Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #960 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:41 pm »
^^^^^
 :thumb:
Any picture?  :wink:

HT cOz

« Reply #961 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:01 pm »
I finally got my buffer up and running, parts been on the shelf for a couple of months while I deal with life.
I find the buffer a real eye/ear opener.  How can such a simple device sound so good.  But I have also been listening to the WarpSpeed LDR attenuator.  Which has presented me with the purist sound I have ever heard in my system. So the obvious question is to combine them both.  Has any one done this?
I am using two 7ah SLA's in parallel with 15000uf cap for power   

That is an interesting proposition!!! 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #962 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:23 pm »
I've been impressed by a couple of the DIY battery enclosures I've seen on this thread. Lacking real woodworking skills

The good news is you don't need woodworking skills.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90845.0

mikeeastman

« Reply #963 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:22 am »
I'm going to get a PI Audio buss for my system and wanted to know what the max voltage that a Dodd buffer can handle. I'm building a class d amp and buffer on the same chassis,the class d's will be running off 15 volts,will that be to high for the buffer?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #964 on: 15 Jun 2011, 03:02 pm »
Why not just stick to 12 volts for the buffer and class d amp like others have done?

pelliott321

« Reply #965 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:41 pm »
TrungT
everything is just breadboarded at this point.
I am going to try to combine the warpspeed and dodd this weekend maybe some pictures if it does not look to bad

TrungT

« Reply #966 on: 15 Jun 2011, 08:06 pm »
^^^^^
Please let us know how it sound if the LS work out.

Mike - The relays on the Dodd buffer only rating at 12V relay, you may have to look up the spec. of the relay to find out what's the max voltage for it, the voltage Reg. should be fine if you use the 6V tube, can't use 12V tube at all if even the relays handle 15V.

mikeeastman

« Reply #967 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:28 pm »
Because  at 12volt I had to send two power supply back to Tom to adjust because they would only turn on if I had just charged my batteries. Also my understanding is they will sound better at higher voltage.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #968 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:48 pm »
If you hook up a CTEK smart charger it will always keep your batteries charged.

mikeeastman

« Reply #969 on: 16 Jun 2011, 12:10 am »
I will have a 200 amph battery bank and after I rewire to 24v and will be using solar to charge it, also I don't think the CTEK would work.

Trung: I'm not using the circuit board were I think the relay is, see pic of buffer and class d amp. If you see anything that doesn't look right please let me know. Thanks

TrungT

« Reply #970 on: 16 Jun 2011, 01:35 am »
Mike
Looking good, should work with 15V on that setup.
If you can snap a hi res. picture at the Sonicap and email me, I can double check to make sure.
 :thumb:

jtsnead

« Reply #971 on: 16 Jun 2011, 11:33 am »
Mike
Very cool build, I have a Dodd buffer into a dual mono sds-254 set up.

Will you be using an external pre for volume control?

mikeeastman

« Reply #972 on: 16 Jun 2011, 01:09 pm »
Trung here are a couple pics:

My system is Mac pro and Apogee Ensemble 8 channel Dac using the Spatial program which let me control the vol using  the I tunes to control the analog vol on the dac, all other pre function ,EQ etc are done on the Mac. I plan to build another buffer amp setup and bi amp my system, which is why I would prefer to only having one power cord feeding each amp and buffer as I would like to put them in the speakers.

Mike

pelliott321

« Reply #973 on: 5 Jul 2011, 03:44 pm »
I recently replaced the stock pot in the dodd buffer kit with an LDR from Warpspeed.  The improvement in sound was very obvious.  I did have a problem with the stock JJ ECC803. The sound became distorted when I was playing at max volume.  This distortion disappeared went I substituted a Russian 6N1P and switched to 6v operation.
Any guesses to why the 12 volt tube distorted and the 6v did not? 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #974 on: 5 Jul 2011, 04:41 pm »
Any more info on the LDR from Warpspeed?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #975 on: 5 Jul 2011, 05:05 pm »
Any more info on the LDR from Warpspeed?
I've been looking at it.  It has been getting a LOT of great press.

Dave

TomS

« Reply #976 on: 5 Jul 2011, 05:11 pm »
You might have a chat with Uriah Dailey as I think he is somewhere in Texas. His flavor is called "Ligher Note".

http://www.buildanamp.com/addtocart.sc?productId=14&quantity=1

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/DIY-Lightspeed-Passive-Attenuator/

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #977 on: 5 Jul 2011, 05:25 pm »
You might have a chat with Uriah Dailey as I think he is somewhere in Texas. His flavor is called "Ligher Note".

http://www.buildanamp.com/addtocart.sc?productId=14&quantity=1

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/DIY-Lightspeed-Passive-Attenuator/
AWESOME!!!

Thanks, Tom.

Dave

TomS

« Reply #978 on: 5 Jul 2011, 05:33 pm »
These should work great if properly buffered with a unity gain stage. There are other ones out there using jfet buffers, but the Dodd battery tube should be a nice match too. Lots of quirks to be aware of though, such as they don't quite fully mute at full minimum, differences in linearity, etc. In theory it beats a set of wiping contacts any day.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #979 on: 5 Jul 2011, 05:41 pm »
These should work great if properly buffered with a unity gain stage. There are other ones out there using jfet buffers, but the Dodd battery tube should be a nice match too. Lots of quirks to be aware of though, such as they don't quite fully mute at full minimum, differences in linearity, etc. In theory it beats a set of wiping contacts any day.
Well, we'll see (hear).  I just ordered the board and matched LDRs.  It'll work great in the Buffer, I'm sure.

Thanks for the find. :thumb:

Dave