion.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:52 pm »
I bought some used vinyl from Doug Gaddy, inluding a very nice copy of Dixie Chicken (original pressing). Thanks to Scott Hobby for reminding me to look for this. I have the MoFi and Scott noticed that the highs were rolled off or missing compared to the original. I will do a little A/B comparison this weekend before THE football game of the weekend (MIZ-ZOU). Other purchases were a clean copy of Katy Lied, a Van Morrison album recommended by someone standing next to me, a Pretenders EP (British pressing) and one other LP I can't remember now.

I also ordered an Oppo BDP 83SE and got on the waiting list for Dan to mod it. I had not intended to move this quickly, but when I heard Oppo was going to discontinue this model and eliminate the 2 channel analog output, I jumped on it before it was too late. I heard the modded Oppo in 4 rooms and was very impressed (for digital :lol: ). My main use for this unit will be concert videos.

The Soundsmith Strain Guage is on my list as soon as I can save the $$$.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010, 07:05 pm by vinyl_lady »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:08 pm »
The Soundsmith Strain Guage is on my list as soon as I can save the $$$.

Which model?

BTW-have you seen this site?  http://www.vinylphilemag.com/

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:39 pm »
I bought Todd Garfinkles latest recording, Nama, done in DSD and transferred to 24/176k DVD-ROM.  It's Argentinian jazz and very cool (includes some musicians from the wonderful Sera Una Noche).  I also bought the Robert Silverman's 7-disc SACD numbered box set of Mozart's Piano Sonatas.  I had Mr. Silverman sign the box.  :D  Furthermore, the $180 set was selling for $100 and all proceeds went to Ray Kimber's favorite WSU music school (Ray helped me make the decision   :wink:  I told him how big a hirez and specifically SACD supporter I was and after we chatted about the technology he "reminded me" about the box set as he intro'd me to Mr Silverman.)

dwr

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:58 pm »
Vinyl_Lady, which mods are you looking at having done by Modwright on the 83SE?? I have had mine back for about 2 weeks now and had the 2 channel tube mod performed by Modwright and I couldn't be happier, best sounding digital I have ever had in my system, money very well spent as far as I am concerned.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:10 pm »
Vinyl_Lady, which mods are you looking at having done by Modwright on the 83SE?? I have had mine back for about 2 weeks now and had the 2 channel tube mod performed by Modwright and I couldn't be happier, best sounding digital I have ever had in my system, money very well spent as far as I am concerned.

The 2 channel analog tube mode. I am a 2 channel girl, no surround or HT, although I do watch an occasional movie. Thanks for the feedback on the mod. I have Dan's KWA 150 and love the amp. I have heard nothing but good things about Dan's mods. The timing is mid November.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:17 pm »
Which model?

BTW-have you seen this site?  http://www.vinylphilemag.com/

Probably the 200 since I have a pre amp I love (Gill Audio Design Alana). Thanks for the link to vinylphilemag. I had not seen it before.

Sorry you couldn't make it, I was looking forward to meeting you. Dave E said your day job got in the way

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:22 pm »
Dave E said your day job got in the way

Gladly it did.   :cry:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:24 pm »
Gladly it did.   :cry:
I think he said there were 3 cars/teams in the Chase

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:26 pm »
I think he said there were 3 cars/teams in the Chase

3 cars ONE team.   :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:30 pm »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:18 pm »
I bought a lute recording from Ma Recordings for my wife who plays classical guitar and like old instruments.

I bought a Purity preamp from Bill and Joe.

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:27 pm »

I bought a Purity preamp from Bill and Joe.
Nice!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:50 pm »

While this is not officially a RMAH purchase as I was not there, the amp I am buying was.  :thumb:

It is the Arte Forma 150 integrated and was in some rooms including the Bogdan Audio room.

Micheal Gill, the North American distributor for Dayens also sells his line of gear including this new 150 watt integrated. It is going to retail for $1999.00 He has a lot of tube amps as well.

I figure if he is smart enough to pick up the Dayen's line then he must know what good sound is. Here is some of our email conversation about the piece.

"This integrated has 150 watts per channel and sounds great. 
Big smooth sound."

"My 150 watt integrate has clarity soundstage and punch...overall in the higher
level."

"I-150 integrated amp is  17" wide x 15 1/2" deep x 4.75" tall."

"Class D kit I can get for $150 and the sound is not very good. Very inexpensive
parts also. I do not recommend this for music lovers. If you are a gambler then
buy and build this kit and compare it to my amp.  Sound is night and day apart."

"Stereo Mojo wants my 120 watt USB integrated amp and Ampino for review.  Stereo Times magazine would like my 250 watt power amp and  preamp for a formal review as well.  Our 150 watt integrated replaced an austrailian made  Perreux 350 watt power amp and preamp costing$ 12k in Bogdan Audio Creation room driving his $28,000 speakers."

"Eggleston Works speaker mfg will use my 500 watt fully balance mono blocks with
matching preamp for the upcoming 2011 CES show in Las Vegas.  Retail price is
$10k for the 3 piece set. Our amps in general have shown better sound
performance than similar amps costing 5X here in Denver."

"The great interest shown to our products by the audio press and professional
recording engineers here at the RMAF leaves me no doubt that my bragging is not
merely hot air."

"As Dayens Audio use the pricey and great sounding Mundorf capacitors our amplifiers were ear tuned by Norbert Mundorf himself with his best Mundorf caps." 

"Our flagship 250 watt stereo amp that we brought to RMAF will aslo undergo an
all aluminum case have dual mono build with balanced connects and WBT speaker
connectors and sell for $3500.  Sonically my amps have proven to be a winner at
their first US audio debut in RMAF..  The physical cases will be improved next in
the Arte Forma audio line."

While I was zeroing in on the Dayens Esctasy I thought I would try this 150. It is more neutral than the Esctasy, as the Dayens has a warmer sound. I want to use the amp to drive some speakers in a near field situation for recording. So I want detail, imaging, non irritating, neutral, and well... POWER.

If Eggleston can be happy with the sound of the Arte Forma solid state amps then there is a good chance I can be.

Rocket_Ronny