Isoaoustic Gaia 2 on HT3s

Big Red Machine

Re: Isoaoustic Gaia 2 on HT3s
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2017, 08:37 am »
You may need to contact the manufacture to get the right studs to fit your speakers. I didn't see the listing to know what studs were included. I have one extra set of four if you need them. Great deal on those:)

I should be golden. I built my steel plinths with 1/4-20 threads and attached my copper "feet" (balls) with stainless 1/4-20 set screws so I could attach one from the top and one from the bottom. So if the screws are long enough I can grab my upper copper ball. If not I should be able to reuse my set screws.

Sorry Tom!!

Forgot to add, my speakers typically weigh in at 135 lbs., but with two cabinets and my added lead weights to the uppers to secure them from rattling, they are probably 150 lbs. each. So I agree that going into the midrange is probably better and we will have to see what sort of performance I get. They will certainly look better than the Fatpadz but not as good as my copper balls. Way easier to move around which I am still doing now and then.

The seller is a real sweatheart and did get to listen to Exotica 3's at CAF so he at least respects what can be accomplished after seeing the Arc demo by Ginkgo under the Song 3's.

jriggy

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:27 pm »
jriggy,  I am not sure so you should check with someone who knows but I think your cup may be half empty.  The range for the GAIA IIs might be considered from 70-120 with the GAIA III being for 70 and under.  But of course that puts 70 pound speakers at the upper limit of the GAIAIII.  So  :scratch:  I am just repeating what I was told.  I did not question it further.  You do bring up an interesting point. I don't think you should consider the range to be from zero to the max rated.

But I think the point is GAIAs still work within their range.  Is it surprising that they would work differently with different weight?  I think that would be expected.

Thanks for straightening out my thoughts on the math... yes, IF true, shooting for middle of 70 to 120 for a set of GAIA II’s makes sense. I’m at 102lb with my speakers, so that’s pretty close to center range.

I did contact ISOacoustics and got a responce within a few hours or so. The responder said “No I would not
say that is true that the units work best in the middle of their weight range.”

But I lean towards what you were told by the distributor...with their construction (rubber compound like the other ISO offerings?), it is not surprising that a set of GAIAs might work differently with diferent weights.

I am going to wait and see if there is a coupon code or sale for Cruchfield coming up this weekend and order sets for my Daedalus Argos.

jriggy

« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2017, 02:33 pm »
BRM,

It will be sad to see your copper balls go.  :lol:

I will be using the GAIAs on outrigger bars, so I’m curious where you got your tapped balls?
Would be cool if I could do the same w/ the dark chrome or somthing similar to cover and finish the top of the screw.

Jason

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2017, 04:08 pm »

But I lean towards what you were told by the distributor...with their construction (rubber compound like the other ISO offerings?), it is not surprising that a set of GAIAs might work differently with diferent weights.

Exactly.  Otherwise just make one size fits all.  Once again, size matters.  :lol:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2017, 04:43 pm »
BRM,

It will be sad to see your copper balls go.  :lol:

I will be using the GAIAs on outrigger bars, so I’m curious where you got your tapped balls?
Would be cool if I could do the same w/ the dark chrome or somthing similar to cover and finish the top of the screw.

Jason

They were plating balls for plating tanks. My home laptop would have the site address in some favorite folder I am sure. Otherwise you'll have to search for chrome balls. I drilled and tapped the copper, they were not perfectly round and smooth as you could see they were cast in a simple mold like a muzzle loader might use for ammo, only mucho larger. The bottom balls are 2 inches in diameter.

jriggy

« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2017, 05:32 pm »
Thanks!

I see there’s a bunch of taped balls out there to finish this look. Can’t wait to get the GAIA II’s here.

Big Red Machine

putz

« Reply #28 on: 28 Nov 2017, 06:01 am »
So a friend stopped by today with 6 Gaia 3's to try under various components. We tried them at my house and another friends house under 2 Preamps, 1 Dac and 2 Phono Preamps. Both systems are top notch and all the components already had other aftermarket isolation devices under them.

We listened to the same recordings, first without the Gaia's and then added one set of 3 and then the second set of 3 under a second component. Each time the sound got noticeably better to all 3 of us.

