List of recommended amps for Omegas

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: List of recommended amps for Omegas
« Reply #60 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:42 am »
Has anyone tried a vintage Mcintosh MC-225, 240, or even a pair of MC-30s? Especially with a pair of the Alnicos.

If so, I'd be curious how the MC-Omega combo compares with Omegas powered by more modern tube amps, like Decwares.
Ozoid,
I have a customer who has an MC275 Version V that he has run with his Super 3i and loves the sound.  He's now ordered some Super 3XRS.

ozoid

« Reply #61 on: 7 Feb 2015, 06:17 am »
thanks, Rob. It's an intriguing combination, one recommended to me by a Positive Feedback writer, Jeff Day, who liked Omegas enough to buy the ones he reviewed. Thanks to ZLS I got a real taste of those alnicos. For now I'm limited to a desktop system that's too close to an Omega-Dec SET to replace, but it's fun to imagine how to rebuild & restore my full system around a set of alnicos. 

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #62 on: 8 Jun 2015, 09:20 pm »
Under $500... Crown XLS 1500.  This amp will compete with amps 10x it's price, not kidding. It also includes a built-in 24 dB Linkwitz-Riley crossover, increasing it's flexibility. On some types of music and at higher volume it will be better than any low powered SET amp and it's good enough just in general that you may not feel the need for a SET amp anymore. I would consider a tube preamp or buffer a requirement though.

I am getting some 3XRS's very soon and really want them to sing. I currently own a really nice Pioneer Elite SX-A9 integrated amp that powers some Tekton M-Lores but was wondering if I should use the Pioneer as a pre-amp for the Crown XLS-1500? Here is a link to the Pioneer.
http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsandrecommendations/fr/PioneerSXA9.htm

doggie

« Reply #63 on: 10 Jun 2015, 12:37 pm »
I am using a Pass Labs SIT2 with my Super6 Alnicos and it is a wonderful match.

seikosha

« Reply #64 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:01 pm »
I am getting some 3XRS's very soon and really want them to sing. I currently own a really nice Pioneer Elite SX-A9 integrated amp that powers some Tekton M-Lores but was wondering if I should use the Pioneer as a pre-amp for the Crown XLS-1500? Here is a link to the Pioneer.

HiFiJeff,

Just curious, what was it about the Tekton's that you found lacking that pushed you to switch to Omegas?

Brad

« Reply #65 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:41 pm »
I am using a Pass Labs SIT2 with my Super6 Alnicos and it is a wonderful match.

That's an amp I've been wanting to hear for a good while.   Reno had a demo for $3k, but that was just outside of my amp budget last time around.   :duh:
(If you define 'just outside' as 'about double')
I'm sure you're getting some terrific sound with that and the Alnicos.

Audiophile58

To All I bought the Coincident Dynamo SET amp with you can run direct,using Alps best 100k volume pot. or with a seperate preamp once you shed the  Chinese tubes and put good aftermarket tubes you are golden.I t is a Very good sounding amp and will go toe to toe with ease with anything up to $3k for I have .for the record I want to clear up some Misinformation that was not totally accurate. This model the only thing made in Asia was the Stainless case work very well done in Hong KOng .That Is It !!  The transformers being the most important
part of a Vacuum tube amp is the Transformers .If you go to Coincident Speakers web pages you can find a lot of information.  The transformers
are made to their spec and the Best 6-9s Copper Made in Japan  all other parts around the world mainly Japan and North America  .for $1,295 it is the best amplifier in Audio
IMO. please find me Anywhere, A  Japanese wound  6-9s Copper meaning it is what is called here  0-Crystal Copper transformers at this price . roughly 8 watts SET
that plays with tons of musicality and way bigger then it should,also the  Star grounding which is a Excellent way to ground a component .The only weak link is the stock tubes . I changed the rectifier to a direct replacement, 5ar4 Mullard indirect heater No flash slow on.plus it has a soft start . you read about  stock tubes which BTW many rectifiers are direct heater type and a flash on start up.  EL 34 Mullards very good modern tubes , and the 6SL7 driver tubes I have NOS Real Tungsols
for $250 in tubes at least 10% better across the board.  I hope that helps Check it out .p.s get a Good power cord and a 3A slow blow 20mm Hifi tuning Supreme fuse .

Audiophile58

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #68 on: 12 Jun 2015, 04:49 pm »
HiFiJeff,

Just curious, what was it about the Tekton's that you found lacking that pushed you to switch to Omegas?

The color. As crazy as that sounds, I was able to pick up some M-Lores for a really good price, but they were in satin red. I just really wanted to hear for myself what all the hype was about. If they were in a wood veneer or high gloss finish, I would just keep them and be happy. They are a wonderful sounding speaker. I was initially just going to get some Lore References in the BMW Cyber Grey mirror finish but started doing more research on single driver HE speakers and Omega really got me very intrigued. After some conversations with Louis, I was hooked. I am actually getting a custom version of the 3XRS. Really excited about them. From what I have been reading, they are totally different from anything I have probably ever heard.

Audiophile58

« Reply #69 on: 13 Jun 2015, 09:59 am »
Hifi Jeff, I see mention of a speaker but nothing on recommended Amplifiers.
This thread was created for what amplifiers work well with Omega speakers to help others.
Jeff What amplifier would you  recommend as your favorite ?

Sense63

« Reply #70 on: 13 Jun 2015, 02:27 pm »
I currently use two ingegrateds with my Super Alnico monitors:
Luxman SQ-N100- Very nice match.
VAC Sigma 160i- In a whole different league.  I've never heard such an amazing synergistic combination before with any speakers or amps.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2015, 03:36 pm by Sense63 »

seikosha

« Reply #71 on: 13 Jun 2015, 03:35 pm »
Hifi Jeff, I see mention of a speaker but nothing on recommended Amplifiers.
This thread was created for what amplifiers work well with Omega speakers to help others.
Jeff What amplifier would you  recommend as your favorite ?

He mentioned his amp in a few posts above.  It was a Pioneer.

Flinx99

« Reply #72 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:02 pm »

Jeff,

I went from a Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX (AV receiver) running in stereo only to a pair of Musical Fidelity M1PWR amps.  The Pioneer sounded great to me, but when I replaced it with these amps running as monoblocks, I was blown away.  It sounded like I also bought better speakers.  I added Super 3is later on and my sound is even better, so I would love to hear what the 3XRS sound like on these.  This is a class D amp and two of them run very cool, which is nice in Texas.  I have run one amp in stereo and can definitely tell the difference when going back to monoblock configuration---better soundstage and fuller sound.  The best way to describe it is to tell you to picture a very good pencil drawing with no shading.  Add some shading and the same picture, while unchanged for the most part, looks much more realistic.

A pair of these amps can be had for under $1k in the US.  They skyrocket in price overseas and they're from an English company.  Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.musicdirect.com/search.aspx?searchterm=m1 pwr

I'm am very happy with the sound and my Omegas are still breaking in.

Jim

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 13 Jun 2015, 04:32 pm »
At around $400 CAD the Temple Audio Bantam Gold is showing itself to be a great amp with my Super 7 Monitors and Super 3i Monitors.  My 3i are on the desktop with the Temple and my Audio Sector DAC.  I don't recall a better sounding desktop system.

I have the Temple teamed up with my Herus+ and Super 7s in a room system and the dynamics and speed are amazing.  With the Temple on the battery powered option and a Herus DAC being fed by a laptop or i device, one can have a really nice "off the grid" system.

What I love about the sound of the Temple hooked up to my Omegas is the lovely, airy, non grainy top end, and solid foundation on the bottom end (I run no subs), but where this amp really shines is in the midrange, which is the most important area of good sound.  In less words, the tonal quality of this amp is amazing.

steve f

« Reply #74 on: 13 Jun 2015, 09:33 pm »
I want to add to my amp recommendations.

First, I previously recommended the Crown XLS series. I still do. They can drive your Omega speakers perfectly without clipping. My choice is the XLS1500 though. The 2000 on up are unnecessary overkill as the 1500 itself will easily provide more power than an Omega speaker can use. Do not by the 1000 amp. It uses a different front end circuit, I'm told, that isn't quite as good as the circuit the 1500 and up uses.

I recently listened to a pair of Quicksilver mini monos and a pair of their V4 amps. Both were excellent with Omega, Horn Shoppe, and a large panel speaker with a Fostex 8" driver. I was impressed with build quality of both amp series. I'm going to offend the Decware users, but IMO the sound, fit, and finish of the Quicksilver amps are better. If you don't need much power the Se84 series by Decware are good, and their best offerings. I haven't listened to Decware's flagship amp.

The best sounding tube amps I've used are Transcendent Sound, but they are kits. You have to build them. The megabuck amps that the audio publications tout are not in their league. I tried a CJ and ARC amps, and neither impressed me as much.

Lastly, if you can find parts for them, consider the Amp Camp amps designed by Nelson Pass. About 5 Watts and excellent sound. Another cheap amp, and you have to build them.

All of these amps will make your Omegas sing.

Steve

Edit: I agree with Audiophile58. The Coincident amps are very good. Didn't get to hear them with Omegas, but I was impressed with them on a nice 3 way design. Definitely worth checking out. Do not use boutique fuses though, a safety issue.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #75 on: 13 Jun 2015, 09:44 pm »
I currently use two ingegrateds with my Super Alnico monitors:
Luxman SQ-N100- Very nice match.
VAC Sigma 160i- In a whole different league.  I've never heard such an amazing synergistic combination before with any speakers or amps.

A few posts up, I did mention that I am currently using the Pioneer Elite AX-A9 Air Studios 2 channel integrated amp right now which I am really enjoying but also mentioned using it as a pre-amp and maybe trying the Crown XLS-1500 for amplification. I have heard a lot of good things about Crown amps. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #76 on: 13 Jun 2015, 09:50 pm »
Thanks Steve,

The Transcendent Sound amps look very interesting.  On the subject of OTL, David Berning is at it again.  He has a nice little OTL flea power amp (MICROZOTL) that would be a shoe-in with some Super 3i or Super 3 Desktop on the desktop or in a small room.  Not cheap, but still a very reasonable price.  He also has a bigger amp in the works. 
See link: http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/#about

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #77 on: 13 Jun 2015, 09:50 pm »
A few posts up, I did mention that I am currently using the Pioneer Elite SX-A9 Air Studios 2 channel integrated amp right now which I am really enjoying but also mentioned using it as a pre-amp and maybe trying the Crown XLS-1500 for amplification. I have heard a lot of good things about Crown amps.

steve f

« Reply #78 on: 14 Jun 2015, 01:31 am »
Canada Rob,
Roger Modjeski introduced a small OTL several months ago. I haven't heard one yet. Given Rogers reputation, I'm sure it's a great amp.
Steve

RDavidson

« Reply #79 on: 14 Jun 2015, 02:58 am »
Canada Rob,
Roger Modjeski introduced a small OTL several months ago. I haven't heard one yet. Given Rogers reputation, I'm sure it's a great amp.
Steve

I think most anything from Roger will pique the attention of many here. Can you provide more info or a link to that "new" (several months ago) amp?