BDP-3

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-3
« Reply #280 on: 16 Jun 2017, 02:54 pm »
Hi James,

would you recomend installing an internal drive rather than using external USB drives? or it is exactly the same? I am talking about 3/4TB hard disks...

Thank you.

Either way works well. 

I have a small internal drive - 1TB and use it most of the time with my favourite music and then I have an external attached USB drive 4TB where I keep my library.

james

Hoiman

« Reply #281 on: 16 Jun 2017, 03:05 pm »
Ok thanks I will wait for Chris to answer this.

If the transfer goes like this:

File(s) on USB HDD-1 on BDP-3 ===> copy over network ===> USB HDD-2 on BDP-3.

How do you fill/ put music files on a intern SSD, that will take for ever if you have a very slow network like mine.

Grant Hill

« Reply #282 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:13 pm »
thanks James for answering.

@Hoiman - is it possible to copy all you library on the internal SSD before installing into BDP3? 

Hoiman

« Reply #283 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:23 pm »
@Hoiman - is it possible to copy all you library on the internal SSD before installing into BDP3?

I don't know. Idon't know if the BDP-3 does something with the SSD after it is installed. Maybe James/Chris knows the answer.

Silverbullet

« Reply #284 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:34 pm »
If you're copying from one USB drive to another and using a PC to initiate this, then the files are read into the PC and then written to the other drive.  This requires 2 network transfers. If you want to do this quickly it would be better to unplug the drives, connect them to the PC, do the copy then put the drives back.

Hoiman

« Reply #285 on: 16 Jun 2017, 06:13 pm »
If you're copying from one USB drive to another and using a PC to initiate this, then the files are read into the PC and then written to the other drive.  This requires 2 network transfers. If you want to do this quickly it would be better to unplug the drives, connect them to the PC, do the copy then put the drives back.

Yes I know, but I don't understand why we can't do the same with the BDP-3. The BDP-x almost a pc.

That's why it can be very hard when you put a SSD in it and you have to copy 4TB to it over a network.

HTHF

« Reply #286 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:20 am »
Hi everyone -

I'm waiting on delivery of a BDP-3 and BOT-1, and I'm new to all of this.

Can anyone recommend an internal 2TB SSD?  Maybe the Samsung 850 Evo Series or something like it? Please be specific as to model number.  I'm more interested in quality and reliability than merely the lowest price.

FWIW, I'll be ripping my entire collection from scratch and not importing anything from my PC, NAS, etc.

Thanks,

Charlie

Tympani

Re: BDP
« Reply #287 on: 17 Jun 2017, 01:34 pm »
Welcome Charlie!

I have had excellent, reliable performance from my Samsung 850 EVO 2 TB SSD (MZ-75E2T0B/AM), both as an internal and external drive. Not the Pro model. Running almost 2 years. I prefer it as an external drive for the convenience/speed of transferring new files to the drive. I simply detach the usb from the BDP-2 and plug in to my computer. Directly thru the PC, the transfers are quick, and take full advantage of the SSD/USB 3 speeds. Also easier to re-organize or create new folders if needed, which you will likely be doing a lot, early on. As an internal drive, I have to feed it over my wired ethernet network, which in my case is much slower.

If you really want the neatness of an internal drive, I'd still suggest you run it external till you get your collection organized, then convert to internal. External enclosures are dirt cheap. I use an ORICO "Tool free" enclosure, but there are countless options out there. https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-2-5inch-External-Enclosure-Support/dp/B0182FIWMM/ref=sr_1_38?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497705940&sr=1-38&keywords=ORICO+Enclosure

I used my BOT-1 to rip my entire CD collection as well. Quite a bit slower compared to a PC rip, but definitely better sound quality. But now that I've ripped my collection, I'm not sure that I still need the BOT, except to play an occasional CD someone brings by. Definitely try some Hi-Rez downloads, I think you will find rewarding with this caliber gear. Which DAC are you using?

Cheers!

HTHF

« Reply #288 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:15 pm »
Tympani --

Thanks for the information!  I'll probably go with the Samsung, then.  A couple questions about that, if you would indulge me (yes, I've read through the other forums, but I'm still unclear):

1. Can the SSD just sit in the BDP-3 or does it need to be mounted? Some of the available mounts look a little large (designed to accommodate two and/or larger drives).

2. Does the SSD need to be formatted on my PC before being installed in the BDP-3, or after in the BDP-3? If before, I suppose I'll need some sort of USB--SATA cable.

3. In another thread, James mentioned that he keeps his favorite music on a smaller internal drive, and his "library" on an external drive.  Why would he do that? Is this necessary if the 2TB internal drive will accommodate my entire collection?

4. If I use an internal drive, what would be the preferred method of creating a backup of my collection? An external USB drive connected to the BDP-3 itself?

Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, I'm using a Benchmark DAC1, which I love and will probably stick with for the time being.  Eventually I'll branch out and try some Hi-Rez downloads, which will force my hand. 

Thanks again!

Hoiman

« Reply #289 on: 17 Jun 2017, 09:57 pm »
Ow I think there is a problem with my BDP-3.
When the network lost his connection, the BDP-3 doesn't response anymore to manual control. I can't manual forward, backward or even pause the music. Also the arrow buttons doesn't response to anything.
By manual I mean by pushing the buttons on the BDP-3.

The BDP-3 will also not response if I just push to the power button.
The music is playing his list but that is it.
Is it broken or is this a software problem?
The only way to shutdown is to push the power button for a seconds and then it restarts. What is happening?????  :cry:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #290 on: 17 Jun 2017, 11:38 pm »
Ow I think there is a problem with my BDP-3.
When the network lost his connection, the BDP-3 doesn't response anymore to manual control. I can't manual forward, backward or even pause the music. Also the arrow buttons doesn't response to anything.
By manual I mean by pushing the buttons on the BDP-3.

The BDP-3 will also not response if I just push to the power button.
The music is playing his list but that is it.
Is it broken or is this a software problem?
The only way to shutdown is to push the power button for a seconds and then it restarts. What is happening?????  :cry:

Can you put it in service mode?

Rod_S

« Reply #291 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:06 am »
So have the details, price and time frame been worked out about the BDP-2 to BDP-3 upgrade that has been mentioned as a possibility?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #292 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:36 am »
So have the details, price and time frame been worked out about the BDP-2 to BDP-3 upgrade that has been mentioned as a possibility?

Hi Rod

We are definitely going to offer it - just working out the costing.

james

Tympani

Re: BDP
« Reply #293 on: 18 Jun 2017, 01:23 am »
Tympani --

Thanks for the information!  I'll probably go with the Samsung, then.  A couple questions about that, if you would indulge me (yes, I've read through the other forums, but I'm still unclear):

1. Can the SSD just sit in the BDP-3 or does it need to be mounted? Some of the available mounts look a little large (designed to accommodate two and/or larger drives).

2. Does the SSD need to be formatted on my PC before being installed in the BDP-3, or after in the BDP-3? If before, I suppose I'll need some sort of USB--SATA cable.

3. In another thread, James mentioned that he keeps his favorite music on a smaller internal drive, and his "library" on an external drive.  Why would he do that? Is this necessary if the 2TB internal drive will accommodate my entire collection?

4. If I use an internal drive, what would be the preferred method of creating a backup of my collection? An external USB drive connected to the BDP-3 itself?

Any other thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, I'm using a Benchmark DAC1, which I love and will probably stick with for the time being.  Eventually I'll branch out and try some Hi-Rez downloads, which will force my hand. 

Thanks again!

The SSD is secured internally by 4 tiny screws, and connected by an internal SATA cable. No extra caddy needed. The drive is intrinsically SATA, an external enclosure converts it to USB. Very easy install. Even if you're dead-set on using the SSD internally, buy a cheap ($8) external enclosure as mentioned above. You can do the formatting to NTFS on your computer, and keep ready access to your files for editing and organizing, until your collection is done. Then remove it from the enclosure and mount it in the BDP. Who knows, you may decide to keep it external, as I did.

Backup is crucial. I have a backup folder on my computer hard drive, and also on an external Western Digital spinning 2TB USB drive, connected to PC (can't have too many backups, you just have to remember to update all of them with any additions). Don't connect a backup drive to the BDP, it just creates another drive that has to be updated on power-up and robs the USB-bus of power.

If your drive is large enough, I see no reason to create separate drives, just organize your folders. I do use smaller flash drives for creating "demo" folders to carry around.

About the BOT-1, I don't regret getting it, as it integrates beautifully with the BDP-2 and creates great rips. I just wish it had other uses (like playing SACD dsd streams through the BDP - now that would be something 8))

Happy to take PM's if preferred.

Enjoy!

Hoiman

« Reply #294 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:32 am »
Can you put it in service mode?

I think I can but can you explain me where I have to set this?

OTM

« Reply #295 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:53 am »
Go to the Dashboard then the Services menu
Now select "Service Mode" and then select Start
This will generate a service ID number to send to Bryston.
David

Hoiman

« Reply #296 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:55 am »
Ok, thanks

Hoiman

« Reply #297 on: 18 Jun 2017, 07:57 am »
James, the BDP-3 is in service mode.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #298 on: 18 Jun 2017, 09:57 am »
James, the BDP-3 is in service mode.

OK what is the service mode number?

Send it to Chris please.

crice@bryston.com

james

Hoiman

« Reply #299 on: 18 Jun 2017, 10:05 am »
it's ID170, I will email Chris. Already thanks.