DIY Room Lens

1000a

Re: DIY Room Lens
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2007, 07:18 pm »
Thanks richidoo,   

That's what so great about these forums someone in the thick of a project will have some blindness and outside input can be extremely helpful.

Thanks for posting the image robertwb, they look very cool.  I have mine placed behind behind my cabinets and I seem to be enjoying a dramtic improvement from mine, it may be because my box speakers are tapered towards the back of the cabinet in an effort to reduce early reflections, I am not sure.  It could just be the acoustics of my space suck so bad that anything designed and placed to improve it sounds incredible, we'll see.

Here is an image of the cabinets (RL not finished yet) they tapper towards the lens, but possibly more significantly I wonder if box floor standers are more effected than monitors on stands, since they run all the way to the floor as do the RL.  Also my speakers have a downward firing port?  Don't know for sure why I am getting such great improvements. I will know more as I experiment with bass traps and other projects down the line.

Also I will remove these after a week or so just to double confirm my initial reactions.

1000a

« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2007, 07:53 pm »
Robert,

Also thanks for the tips, sure why not get them out and play.  Try em behind the cabinet see if that is different or better got nothing to lose.  I did read I thought that if they are placed next to the plane of the speaker cones themselves they should be just slightly forward an inch or so but the lens should run from the cabinet towards the wall (width ways) and be slightly toed in (the lens towards the listining chair).

In other words you visualise them as focusing devices the width of which directs the sound forward towards the listening position.

From the photo (don't know if that is the set up for listening), if it is I would certainly try running them width wise. May work better, may not but I'd definitly try it :drums:

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2007, 11:49 pm »
If you were to paint them they'd actually look pretty cool! :)  I dunno about WAF but to me they're sort of neat, sci-fi'ish.

1000a

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2007, 06:31 am »
gonna paint em and stain the bases, I think I can make em look pretty cool, not my first choice in room decor.  but being i enjoy modern and contemporary stuff I'll work em in.   but want to try a few more tubes in each base before i start the art part of the project.