subs for av1

LouD

subs for av1
« on: 26 Mar 2003, 07:19 pm »
1. Any particular subwoofers suitable for the AV-1?  I'm looking for something small, with a ten inch driver. Ideally would come up with a cross-section identical to the AV1's, so I could build dual woofers and the units could be stacked.

Thanks.

Darren Thomas

Re: subs for av1
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2003, 08:34 pm »
Quote from: LouD
1. Any particular subwoofers suitable for the AV-1?  I'm looking for something small, with a ten inch driver. Ideally would come up with a cross-section identical to the AV1's, so I could build dual woofers and the units could be stacked.

Thanks.

Take a peek at these. Very similar to what you are talking about. You could model the subs after the BESL Series 5 system.

http://www.bamberglab.com/series5.htm

It uses a 10" driver with a 12" PR.

Darren

randog

subs for av1
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2003, 10:43 pm »
Good job Darren, you just found your next assignment for my 1801's!  :lol:

But... they gotta match, dude. Good luck.  :smoke:

Randog

Hey, what's a driver 'drone'?

Darren Thomas

subs for av1
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2003, 10:45 pm »
Quote from: randog
Good job Darren, you just found your next assignment for my 1801's!  :lol:

But... they gotta match, dude. Good luck.  :smoke:

Randog

So, you are still under the impression that I intend to actually ship these things to you eh?  :mrgreen:

Darren

LouD

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2003, 05:54 pm »
I'm thinking two of BESL 10 inch single driver units look pretty good...Can you alter the proportions of a sub cabinent, as long as the volume remains the same?

Darren Thomas

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2003, 06:18 pm »
Quote from: LouD
I'm thinking two of BESL 10 inch single driver units look pretty good...Can you alter the proportions of a sub cabinent, as long as the volume remains the same?

Absolutely. As long as the volume remains the same and the drivers etc will fit on the resulting panels it should be fine.

randog

subs for av1
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2003, 05:02 pm »
That design uses a 12" driver drone.

Randog

Darren Thomas

subs for av1
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2003, 05:05 pm »
That design uses a 12" driver drone.

Randog

The driver is a 10", the drone is basically a 12" passive radiator if I'm not mistaken. It is a 12" driver that is inactive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

randog

subs for av1
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2003, 05:34 pm »
What does a passive radiator accomplish?

Darren Thomas

subs for av1
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2003, 05:36 pm »
What does a passive radiator accomplish?

A passive radiator is another method for increasing the perceived volume of a cabinet. It does the same thing as a port but you have a sealed enclosure rather than a vented enclosure. The passive radiator or PR is weighted to increase the mass which is the method for tuning the enclosure. That's about as detailed as I can get but others are sure to have much more detailed technical info on them.

Darren

Brian Bunge

subs for av1
« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2003, 03:44 am »
Just to add some clarification, PR and port based subs are both bass reflex designs whereas a "sealed" sub is a acoustic suspension design.  A PR is weighted for tuning (the heavier the PR, the lower the tune) and has no motor structure.  One issue is that the PR(s) need to have a minimum of 2x the Vd (volume displacement) of the active driver, with 4x the Vd being even better.

LouD

marchand xm1
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2003, 01:52 pm »
In the interests of not going entirely broke from this hobby, how do we feel about the Marchand XM1 crossover for the BESL DIY sub?   And where to cross with the AV1, about 50 hz?