Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

Marius

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #120 on: 6 Dec 2013, 08:12 pm »
Well,

I changed to the older CF card, loaded 1.48 now, and all seems fine again.

Going to load the corrupted cf card with the file Chris provided just in case. Hope to update through the interface of loading .bin files as we're used to ;-)

Then see what happens.

Wim, did you load the latest beta firmware? the one that corrupted to error 09 in the first place, or is there a newer version already?

And then: the corrupted CF card has 2 partitions: No Name and User. Where to write the new image to? Disk Utility on the Mac is somewhat different from what Chris describes in his manual with win 32 disk imager.

Diskutiliy gives this unfortunately:

because of this:

Marius

Wim J

« Reply #121 on: 6 Dec 2013, 09:52 pm »
Marius,

I'm still busy trying to get the thing operational again. I will first try the ManicMoose firmware that was actually working (latest but one) but that does not give me acces to the 'advanced page' anymore,....
Now I have a kind of non-opertional demo-version somehow. I loaded version 1129 but it is not working! looks like I will have to start all over again and load loony lone again. Maybe I'll leave it at that for the time being. The 'beta'-factor of Manic Moose is a little to big to be comfortable.

I don't have (and don't want) any experience with Mac OS, I'm using Windows 8. So far Chris procedures are fine, but there is definitly something wrong with beta 1204!
I had to connect with SSH on version 1129 to correct for some things (just followed chris' procedure)

UPDATE: Now I have  version 1204 on the bdp1, without error 09. But the interface looks like it is is nothing more than a non-functional demo version.
I also can't play any files on the attached USB drive and most certainly not on the NAS drives. Even using the local buttons I'm not able to get something playing

Wim

UPDATE2  Error 09 is back again !

I'll load stable release LoonyLoon again and stay with that. Manic Moose is somehow corrupted,....

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #122 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:48 am »
I've been running 1204 for the last two days on my BDP-2 without issue. I wonder if it's somehow hardware related to the BDP-1. Is there a table of error code references?

-Gary

Ritchief

« Reply #123 on: 7 Dec 2013, 09:02 am »
I also had this error and once cleared couldn't play any tunes, so reverted back to the old firmware  - may try again in the future when more stable or upon release some time next year.

Marius

« Reply #124 on: 7 Dec 2013, 09:10 am »
Back to Loony Loon S1.73 2013-07-02 again,

pff. took some, but finally got it working again. Even managed to re-image the corrupted Cf card on a desolate windows machine in the household....
All I can say is, have a spare cf card with an appropriate working version of the firmware at hand before upgrading to this beta-cycle, so all you have to do is flip those cards just in case. Then you have the ease to try fixing your corrupted card, while playing songs on your BDP...

Chris, any thoughts on what went wrong with the latest instalment?

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #125 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:24 pm »
I'm having exactly the same problem !!!  Also after the latest firmware update .....1204

Error 09 

UPDATE: I reloaded the  LoonyLoon but it gives me the same error 09 !

Looks like the update bricked my BDP1,....   :nono:

UPDATE 2 : I repeated the whole procedure and hey it's working again (on LoonyLoon)  :scratch:
UPDATE 3: the moment I load ManicMoose again (folowing the procedures) It gives me 'error 09' again.  :duh:

Did the DAC still get lock just before the error 09 appears?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #126 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:25 pm »
Well,

I changed to the older CF card, loaded 1.48 now, and all seems fine again.

Going to load the corrupted cf card with the file Chris provided just in case. Hope to update through the interface of loading .bin files as we're used to ;-)

Then see what happens.

Wim, did you load the latest beta firmware? the one that corrupted to error 09 in the first place, or is there a newer version already?

And then: the corrupted CF card has 2 partitions: No Name and User. Where to write the new image to? Disk Utility on the Mac is somewhat different from what Chris describes in his manual with win 32 disk imager.

Diskutiliy gives this unfortunately:

because of this:

Marius

Hi Marius,

I have posted another document explaining how to use a command line tool to restore the image.  Let me know if it isn't clear.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #127 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:27 pm »
Marius,

I'm still busy trying to get the thing operational again. I will first try the ManicMoose firmware that was actually working (latest but one) but that does not give me acces to the 'advanced page' anymore,....
Now I have a kind of non-opertional demo-version somehow. I loaded version 1129 but it is not working! looks like I will have to start all over again and load loony lone again. Maybe I'll leave it at that for the time being. The 'beta'-factor of Manic Moose is a little to big to be comfortable.

I don't have (and don't want) any experience with Mac OS, I'm using Windows 8. So far Chris procedures are fine, but there is definitly something wrong with beta 1204!
I had to connect with SSH on version 1129 to correct for some things (just followed chris' procedure)

UPDATE: Now I have  version 1204 on the bdp1, without error 09. But the interface looks like it is is nothing more than a non-functional demo version.
I also can't play any files on the attached USB drive and most certainly not on the NAS drives. Even using the local buttons I'm not able to get something playing

Wim

UPDATE2  Error 09 is back again !

