Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.
« Reply #340 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:58 pm »
Pez, you, Tyson, Vinyl Lady, and the rest of the AC crew did a finer job than I could imagine.  We who couldn't make it owe you all a huge debt of gratitude. 

You could have had a lot more fun just hopping from room to room for your own benefit but instead you gave the reader a great tour of the landscape.  Fantastic work, all of you!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #341 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:59 pm »
I remember reading here on A.C. somewhere that a member said that the Soundscapes sounded good but he thought that Jim Salk needs to break away from AVA equipment to let his speakers "shine".  So there was a review of the room.

I didn't see that, but it sure is funny!

dwk

« Reply #342 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:03 pm »

In the bigger picture isn't giving preferential treatment to advertisers/sponsors exactly the problem with the 'big audio press' in the first place? Their position is so undermined by the perception (fair or not) that advertising $$$ buys
a) exposure
b) positive reviews
c) (maybe) bias against competitors/innovation

that their opinions are suspect right from the start.  I find the idea that we as free and voluntary participants on a forum have some sort of obligation to bias and slant our coverage repulsive, and counterproductive to the value of the forum in the long run as well. The value in freely shared opinions and perspectives is precisely that they are honest. If you lose that, AC becomes worthless.

D) Just try giving yourself awards for "Best in Show".  It seems to work for others  :lol:

Just be sure to do it early and avoid the rush.

Pez

« Reply #343 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:03 pm »
To James and everyone else who was thankful for our participation here it means a lot. All of these members put a lot of time and effort into doing this. It is a lot of work, that quite honestly, I didn't put nearly as much effort into this year because everyone else did such an amazing job.

Pez and Tyson thanks for getting this thread started.  Looks like a lot more activity this year than last!  Congrats.  I think its a better approach to walk the show as a spectator rather than a journalist  :D

Agreed, it's better to spectate than to be a journalist. For one, I think there was way more coverage this year dispite the fact that Last year Tyson and I ran around like crazy. For another people were honest, brutally so and that is more important than saying everything was great! It's awesome, nothing else needs to be said.

fsimms

« Reply #344 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:03 pm »
I finally make my way down stairs to the ball rooms to hear one of my most anticipated speakers of the show; the SoundScape 12s!  As some other have said here, something was up with this room.  I listen for a while and start to think I recall the Song Towers and HT2's sounding better than this.  I know Jim and Dennis wouldn't have spend all this time on a speaker that doesn't sound as good as their lower offerings.  So I ran over to the Salk room with the other speakers, and sure enough, to me they sounded better than the SoundScapes.  I can't say what was up with that.

Thanks for calling it as you saw it!  I have SoundScapes and have had both the HT1’s and the SongTowers in my room.   On a level playing field they do sound a level or two better than the Jim’s older designs to me and all that I have shown them too.  I hope you get to hear them again under better conditions.  YMMV

Bob

a1p1

« Reply #345 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:09 pm »
Whining about the coverage by Tyson, Pez, etc is horseshit. I'm grateful they put in hours of work to share with others who couldn't make it to RMAF. The coverage was great. Why mince words Wayner?  You're butthurt over the fact AVA was called
"mid-fi".

Audioclyde

« Reply #346 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:14 pm »
Just chiming in to say a hearty "Thanks" to all of  you that attended RMAF and have taken the time and effort to share pics and/or your experiences--for those of us not attending, your efforts are a real positive! :thumb:

My opinion is that anyone attending is free to share whatever they choose to share--I don't see any obligation to favor any RMAF vendor over another, AC sponsor or not--don't know that any AC sponsor paid for the member's expenses in attending the show, correct?; I just appreciate the effort.

I hope to attend RMAF soon, next year if all works out--I'm not sure I'm willing to spend my time at the show doing what so many of these AC'ers have done.  A hearty thanks and thumbs up to you all.

Heck, we all know (or at least should know) that all anyone can do is share their opinion--I suggest that not everyone happens to prefer the same type of sound, etc., so we all should take the information we are being given in that way!!

Randy

Pez

« Reply #347 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:17 pm »
While we're having a moment of honesty I'll say this, I thought the Bolder cables Eastern electric modded dac and modded touch was the best source at the show period. Yeah, last year I might not have said that (if your were unaware Wayne and I are friends), but this year I think it's important for people to know the truth bias and all. :P

Pez

« Reply #348 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:21 pm »
Also Lou from Daedalus and I are friends and I thought his room sucked the first day. Days two and three were much better though.   :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #349 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:40 pm »

Salk Speakers - OK, truth time.  Last year I simply hated the Salk room - the combo of bright ribbon tweeter and metal midrange simply drove me out of the room.  I didn't say anything at the time because I'm a gentleman.  I'm very happy to report that the circular crappy ribbon tweeter has been replaced with a RAAL tweeter this year.  This is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement!!  For me personally, the SALKS are still not quite my preferred flavor, but the sound did not drive me out of the room.  In fact, listening to how coherent and detailed they are from top to bottom, combined with the absoletly STUNNING cabinet work and craftmanship on them, I'd give them the "FLOORSTANDING SPEAKER BARGAIN OF THE SHOW" award. IMO, Salk speakers really need to break away from the mid-fi AVA gear and start showing with true high end gear to really show what they are capable of.  I know Jim and Frank are probably friends, but business is business.]

I knew I'd find it. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #350 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:44 pm »
I, for one, had never really heard Daedalus speakers before.  I had been turned on to them years ago by Double Ugly, and had kept a close watch on their progress.  When I heard them in the Gabilier room I was quite disappointed but assumed they were set up incorrectly.  Then I visited Lou Hinkle's own suite.  He was running MW KWA 150 monoblocks (on top), amps I also own, so I thought I could hear these puppies finally in their majesty.  He even used Master Set for speaker alignment/positioning which put them fairly close to the back walls (he was setup east/west in this larger suite).  I was still slightly underwhelmed, but enjoyed meeting Lou and seeing for myself that he is both proud yet humble, passionate yet laid back in his approach.  Great guy.  Now I gotta somehow hear these speakers in their glory...maybe they aren't my cup of tea.

Thanks to Woodsyi, I went over to the much smaller First Sound room.  The Ulysses were pulled out 5 ft into the room, acoustic treatment was either minimal or nonexistant, and he was using an AMR cd player and a 30 watt OTL amp (Berning).  Hmm..could this work?  Emmanuel (founder/designer of First Sound pre) had quite an eclectic set of music for demo, and I thought, what the heck, give the Daedalus's one more try.  WOW!  If not best sounding room, it was in my top 2-3!  The soundstage, imaging, depth, tonality, detail, yadayada was something I expect in my own home, not a corner hotel room.  Very impressive, very musical and I could have stayed there all day.  Pez went as far as naming the preamp his equipment-of-the-show, and I can't argue (assuming you know the pieces parts well enough to pull out one piece...and he does).  The Daedalus's shined.  Ulysses is a great name for them; they are large, powerful, and show leadership in speaker design.  Well done.

My other comments are in the best of show thread.  Overall, great show, great people, great dinners, some new found music, and great discussions.  To find a few rooms that played wonderful sounding music...real icing on the cake.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #351 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:51 pm »
I got to hear the Bolder/Daedalus room a lot.  We even went up to the room after our happy meal on Friday to have private listening session after Modwright amps were put in.  The room sounded fine but I was feeling good then.  Saturday, something was not quite right.  The mid/treble was a bit off making it a bit bright and congested in the middle.  Sunday morning, it was good.    I walked in the room and ted b. and Quest for Sound was already there.  They can confirm what they heard.  Everything I heard was balanced and music was really flowing.  I asked Lou what change he made.  He told me changed the input on the preamp.  He had several different inputs on his preamp and the silver one used before was to bright.  He changed to all copper input and that was the difference I heard.  Sunday morning was the best.  One of the best at the show.  I am sure Wayne's crossover for the  Bow contributed to the sound.  His modified EE DAC was sounding really good.  But I am an analog guy and I have to tell you the vinyl was really good in this room.  The new 7k arm from the French composer Joel worked well.  The makeshift Hagerman Trumpet was also doing great.  The analog sound was just glorious on Sunday morning.  The triangles and cymbals just lingered in the air buffeting your senses in just the right way.   :thumb:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #352 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:39 pm »
Mid-fi gear?  Is that why The Absolute Sound rates us as one of the thirty best values in audio?

Frank Van Alstine

rjbond3rd

« Reply #353 on: 20 Oct 2010, 04:50 pm »
The Daedalus's shined.  Ulysses is a great name for them; they are large, powerful, and show leadership in speaker design.

Just having fun here but in Greek literature, while he is definitely "epic," Ulysses (Odysseus) was short, stout, crafty and a terrible leader -- while he survived thanks to his ingenuity, his men perished :)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #354 on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:20 pm »
Just having fun here but in Greek literature, while he is definitely "epic," Ulysses (Odysseus) was short, stout, crafty and a terrible leader -- while he survived thanks to his ingenuity, his men perished :)

I know, my youngest son told me the same damn thing!  Oh well, horrible name for these speakers Lou!!!!   :D

allencsong

« Reply #355 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:12 pm »
Okay, after getting home really late because my flight was delayed, I'm sufficiently conscious now to add photos and comments from some rooms I visited on Saturday.  Like on Friday's coverage, same  :thumb: and  :thumb: :thumb: rating for rooms I enjoyed most. 

Vincent electronics feeding Wharfedale speakers.  Whafedale is importing speakers again to the U.S.
Decent sound.

Sjofn HiFi featuring "The Clue," a small monitor speaker which the importer claims the bass can go down to 28 hz on a 3 3/4" mid/bass driver.  He demonstrated bass with some bass kick drums cd, which sounded clean and articulate.  Overall, "The Clue" produced clean sound, with decent imaging.  Show special price: $999 pr.  :thumb:

JIB cables imported from Germany.  This is their top of the line speaker cable.  OK sound, but expensive. :thumb: :thumb: Actually, the price is great. 2.5M /pair for less than $1K

Simon Yorke TT S9 Flamenco turntable, CAT signature preamp and amp, Ayre QB9 dac, and Lansche #3 speakers.  The sound was organic and smooth, but with nice detail, making it a nice musical experience.   :thumb:

This is the new Von Schweikert VR 33 speaker.  The brouchure states: "For the first time ever, own a $15,000 speaker for only $3,750."  It's a bold statement, but you listen and be the judge.   To my ears, the system produced a nice tonal balance, and was very listenable.  :thumb:  The other Von Schweirkert room with the VR 35 speaker also sounded very nice.

Roger Sanders electronics and electrostatic speaker.  This system produced a broad soundstage, with fast transients and punchy bass.  Roger set up his speakers diagonally in the room because he found the soundstaging work best that way.   :thumb:

YG Acoustic speakers.  If you like a nice Hifi sound, then you'll like these.

Bryston electronics and PMC speakers - Nice balanced sound with good but not etched detail.  The PMC speaker is the IB2.  :thumb:

Thor Audio electronics and CD Duevel 'Bella Luna Diamante' omni-directional speakers.  The speakers are imported from Germany.  This system's sound grabs your attention.  If you want a more laid back presentation, get something else.  Sound was extremely clean but not harsh, and lightning fast.  The soundstage presentation was large and a bit forward, while image specificity was a little vague, which is fairly common with omni-directional speakers.   :thumb:

Onedof turntable.  This is a beautifully made TT, and the sound was quite nice.

deHavilland electronics and Sonist speakers.  This was one of my favorite rooms last year, and it is again this year.  Excellent sonics, regardless of price!  :thumb: :thumb:

Modwright electronics and Daedulus speakers.  Another fine sounding room.  Tonality was superbly balanced, and resolution was good but not etched.  In the photo, Dan Wright is telling me about the mods made to the OppO BDP-83 DVD player.  Both the OppO and a Sony cd player uses 2 6SN7 tubes as part of the mods.   :thumb: :thumb:

Sunday's coverage in a little while.

Paul Mah

charles28722

« Reply #356 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:16 pm »
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post coverage.  I have been to RMAF twice and was not able to attend this year.  As the opening date grew nearer, I really wished I could be there and checked this cirlce half a dozen times each day looking for the the latest updates.  Thanks, again. 

As for you guys with the hurt feelings, just get over it.  Audio gear and our perceptions of what we hear and think we hear are subjective, fickled, quirky and so BS-saturated that I just walk away from it sometimes.  Let your ears be your guide and you will never be lost.

As for Mr. Van Alstine, I hope you are big enough to ignore the negativity above.  I've never heard your stuff but I recommend that you keep doing excactly what you are doing.  You apparently are selling a lot of gear and making a lot of people happy.  Isn't that the whole point?

Charles

TheChairGuy

« Reply #357 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:52 pm »
Mid-fi gear?  Is that why The Absolute Sound rates us as one of the thirty best values in audio?

Frank Van Alstine

Frank,

Clearly, you shoot for a higher standard for 40 years...this was an off-the-cuff remark from a passionate audiophile.  It may have been his/her honest opinion - probably just not entirely accurate to state this.

We're all guilty of saying flippant things once in a while - yourself included. Hang tuff :thumb:

Nice to have met you, finally.

John

saisunil

« Reply #358 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:54 pm »
Paul, I really love your ratings ...  :D

Okay, this is my favorite rooms list from the three days:

Fritzspeakers and ModWright electronics room.  :thumb:
Audio Physic speakers and Trigon electronics room.  :thumb:
LessLoss room.  :thumb:
Sjofn Hifi - "The Clue" speaker room.  :thumb:
Simon Yorke, CAT, Ayre, Lansche room.  :thumb:
Von Schweikert VR33 and VR35 rooms.  :thumb:
Sanders electronics and electrostatics room.  :thumb:
Bryston electronics and PMC speakers room.  :thumb:
Thor electronics and CD Deuvel speakers room.  :thumb:
Rogue electronics and Tel cables room.  :thumb:
AudoKinesis speaker and Neko Dac room.  :thumb:
GR Research, Dodd Audio, db Labs room.   :thumb: :thumb:
Xact audio, Allnic audio, Hammertone audio, Reed tonearm room.   :thumb: :thumb:
ModWright electronics, Daedalus speakers room.   :thumb: :thumb:
deHavilland electronics, Sonist speakers room.   :thumb: :thumb:
Joseph Audio Pulsar speaker room.   :thumb: :thumb:
Linkwitz/Orion room.   :thumb: :thumb:  This was my favorite room.

Read my earlier comments on these rooms for sound impressions.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #359 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:01 pm »
Its amazing that we equate things to certain level of 'whatever'

1. Tubes = warm, hot  so they must sound very warm and tubey, elegant etc.
2. Digital - cold, harsh , on and off, bits so this equates to hard, harsh, solid state sound etc not so elegant.
3. low dollar stuff = crappy, not audiophile
4. high dollar stuff = WOW, great sound, audiophile.
5. 14 ga wire from Home Depot = Crappola sound
6. 6" diameter cables for $2000 or more = Golly Gee it sounds AWESOME!
7. Metal speaker cones = metallic sounding, brittle sound, digital like...
8. Soft speaker cones = Soft sound, nice sound, wonderful sound, warm like tubes
9. Audio Gear < $1000 = lo-fi, mid-fi or NO-fi?
10. Audio gear >$1000 = Hi-Fi ????

I could go on and on...and I am really laughing here...are we human beings so gullible??

and yes I am human as well!!

What a wonderful pastime!!

All the best
Alex
 :D