Help troubleshooting network streaming issues (audio dropouts)

RandyH

I have a Synology NAS streaming FLAC files to a Lumin T-1 streamer.  I also stream TIDAL.  Everything has been working great until just recently.  I am now experiencing periodic audio dropouts when streaming from the NAS.  Tidal streams without errors.  I knew this network audio/streaming was working too well.  The setup was too easy and it worked too well for so long :-)  but eventually a gremlin showed up.  My problem now is trying to identify the source of these glitches.  My router is an Apple Time Capsule.  My first thought was the NAS and/or the MinimServer since the audio dropouts are only coming from my stored files. Thee router could also be at fault but I have experienced no other network issues...and again TIDAL files stream flawlessly.  I also considered the Lumin player but I have experienced the same issues when streaming to a Bluesound Node 2 in another room. 

I know these network troubleshooting issues can be difficult to pin down and my knowledge of networks and how they work is limited.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues and what you did to fix it...or what you would suggest I try.  Thanks for your help.

toddbagwell

I had some similar issues a few years ago. One of my NAS hard drives was going bad, but had not yet failed. I'd double check the smart statistics on your NAS drives.

Good luck figuring this out

Todd

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
I had the exact same issue. The problem is the RAAT, which was updated a while ago with the Synology, but the Lumin probably is late...
My streamer got an update last week, issue completely vanished!

Wind Chaser

My streamer got an update last week, issue completely vanished!

Ditto!

I'm also thinking these things are computers and sometimes a reboot helps. YMMV

RandyH

Thanks guys for your input.  The diagnostic and monitoring system on the NAS shows everything to be in good shape....no reported issues with hard drive.  What is RAAT?  I will check with Lumin support to see if there is firmware upgrades  about to be released.

Randy

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
I am positive the NAS is not the issue.
Have you tried disconnecting one streamer and have only one connected to the network? The problem might be caused by one of them, most likely the node2. Do not just turn it off, but actually unplug one from the network and the mains, reboot everything connected to the network, and see if the problem remains.
RAAT is a networking protocol.

RandyH

thanks for your response.  The Bluesound Node2 is running WiFi so I don't see how it could be conflicting with the Lumin.  Also the Bluesound accesses the music files from the UPnP server built in to the NAS while the Lumin access the files via MinimServer.  I contacted MinimServer support and they also suggest it is a network issue.  They recommended moving the NAS from it's direct connection to the router to a switch.  Initially when I did this the Lumin could still not find MinimServer.  As I explored more in my package folder on the Synology NAS I discovered that MinimServer was turned off.  I turned it back on and all has been working well for the past 2 days.  Simon from MinimServer said it looked like MinimServer may have crashed...but not sure why.