If any of you are acquiring Gaia's for your speakers, I'd like you to first try them as we did above and let us know if you hear a difference. At $50 a piece, the Gaia 3's are a reasonably priced tweak. They're rated for 70 pounds per a set of 4, so that should cover all but the heaviest amps. As far as I know the Gaia 1's and 2's should perform the same way with the main difference being their ability to handle more weight. We intend to speak to the manufacturer to confirm this. I know of at least one high end equipment manufacturer who will be using them as footers for all their components going forward.

jriggy

« Reply #29 on: 28 Nov 2017, 02:17 pm »
Are you saying you installed GAIA footers in place of stock feet on components? Or you used them without the threaded inserts, with the component resting on top of the GAIA footers?
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2017, 03:39 pm by jriggy »

putz

« Reply #30 on: 28 Nov 2017, 04:24 pm »
Are you saying you installed GAIA footers in place of stock feet on components? Or you used them without the threaded inserts, with the component resting on top of the GAIA footers?

The components just rested on top of the Gaia's. The Gaia's were tall enough so that the existing footers were left attached but did not make contact with the surface.

If you want to attach the Gaia to a component as a permanent footer, you would need to get the right size thread. Doing that "might" produce additional sonic improvements.

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2017, 07:16 am »
All my comments are about the Gaia by IsoAcoustics.

I have tried many types of isolators and/or vibration control over the years. Most did make a difference but they also made a negative overall impact in the sound. So not worthwhile.
Only a few made a worthwhile improvement overall.

This is whether under a speaker or equipment.

I recently had the opportunity to try the Gaia under various types of equipment and can highly recommend them.
I tried the Gaia in three different systems and with several different audio buddies. They were tried under several types of equipment.
From a passive preamplifier, active preamplifier, two phono preamplifiers, two DACs, and  several amplifiers both stereo and mono blocks. Price of equipment ranged from a few thousand to over twelve thousand dollars.
All agreed that the Gaia made a positive overall improvement in every case.
Now the Gaia were just placed under each of the equipment (three Gaia per equipment) so there should be a slight additional improvement using them attached and in place of the equipments original footers.

I also want to add that we tried them under a passive type power conditioner that already has anti-vibration built into it. Again it made an improvement.

I hope this helped.

Al Mirabella
Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
Sound Test USA
al.mirabella@soundtest.info

PS at this moment I have no financial interests in IsoAcoustics.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2017, 02:07 am by hifial »

mr_bill

« Reply #32 on: 4 Dec 2017, 06:15 pm »
Thanks Al, interesting to hear.

How did you like the Gaia under speakers?

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #33 on: 5 Dec 2017, 12:45 am »
That is still to come. I had borrowed six Gaia III from a friend who uses them on all his equipment that he builds and sells. He is an OEM.

I do plan to give them a try on my speakers but that may not happen till after the holidays.

When I do try them I will post my impressions.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 7 Dec 2017, 01:15 am »
I installed the Gaia I's just 30 minutes ago. I have last night's SPL trace with just my hard copper feet touching the floor and without the Symposium Fatpadz under the feet.

I see no difference in SPL performance between with and without. Pink is Gaia.

mr_bill

« Reply #35 on: 7 Dec 2017, 01:19 am »
Yes, but what do you hear?

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #36 on: 7 Dec 2017, 02:21 am »
Hi Big Red.

First, are you using the Carpet Spike “adapters” that IsoAcoustics recommends to use with the Gaia when using them on carpets? If not and you don’t have them you can try putting your Gaia on top of a heavy butcher blocks or a large piece of marble or tile etc.

Second, I highly doubt that you will be able to use that measurement in this situation to show whether it makes an audible difference.

Third, did you hear anything?

Cheers, Al.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #37 on: 7 Dec 2017, 02:49 am »
Laminate flooring.

I'm not hearing anything new or different on first blush.

hifial

• Sound Test
« Reply #38 on: 7 Dec 2017, 04:28 am »
Please excuse my questioning of how you are using the Gaia. I just want to make sure that you are using them properly.

When attaching the Gaia to your speakers did you make sure that the logos on the footers are all facing forward. The logos must face forward and on all the footers, otherwise the will not work as well.

It is also my understanding that they do tend to settle over several hours so it might take more than a first blush.

Of course you might just not benefit from them.

TJHUB

« Reply #39 on: 7 Dec 2017, 04:59 am »
I installed the Gaia I's just 30 minutes ago. I have last night's SPL trace with just my hard copper feet touching the floor and without the Symposium Fatpadz under the feet.

I see no difference in SPL performance between with and without. Pink is Gaia.

SPL measurements will not show changes in clarity.  They will only display sound levels of any type, including smeared, and distorted sounds. 

On my end, I’ve tried various spikes, cones, and anti-vibration pads, and it shocks me how much the sound changes.  What’s worse is that nothing sounds better than my stock Salk cones floating on my carpet.  You’re situation is obviously very different.  I just wanted to share.