DIY Dodd Buffer

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #1020 on: 7 Aug 2011, 01:41 am »
The new buffer on the Dodd Audio website does not have a volume control.  It is just a buffer.

You would use the DAC's volume control as normal.

The Buffers are designed to run on a 12VDC SLA or AGM battery.  Just use the correct battery charger for the style battery you choose.

Update:
If you have a Warpspeed, turn the volume all the way up on the DAC.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: 7 Aug 2011, 01:52 am »
Here is the link to the new In-line buffer on Gary's website:

http://doddaudio.com/forsaleitem.aspx

Rclark

« Reply #1022 on: 7 Aug 2011, 02:39 am »
Didn't see a tube listed there in the ingredients. And I'm assuming there is a chassis for it somewhere?

WC

« Reply #1023 on: 7 Aug 2011, 03:41 am »
Provide your own tube and chasis. They are not listed on the parts list.

Rclark

« Reply #1024 on: 7 Aug 2011, 04:53 am »
Looks like it's been updated. That thing looks perfect for me....

Looks like it comes with a chassis??? Oh never mind, that's a fully built inline buffer.... Wow, that might be exactly what I need... I think I need to PM Trung.

Why doesn't Gary Dodd have his own circle? Makes no sense to me.

srb

« Reply #1025 on: 7 Aug 2011, 05:44 am »
Once you source a decent looking case (that won't be silkscreened) and add the parts that it doesn't look like are included with the kit (RCA jacks, switch and Neutrik power jack), I think I would just go with the built unit.

The kit looks like the ticket if you are going to build it into another component (DAC, preamp, amp).

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #1026 on: 8 Aug 2011, 03:06 am »
I'm definitely interested. I'm spending a whole lot of money (for me) on speakers over the next several months (buy MMG's and then have them modified) so this is potentially the next upgrade after that.

But it is nice to see that I have what appears to be a very nice preamp solution in the Dodd inline with Warpspeed for a great price. My Dac already has multiple inputs.

I've spent some time oogling kilo-kilo dollar stuff I will never afford so it's nice that we have less expensive alternatives that are very highly regarded and considered at-that-level or near it. Just not as pretty.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #1027 on: 8 Aug 2011, 03:17 am »
I'm definitely interested. I'm spending a whole lot of money (for me) on speakers over the next several months (buy MMG's and then have them modified) so this is potentially the next upgrade after that.

But it is nice to see that I have what appears to be a very nice preamp solution in the Dodd inline with Warpspeed for a great price. My Dac already has multiple inputs.

I've spent some time oogling kilo-kilo dollar stuff I will never afford so it's nice that we have less expensive alternatives that are very highly regarded and considered at-that-level or near it. Just not as pretty.
Dude, you can't hear "PRETTY".   :lol:

Dave

Rclark

« Reply #1028 on: 8 Aug 2011, 05:38 am »
And for that very reason way, far far cooler looking  :green:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #1029 on: 9 Aug 2011, 12:23 am »
Here is the link to the new In-line buffer on Gary's website:

http://doddaudio.com/forsaleitem.aspx

Would this install between preamp and amp in an integrated? I'm really curious about the buffer and this inline version looks like it would be easy to implement.

pelliott321

« Reply #1030 on: 9 Aug 2011, 03:21 pm »
are there any specs for current draw with various tubes in the standard buffer.
I have searched a bit but can not find any?

JohnR

« Reply #1031 on: 9 Aug 2011, 03:26 pm »
If you're looking for something to follow an active crossover, have a look at the Aikido Cathode Follower (just google)

TrungT

« Reply #1032 on: 9 Aug 2011, 03:31 pm »
6H30 draw most current, ~1A
That's only data I know of.

Maximum Ratings
Plate dissipation: 4 watts
Cathode current (avg.): 40 mA
Cathode current (pulse): 2-3 A !!!!
Max DC plate voltage: 250V
Heater-to-cathode voltage: 400v

Inter-electrode Capacitance
Input : 6.3 pF
Output : 2.4 pF

AC Characteristics
Amplification factor (µ): 15
Plate resistance (rp): 2000 ohms
Transconductance (Gm): 7.6 mA/Voltage

Heater
Voltage: 6.3V
Current: 0.825 A

wilsynet

« Reply #1033 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:46 pm »
Would this install between preamp and amp in an integrated? I'm really curious about the buffer and this inline version looks like it would be easy to implement.

I would think the idea of the kit is for one of the following:

1. Build your own stand alone buffer between a preamp and an amplifier
2. Add a buffer to an DIY amplifier
3. Add a buffer with volume control of your choice to a DIY amplifier
4. Add a buffer to a DIY preamplifier

But probably not to add a buffer between the preamp and amplifier sections of an off the shelf integrated, although if you can manage it, more power to you.  I have not taken an exhaustive survey of integrated amplifiers, but generally I have found that there isn't a lot of room in there.

praedet

« Reply #1034 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:26 pm »
I am thinking this might be a fun fay to make a very cool preamp.  Basically this buffer, a warpspeed volume control, and some type of DIY DAC with multiple inputs...

My biggest problem is figuring out where I would use it :duh:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #1035 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:29 pm »
I would think the idea of the kit is for one of the following:

1. Build your own stand alone buffer between a preamp and an amplifier
2. Add a buffer to an DIY amplifier
3. Add a buffer with volume control of your choice to a DIY amplifier
4. Add a buffer to a DIY preamplifier

But probably not to add a buffer between the preamp and amplifier sections of an off the shelf integrated, although if you can manage it, more power to you.  I have not taken an exhaustive survey of integrated amplifiers, but generally I have found that there isn't a lot of room in there.

Thanks for your thoughts. I mistakenly assumed that because there were preamp outs on my Musical Fidelity A3, that there would be amp inputs...not!

I guess the plug & play method of doing this would require separate amp.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: 9 Aug 2011, 08:06 pm »
praedet,
Trung's post #990 has exactly that setup.

The plexiglass case houses the DAC.

praedet

« Reply #1037 on: 10 Aug 2011, 03:40 am »
Who do you think my inspiration i ;)  I plan to do it in one case though...

Gopher

« Reply #1038 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:48 am »
TrungT was nice enough to loan me his personal Dodd buffer for a week to try with my Decware Torii amp, which I have been having some difficulty finding a proper match in a preamplifier for. 

IVe trie some higher end stuff like Shindo and Tubeguru, but it has been the inexpensive Dodd which has fared best in this system.

Comparing it to the Torii naked or with the Shimdo, the Torii does a great job in increasing sound stage width and depth.  It mains a very clear, coherent transparency and liquidity which the Shindo doesn't quite match with this amp.  Tone is fatter and the sound is nice with the shindo, but it's just faster with better flow with the Dodd.

The Dodd also offers an increase in apparent detail.  I am not saying this buffer is superior to a Shindo and I generally prefer active preamps, but with this particular, difficulty to match up, amp I prefer it.

It was fun playing around with this buffer and my only gripe over the week I sent with it is that the battery died once mid listening session.

Other than that the kit is a screaming value and I am contemplating purchasing a Dodd of own.  An inexpensive option compared to shindo. 

TrungT

« Reply #1039 on: 15 Aug 2011, 11:57 am »
^^^^^
 :thumb:
"battery died once"
100AH battery will fix that problem  :wink: