Full range 8" with 15" helper woofer, stone veneer.

triumph

Edit:  Fixed pics.

Here's my freshly almost finished OB using a TB 8" full range, and a 15" helper woofer for the low end.
Only need to wire them up.

The stone is called Blue Barracuda.  It is 6mm thin and laminated to another 6mm of honeycombed aluminium, hence the use of the word "veneer".  At the core is 18mm of BB plywood.
They weigh about 22kg each.

I love how they turned out. 

« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2017, 06:06 pm by triumph »

srb

Re: Full range 8" with 15" helper woofer, stone veneer.
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2017, 02:31 pm »
Here's my freshly almost finished OB using a TB 8" full range, and a 15" helper woofer for the low end.
I love how they turned out.

It sounds like you intended to post photo(s), but there are no images and there's no Gallery in your profile.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2017, 03:06 pm »
Looks really nice!  :thumb:

Did you cut the stone yourself? Is the composite baffle pretty well damped?

I built a TB 1772 in a TL box a couple years ago, sounded really great. Is yours 1772 or 1808? They both have very low Qms, so you can use a nice sounding 'current source' amp with these TBs. The curved wizzer of these TBs sounds a little more tame (in a good way) than conical type imo.

What are you planning for crossover?

Edit: Oh I see it's a 1772. Nice!!!

opa1

• ALEPH J, ALPAIR 10P CGR, Lii Audio F-15 OB's.
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2017, 03:37 pm »
Nice work! What LF driver you using?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2017, 04:17 pm »
Is it the white quartzite project or the Hinoki project on your website?

triumph

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2017, 04:33 pm »
It sounds like you intended to post photo(s), but there are no images and there's no Gallery in your profile.

Hmmm... strange.  Others seem to have seen them.

Here's a link to an album I've created here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=23982

Couldn't find a "Create Gallery" in my Profile tab.  How do I do that?

triumph

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2017, 04:57 pm »
Oops!  Looks like I've created one Gallery anyway!  Well, that's good!

Thank you all for the replies! 

To answer a few questions:

- A local factory has cut and laminated the stone to aluminium for me.  They use CNC water jet cutting for the shape, and a special system to be able to cut down to 6mm thin.  There's no way I could cut a stone panel down to 6mm by hand.  I glued the plywood and both front and back, made a frame and painted myself.  The whole thing is very well damped, each composite cancelling the others resonances.  Bass plays loud and there's hardly any vibration on the baffle. 

- Yes, it is the 1772, not the more popular 1808 that most people use with OB.  Reasons are: I had them, and the LF driver is an "extended" range, so I am able to XO as high as 500Hz if I wanted. 

- As it stands now, XO is at 350Hz, using a miniDSP HD and a "transient perfect" Harsch type XO, which is a low pass filter for the woofer 4th order Butterworth, and a high pass filter on the FR 2nd order Bessel. 

- The LF driver is a locally (Taiwan) made 15" driver.  At the moment, it is a bit low at Qts 0.72, but I'm in talks with the factory to come up with a higher Qts driver.  Should have some news in the coming weeks.  Still, not bad as it is now, having -3dB at 39Hz. 

- These are neither the white quartzite project nor the Hinoki project.  Hinoki is wood only.  That's next on my plate.  The white quartzite sealed boxes have been dropped.  I'm infatuated with OB at the moment, and that's where my energy will go.

I will have distortion measurements as soon as I set them up.  I suspect that will be quite low.