I'll load stable release LoonyLoon again and stay with that. Manic Moose is somehow corrupted,....

Yah, 12 04 introduced a new build of the web interface that has been causing many difficulties, they should be fixed sometime next week.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #128 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:31 pm »
Did the DAC still get lock just before the error 09 appears?
As far as I remeber correctly, yes!
Now everything is ok again on LoonyLoon, but the moment I load ManicMoose the BDP1 is dead in the water (with or without error 09) even ManicMoose releases that worked before are now nothing more than some sort of interactive screensaver. The BDP1 is not responding to any function and can not play music!
So back to LoonyLoon,... 
But on the possitive side: I can now load firmware to the bdp1 and change flash cards with my eyes closed!  :lol:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #129 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:36 pm »
I've been running 1204 for the last two days on my BDP-2 without issue. I wonder if it's somehow hardware related to the BDP-1. Is there a table of error code references?

-Gary

Its been fine on both a BDP-1 and BDP-2, but James also had problems with the upgrade.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #130 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:43 pm »
HI Chris,

I seem to have managed on a windows machine, but where did you post this document? found it! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/BDP%20image%20Mac%20OS%20X.pdf
thanx

Marius

Hi Marius,

I have posted another document explaining how to use a command line tool to restore the image.  Let me know if it isn't clear.

Cheers,
Chris

Wim J

« Reply #131 on: 8 Dec 2013, 12:47 pm »
Today I repeated the whole procedure. Upgrading from LoonyLoon to ManicMoose and then upgrading to version 1204.
The final result: error 09 !

Marius

« Reply #132 on: 8 Dec 2013, 07:35 pm »
Hi Wim,

Chris should have and has taken 1204 off-line, we're back to 11-19 again for now ; http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/avail

hope to see some development real soon.

Cheers,
Marius

Today I repeated the whole procedure. Upgrading from LoonyLoon to ManicMoose and then upgrading to version 1204.
The final result: error 09 !

Marius

« Reply #133 on: 12 Dec 2013, 03:12 pm »
Hi Chris,

Is there no more beta available on http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/manicmoose/avail ?

Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #134 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:37 pm »
Hi Marius,

Beta's will continue at some point in time after we have resolved file system corruption issues plagued by the Dec 4 firmware.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #135 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:47 pm »
ok Chris,
thank you. and all the best finding the culprit..
Marius
Hi Marius,

Beta's will continue at some point in time after we have resolved file system corruption issues plagued by the Dec 4 firmware.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #136 on: 15 Dec 2013, 05:25 am »
Hi Guys,

I've posted a december 13 update and have tested it at work on numerous BDP-1/2's as well as at home and haven't been able to repeat the problem which seemed to have been the boot loader and/or filesystem being truncated to zero bytes which seemed to be occurring from the filesystem checks being done during startup and after a firmware upgrade.  This firmware update has replaced the previous manic moose update that is used when using the firmware20131031.bin file used to upgrade from loony loon.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #137 on: 15 Dec 2013, 11:33 am »
so we download it by clicking the original 20131031.bin link in the pdf in the first post of this thread? it is

You did well! Up and running. And no error 09 yet. finger crossed.

Not playing anything yet, as i believe it has to load all tracks afresh into its database? Maybe you could add some feedback about that into the display, as with having to reboot manually after  the "repartitioning part three"  stage. I was waiting for my network to see the gdb to no avail before that...

Cheers!

Marius

Hi Guys,

I've posted a december 13 update and have tested it at work on numerous BDP-1/2's as well as at home and haven't been able to repeat the problem which seemed to have been the boot loader and/or filesystem being truncated to zero bytes which seemed to be occurring from the filesystem checks being done during startup and after a firmware upgrade.  This firmware update has replaced the previous manic moose update that is used when using the firmware20131031.bin file used to upgrade from loony loon.

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #138 on: 15 Dec 2013, 05:21 pm »
HI Chris,

Playing through Manic Moose is not as easy as through Mpod yet, but what's most remarkable is that every Media-listing on the right side browser has the last entry first.. :scratch:

or

not so on mpod/mpad...

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #139 on: 15 Dec 2013, 08:09 pm »
HI Chris,

Playing through Manic Moose is not as easy as through Mpod yet, but what's most remarkable is that every Media-listing on the right side browser has the last entry first.. :scratch:

or

not so on mpod/mpad...

Cheers,
Marius

I'm going to try and Finnish off the first "round" of getting the settings pages done and start over on the media player.

Cheers,
Chris