Minimalist HT Processor?

PSP

Minimalist HT Processor?
« on: 15 Jul 2003, 06:46 pm »
A while back, I almost bought the Klipsch Promedia DD-5.1 to add some HT capability to my mostly 2ch system.  As I understand the DD-5.1, it will decode DD, DTS, and DPL (but not DPL2), does minimal bass management and system volume attenuation for $169.

http://www.klipsch.com , then click on Multimedia Audio

Before I buy the DD-5.1, is there something else that I should consider in this general price range?  Since 99% of my listening is to 2ch music, $169 is about what having somewhat better HT is worth to me.

Thanks,
Peter

bubba966

Minimalist HT Processor?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2003, 12:04 am »
I can't think of anything else in that price range that does what you appear to want.

Do you need something it doesn't do? Like DLP2, DD EX, DTS ES, AC-3 RF, MUSE A-Mode, MUSE B-Mode, etc?

nathanm

Minimalist HT Processor?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2003, 01:16 am »
The Klipsch processor is nice and straightforward.  You have two options: use the digital input and get huge pops and clicks everytime it loses sync\changes modes or whatever its doing, or use the analog inputs, which eliminates the pops but offers occasional grungy distortion.  Kind of a P.O.S. IMHO, but it does the trick for the price.  Not one for videophiles that's for sure.  When the analog doesn't clip it sounds quite good, though.  But take this report with a grain of salt - every piece of gear I own breaks as soon as I touch it.  :?

User interface is fairly good, except that you have a narrow window in which to make your channel volume\delay adjustments before it reverts to normal.  So you've gotta be johnny on the spot with the SPL meter.  Half-ass for sure, but again, this is budget gear so it comes with the territory I suppose.

PSP

Minimalist HT Processor?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2003, 04:59 pm »
Thank you for your helpful comments.  At this point, I am so extremely far from being a videophile that it's laugable, but--after I get the audio part of my system up to snuff--I am definitely interested in improving my video capabilities.

So, is there something you can suggest that will decode DD, DTS, and DPL; does bass management; and provide HT system volume attenuation (and perhaps a bit more) but does it significantly better and costs less than $500, hopefully a lot less.

Thanks again,
Peter

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Minimalist HT Processor?
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2003, 05:17 pm »
This is what I have, and I like it a log (even from an audiophile perspective, it's a good piece of gear):

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?homeproc&1062874695

shokunin

Minimalist HT Processor?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2003, 10:58 pm »
If you up your budget by $50 or so, you can get something like a Pioneer VSX-811/812 or similar and get the decoding features you need plus 5 channels of amplification.  So it's not high end by any means, but it will provide you with digital, analog, and video switching controls.  Definitely in the bang-for-buck category.

KKM

Minimalist HT Processor?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2003, 11:06 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
This is what I have, and I like it a log (even from an audiophile perspective, it's a good piece of gear):

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?homeproc&1062874695

I second the Acurus, it sounds great and is reliable, just talked a buddy into buying a used one at AG.

MaxCast

Minimalist HT Processor?
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2003, 12:25 am »
If you go with the Klipsch you will have to add amplification, no?  I say your best bet is a receiver.  Check out a used Denon 2802 which has DPL II for around 450 or less.

Nathan, did you buy a referbished unit??