Gary-

Anymore thought into a tube amp kit?   :D

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #463 on: 26 May 2010, 06:57 pm »
Praedet -

That looks nice.

Did you get the plans for building the diy cables online?

As for photos, next time open each one in paint first, resize to 50%, and save as a .jpg. Then upload the resized photo, it will still look good, but not be huge.

praedet

« Reply #464 on: 26 May 2010, 08:00 pm »
Praedet -

That looks nice.

Did you get the plans for building the diy cables online?

As for photos, next time open each one in paint first, resize to 50%, and save as a .jpg. Then upload the resized photo, it will still look good, but not be huge.
I did get the cable plans online.  They are the VH Audio Silver DIY Interconnects.

I should have done a resize, I am just used to the forum software automatically handling it like it does at the other forum I frequently use :(

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #465 on: 26 May 2010, 09:19 pm »
Jason, I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin! :scratch: I want something in the 50 watt range on battery? :drool: :drool:
Gary

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #466 on: 26 May 2010, 09:21 pm »
Jason, I'm thinkin, I'm thinkin! :scratch: I want something in the 50 watt range on battery? :drool: :drool:
Gary

Just make sure they can drive my speakers.   :D  Yes on the  :drool:

I'll give you until RMAF.   :lol:

HT cOz

« Reply #467 on: 26 May 2010, 10:31 pm »
Gary this is a little OT, but what do you think of the ClassD amp/boards?  It seems like people were talking about you having an amp at the Dallas show.

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #468 on: 26 May 2010, 11:19 pm »
Personally I think they kick butt for what you pay and the performance is way beyond that! :thumb: I do believe that I will be selling a few of them for battery operation.
Gary

HT cOz

« Reply #469 on: 27 May 2010, 12:43 pm »
Gary

That would be killer  :green:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #470 on: 27 May 2010, 12:46 pm »
That would be killer  :green:

Yes it will!!!  Maybe if enough of us show interest, Gary will put it in top gear.   :green:

dem626

« Reply #471 on: 7 Jun 2010, 03:53 am »
Got my buffer up and running this weekend and I'm very happy with it already using the stock tube. Thanks Gary for making this kit available and to everyone who contributed on this thread.  It replaced a Transcendent Sound GGP in my setup. Right away I noticed more body and better bass.  Got some other tubes I'll try eventuallty.  Right now I just want to kick back and enjoy it.
Doug

TrungT

« Reply #472 on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:39 am »
Doug  :thumb:
I using JJ 6DJ8 and very please with it.
Please post few pictures.  :wink:

dem626

« Reply #473 on: 7 Jun 2010, 03:18 pm »
Doug  :thumb:
I using JJ 6DJ8 and very please with it.
Please post few pictures.  :wink:

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures during the build.  Probably not much new to show anyway.  I bought Gary's case, faceplate, and chrome knobs so the finished product looks just like the ones on doddaudio.com.  My internal wiring is a little messy but no one can see that. That's something I continue to struggle with.   Also, in spite of trying to follow the instructions carefully I installed one transistor on the remote transmitter and one IC on the remote receiver backwards.  After correcting those two errors it worked perfectly.

I'm interested in building a tube amp if Gary decides to offer a kit.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #474 on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:39 pm »
I have been taking a few pictures along the way.  The kit is wired, but stupidly, I didn't have a case in mind when I wired it, so I have excess wire length that I will have to go back and shorten.  In the meantime, this is where this project is currently. 

Just follow Gary's pictures and go slow.

I had to fix a screw up here.  I had soldered the pins backwards  :duh:, twice!  :duh: :duh:, and broke them getting them out the second time.  Super glue to the rescue.

The mesquite panels, including wormholes, are from my front pasture and cut out on a band saw.

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2010, 12:08 am by S Clark »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #475 on: 8 Jun 2010, 01:43 pm »
I'd like to hear more impressions from you guys that built these. Perhaps someone would write up a review for A$$A.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #476 on: 8 Jun 2010, 01:46 pm »
I'd like to hear more impressions from you guys that built these. Perhaps someone would write up a review for A$$A.

You might find this thread interesting http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75028.0  We were the first ones to experience sonic bliss.   :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #477 on: 8 Jun 2010, 07:03 pm »
Have my buffer running at this point!

USPS took out a corner of the front panel in shipping :(  Gary is making a new one. 

Once it arrives will take pictures of the purpleheart duo! :)

ebag4

« Reply #478 on: 11 Jun 2010, 03:08 pm »
As soon as I finished my V-1s I wanted to get my Dodd Buffer case finished.  It is now complete.  After I built the ClassD amp case Trung mentioned I should try a wood burner instead of just carving out the letters of the faceplate as I did with the ClassD unit, he was right!  It's not perfect but I like the "branded" look.  Of course by the time I bought the wood burner and some lettering stamps (for the small letters) I could have nearly paid to have it laser engraved here locally  :lol:.

Here are a few pics!

The buffer is sounding GREAT!  I want to try some other tubes in it but the 12 volt tube I am running now will run on a 5ah battery for at least 13 hours!

If you are on the fence about building a buffer JUST DO IT! :thumb:  You won't regret it.

Best,
Ed

TrungT

« Reply #479 on: 11 Jun 2010, 03:16 pm »
Ed
Looking good  :thumb:
 :wink:
You should not listen to me anyway
 :wink: