WSJ article on some vintage gear aficionados

djbnh

WSJ article on some vintage gear aficionados
« on: 20 Oct 2018, 08:45 am »
Article entitled Addicted to Audio: Why Music Obsessives Blow Their 401Ks Chasing Down Vintage Gear.

[NOTE: I don't have a WSJ subscription, but found that you can acccess WSJ content by: copying / pasting the article's title in Google search, then subsequently clicking on the Google search results article which brings up the entire article in the WSJ.]

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: WSJ article on some vintage gear aficionados
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2018, 12:28 pm »
Good read, time to start hoarding!

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2018, 01:24 pm »
there are specific characteristics of vintage pieces that appreciate.  Some pieces are vintage but they are hardly worth the trouble refurbishing.  The Garrard, different.  Also Lencos are good starting point.  Older fullrange vintage drivers, might be a good intro.  I would not consider blowing $40K for a pair of amps although the Lansing Paragon....oh dear.  You need to first purchase a mid century house+ furniture to actually make space for it. 

Old JBL, Altec and Tannoy fullrange coaxial speakers are also good introduction to that vintage sound.

There has got to be some sort of emotional/psychological effect on the fact that you are listening for a fully refurbished vintage piece.  The power of suggestion plays heavy part on this. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2018, 04:12 pm »
Fun read, thanks for the tip. Same procedure works with Bing for access.  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2018, 11:45 pm »
Most of my old tuners (Sherwood, Harmon Kardon) sound much better than the modern solid state ones I've tried.

Audioblast

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2018, 10:36 pm »
Thanks for the tip, this looks like a great article