DIY Dodd Buffer

Stimpy

Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #1180 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:24 pm »
I've been reading this thread since the beginning; but, it has been quite some time since my last visit.  I just came back, to catch up on the latest Dodd posts, and to just refresh my memory on this buffer.  But, there appear to be more changes than I anticipated, leaving me a bit confused.   :o

Evidently, there have been site changes too, to the Dodd Audio web site, resulting in broken links throughout this thread.  This has made rereading this thread difficult.  Also, there seem to be a new, cheaper tube buffer that's available  But, I can't find much info on Gary's site about features and prices.  The old site was pretty good about pricing and options.  While the new site looks better, it doesn't seem to provide as much usable info (that I can find).  :duh:

So, now that I finally have a new home, and have space for both old and new gear, I don't know now how to research a new (Dodd) remote controlled tubed preamp.  The remote is a must, as well as being tubed based.  A DIY kit is nice too.  But, what's the best way to determine what's available, and pricing?  Can anyone help? :D

Thanks!  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1181 on: 1 Jan 2013, 04:51 pm »
Excellent questions.  I have a certain sympathy for Gary trying to navigate AC's policies regarding industry participants and his ever changing commercial status.  He started out as a very small cottage industry DIY'er offering a Cheap and Cheerful kit to interested parties.  That ballooned in interest to where he wasn't offering a DIY option and his product no longer qualified for the circle pricewise, but I let the thread stand for archival purposes.  From the website(s) it looks like the DIY option is back in play.  However there are now two active sites, http://www.doddaudio.com/Home.php and http://www.doddaudio.com/ with the first one giving prices for DIY options and the second only a picture.  I don't have any idea which one is correct, or if both are.

Gary would be restricted in posting any promotional items in this circle so answering questions about directing you to a particular website would be prohibited.  He can only answer direct questions about his products.  However if you called or emailed him and posted the response here yourself, that doesn't violate anything.  :wink:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #1182 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:14 pm »
I've been reading this thread since the beginning; but, it has been quite some time since my last visit.  I just came back, to catch up on the latest Dodd posts, and to just refresh my memory on this buffer.  But, there appear to be more changes than I anticipated, leaving me a bit confused.   :o

Evidently, there have been site changes too, to the Dodd Audio web site, resulting in broken links throughout this thread.  This has made rereading this thread difficult.  Also, there seem to be a new, cheaper tube buffer that's available  But, I can't find much info on Gary's site about features and prices.  The old site was pretty good about pricing and options.  While the new site looks better, it doesn't seem to provide as much usable info (that I can find).  :duh:

So, now that I finally have a new home, and have space for both old and new gear, I don't know now how to research a new (Dodd) remote controlled tubed preamp.  The remote is a must, as well as being tubed based.  A DIY kit is nice too.  But, what's the best way to determine what's available, and pricing?  Can anyone help? :D

Thanks!  :thumb:

I think his web site is going through some updating.

The simple solution to your questions is to simply give Gary a call and ask him. Looks like his phone number is listed on both of those sites.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1183 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:18 pm »
The buffer is no longer Cheap &  Cheerful though.  I see on the site it's $1595 and $2500 for the pre.   :o

There is so much stuff out there for that kind of money.  He seems to still offer some DIY stuff but it requires a chassis.  It adds up quick!  Don't forget you still need a battery & charger.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1184 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:31 pm »
The buffer is no longer Cheap &  Cheerful though.  I see on the site it's $1595 and $2500 for the pre.   :o

There is so much stuff out there for that kind of money.  He seems to still offer some DIY stuff but it requires a chassis.  It adds up quick!  Don't forget you still need a battery & charger.

The pre-amp listed for $2,500 is a new variable version. I am not sure if any other companies even make such a product. If they are then they are few and far between. And I don't think any company makes one that is battery powered.

And when looking for the best pre-amps on the market all cost aside, price no object, and comparing the best of the best. Then this stuff REALLY is cheap and cheerful. And you can still buy the kit for the buffer and build it yourself for just about nothing. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1185 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:34 pm »
The pre-amp listed for $2,500 is a new variable version. I am not sure if any other companies even make such a product. If they are then they are few and far between. And I don't think any company makes one that is battery powered.

And when looking for the best pre-amps on the market all cost aside, price no object, and comparing the best of the best. Then this stuff REALLY is cheap and cheerful. And you can still buy the kit for the buffer and build it yourself for just about nothing.

Gary would be restricted in posting any promotional items in this circle so answering questions about directing you to a particular website would be prohibited.  He can only answer direct questions about his products. 
Yeah but he has the best AC salesman on his side as seen above.   :roll:  It gets real old.

Stimpy

« Reply #1186 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:42 pm »
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the replies and the guidance.  And while I do have an email request in to Gary, for info concerning available DIY kits and pricing, I was hoping there was an easy answer available through AC customers here.  But, as I don't want to violate any rules concerning pricing, I'm more than happy to await Gary's reply.

Now, for those in the know, is the newer single input buffer still a winner!  As good sounding as expected?  While all my gear was in storage for several years, while building a new home, I listened to music through a tubed headphone amp, just to get by.  Now, I want to maintain that sound quality, in my home system; correct timber, resolution, speed, and a slight touch of tube warmth.  I'm not looking for syrup, just clarity.  I hope a Dodd buffer can help achieve this?

Thanks again,

Stimpy

mikeeastman

« Reply #1187 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:49 pm »
I have 3 Dodd tube buffers, 1 is a balanced version I use with my Ncore 400s monos, it sounds great.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1188 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:52 pm »
The single input buffer is the same circuit as the multi-input buffer.  It just does not have the switchable input board.  Normally comes with an nice stereo volume control.

You would need to contact Gary about the remote control system.  Should be simple to mate the two systems without the selector board.  I am sure Trung can help if needed as well.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1189 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:54 pm »
Yeah but he has the best AC salesman on his side as seen above.   :roll:  It gets real old.

Jason, what has gotten old to me is your constant negativity. You always seem to have something combative to say or a jab to make. I don't know what got your panties wadded up. I don't know if you are begrudging me because I didn't do back flips over your Ncore amps that I demo'ed. I don't know if it's a subjective verses objective camp deal that has you responding this way. I really don't know what your deal is. Maybe it would be best if you just told me what the real problem is rather than these constant little gabs.

Stimpy

« Reply #1190 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:56 pm »
It would definitely make things simpler if there were a Dodd Audio Sponsors Forum here at AC.  But,
that costs too.  Probably not cheap, especially for small, boutique companies...   :|

PMAT

« Reply #1191 on: 1 Jan 2013, 05:58 pm »

Nope, not getting old. We are free to follow any industry Guru we like. Knowledgeable advice is what people want when they are figuring out what item to invest in. What we do with that advice is our choice. BTW rolling ones eyes is so disrespectful.

jk@home

« Reply #1192 on: 1 Jan 2013, 06:24 pm »
...Now, I want to maintain that sound quality, in my home system; correct timber, resolution, speed, and a slight touch of tube warmth...

That's sounds like what the Dodds unit did for me. Improved performance over the basic passive pre I was using before,  due to an impedance mismatch. Lovin it.

Of course no one here can know how it will perform in your system, maybe you can request a loaner?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #1193 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm »
As far as rules go, no Stimpy, asking questions about a product that sells for under $400 doesn't violate any C&C pricing guidelines.  The guidelines are in place because the circle is special interest and we just have to draw a line somewhere, otherwise we're soon posting threads about about $2500 preamps because they're really such a deal.   :wink:  So you're just fine with your posts.

As for Danny posting here, the rules are clear, it's not his product, he can comment as he sees fit as long as it's within general site rules, which I don't think he has ever violated to my knowledge.  Yes Jason, you are correct, we all know (or at least most of us) that Danny and Gary have cooperated with each other both on his circle and outside of AC.  I don't have any problem with you pointing this out as long as we keep respectful, which you always do anyway. I don't have any problem with Danny and Gary cooperating with each other, it's his circle, he pays for it, and it's not against any rules that I'm aware of. 

However as we can witness here, off topic backbiting doesn't lead to anywhere good, so both of you guys can stop now please and thank you.  You're not wrong in being frustrated, it's just counterproductive. 

face

« Reply #1194 on: 2 Jan 2013, 08:58 am »
I have 3 Dodd tube buffers, 1 is a balanced version I use with my Ncore 400s monos, it sounds great.
I'm also using a balanced version with a pair of W4S monos...talk about a huge soundstage!

juanitox

« Reply #1195 on: 18 Jan 2013, 06:44 am »
 :D hi everybody i have just ordered a dodd buffer KIT to go as output stage of a Dac with a warpspeed volume control .   can i use the same 12V regulated power supply is use with my warp speed ?  or is it really important to use battery?

second question ,  if i use my warp speed in front of the buffer what will be the impedance seen by the output dac assuming that the warpspeed is like a 10K volume pot..

thanks

jk@home

« Reply #1196 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:07 pm »
Can't help you with the first one, but the input impedance of the buffer is 100 kOhms, no matter what tube you use. Also take note that the heatsink puts out quite a bit of heat (and the tube, to a lesser extent). From what I have read, the opticouple units can be affected by this? If so, plan accordingly.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #1197 on: 18 Jan 2013, 01:43 pm »
Hi.

Gary would be restricted in posting any promotional items in this circle so answering questions about directing you to a particular website would be prohibited.  He can only answer direct questions about his products.  [/quote]

That's the proper way to run a public Nonprofitable forum where commercials SHOULD be prohibited.

In another major audio forum, NO commercial related posters, e.g. audio manufacturers, their reps, dealerships, delegates, even site sponsors are permitted to post their product-related information in the entire forum. Simply to make sure the forum is strictly for audio hobbyists.

Keep on your good work!

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #1198 on: 18 Jan 2013, 02:17 pm »
Hi.

USD2,500 a so-called zero-gain buffer is NOT cheap at all - from any DIYers' viewpoint.

If one fancies so much about "battery powered" no-gain buffer, why not read how I can build a similar one - dirt cheap.

I can build one one-stage active buffer technically very similar to any tube cathode follower (which I think the Dodd Buffer employed the same topology) - with very high I/P imedance & low low O/P impedance.  9V battery powered!!!!!

It will cost me a few bucks on a very few parts plus a few bucks on a small plastic equipment box.

Take a guess how can I achieve that!

How about I sell you one for $500???? :wink:

c-J

PS:  In fact, I am now design-building one to interface my active 100W 10" subwoofer with my passive
stereo linestage. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1199 on: 18 Jan 2013, 02:32 pm »
The new Dodd battery preamp that Danny is describing has variable voltage gain, it is not a buffer.

Gary's battery powered tube buffer kit was $300.