High end UPS for AV?

richidoo

High end UPS for AV?
« on: 10 Jan 2022, 06:21 pm »
My utility has frequent sags, flickers lasting less than 1 second. Happens on windy days when lines touch  trees. And sadly, no, they won't trim the trees.  :duh:

I currently use Eaton UPSs on computers and HT gear which seems adequate. But the Aurender N100 streamer in my stereo cant tolerate the short power dips even tho plugged into Eaton UPS. It requires reboot after any power event before it will play music again.

I was recommended Cyberpower but the reviews on A'zon seem a little rough.
I want it to switch to battery very fast like 1mS, and have sine output. I'd like it to last a few years and have user replaceable battery and battery monitoring for preemptive maintenance. 1000w probably the right power.

Appreciate hearing your advice and experiences. Thanks!

toocool4

Re: High end UPS for AV?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2022, 07:16 pm »
I use an Emerson Liebert GXT4 3kVA Online Double Conversion Regenerative Power Supply. It converts incoming power to DC then converts that DC to perfect Sinewave AC, so it’s galvanically isolated from the incoming AC. Also you can set it to give out a constant voltage no matter what is coming in.

Checkout this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jaoobNKknE

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2022, 09:35 pm »
Look up the transfer time for your Eaton UPS, a transfer time of 3-8 ms is typical for the switch to battery mode. The the Aurender N100 streamer would like it faster.

Both Liebert and Eaton have double conversion UPS with zero transfer time. Here is an article explaining the 3 types of UPS systems:
https://www.vertiv.com/en-ca/about/news-and-insights/articles/educational-articles/what-are-the-different-types-of-ups-systems/

Double conversion UPS can get expensive, an option would be to keep your existing Eaton and get a used/refurbished double conversion UPS just for the Aurender like the $160 Eaton on eBay.
Oops, noticed it ships without batteries, that could be a deal killer.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2022, 11:32 pm »
Very helpful, thanks both!