Best way to save money on audio is to find a new interest... I did.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
007 Limited Shag edition?

No, that model was almost quaint compared to Austin's modern examples.  They did eliminate the ejection seat though, too many blondes asking what's that button for while pushing it.

Stu Pitt

No, that model was almost quaint compared to Austin's modern examples.  They did eliminate the ejection seat though, too many blondes asking what's that button for while pushing it.
You realize he’s making Austin Powers references, right? You’re calling the car an “Austin Martin” instead of an Aston Martin.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Back in the day when I was younger the car system was a must. All Nakamichi amps, crossover Polk and Infinity speakers built in. Cassettes were the thing back then. 1983 was the year. Since the systems that comes in the new cars today are so good no need for me any longer. Then I heard Berning makes or made tubed car audio amps. Hey Lawrence Welk had a TT in his car.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
  Back in the day when I was younger the car system was a must. All Nakamichi amps, crossover Polk and Infinity speakers built in. Cassettes were the thing back then. 1983 was the year. Since the systems that comes in the new cars today are so good no need for me any longer. Then I heard Berning makes or made tubed car audio amps. Hey Lawrence Welk had a TT in his car.

charles
I have a friend with a tube setup in his car.  Out of this world.  Poor guy has to spend a part of his day listening to it.
Alan

Stu Pitt

charles
The car manufacturers have smartened up somewhat with their factory systems. It’s getting a lot more difficult to use an aftermarket head unit because they’re tying more and more controls to the stereo system. Stuff like climate control, back up cameras and so on are controlled by the “head unit.”

I just bought a 2007 Volvo S40. I really, really wanted Apple Car Play. Can’t do it. Actually, I could, but it would be a nightmare. And I’d lose several programmable options.

PDR

• May the best man win
I've left the scene for a while as well....Too much.....much.
I've other hobbies that keep me busy.....Arabian horses are a
family passion and we have a small boarding stable that keeps us hopping.

$1600.....If you were Canadian I'd guess Cannabis cultivation.... :wink:
Keeps me busy these days..... :thumb:

Tom Bombadil

Many hobbies / interest are even more expensive than audio!

Wind Chaser

$1600.....If you were Canadian I'd guess Cannabis cultivation.... :wink:
Keeps me busy these days..... :thumb:

Kept me busy last summer, quite surprised with the result of my novice effort. Quite the system tweak.  :D

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
You realize he’s making Austin Powers references, right? You’re calling the car an “Austin Martin” instead of an Aston Martin.

No, my misspelling went right over my head, duh.  I should be so lucky if that were my only faux pas.  And I've never watched an Austin Powers movie in my life.  I've tried to a couple of times and can't get through more than a couple of minutes before diving for the remote to end the agony.

veloceleste

I've left the scene for a while as well....Too much.....much.
I've other hobbies that keep me busy.....Arabian horses are a
family passion and we have a small boarding stable that keeps us hopping.
So you currently a neigh sayer to audio?

Couldn't resist. Im losing my filters and I'm running for the door now....

BobM

Take up Pickleball, then you can spend your money on an orthopedist to fix your knees.  :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I love vintage sticker albums  :thumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXha8XGb0RU

Folsom

New hobbies rob money from my record buying.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I think an audiophile to a car is more like a exotic or sport car enthusiast. Even used $4000 Honda get juiced up with shocks/springs (also lowering) wheels engine bits exhaust.. Like a college student might buy a used but good old kit and work on it/ I had to chuckle at the landau roof notion.
My car is a hot hatch six speed manual transmission. 250+hp 153mph top speed .. 235/40/18 wheels and Z rated HD tires for 186mph (the HD rating tires are to withstand the cornering loads... A separate set for Winter duty also Z rated snowflake symbol Autobahn type means I can take right angle freeway curves at 90mph .. City corners at 35mph ... easy, even when it is 20F outside.. (as long as the road is dry... yup.. just to mention this is not the tire screeching car sliding tilted notion. This is flat even body,no tilt, just tracking the corner, no fuss. no noise.. like any modern high performance suspension can do)
The base car just like mine cost $13,000 new. Mine cost $33000. I guess it has a few bits added. The top of the line was $44,000. Same body.. just to mention. (Focus RS) This is more like what being an audiophile is.. Wanting the best performance one can afford.

TrungT

BobM
0-0-2
 :thumb:

OzarkTom

New hobbies rob money from my record buying.

Not if you treasure hunt. :thumb:

A friend of mine found a KGC treasure that is probably worth millions, but when he started to dig, someone shot a gun in the air. These KGC treasures were buried during the Civil War.

Folsom

Fuck trying to find treasure LP's. That shit never happens. You'll spend your whole life trying to find something, it's pointless. If you want to see lots of records open a record store and start buying collections you might find something special. There is no other way to find truly good and rare stuff than to have people seek you out. If you stop at a thrift store or something and find an ok LP that's cool. If you try to see them all so you never miss a "treasure" you'll have 2nd & 3rd job and probably get nothing.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
You'll spend your whole life trying to find something, it's pointless.
Well// if you actually DID spend your whole life chasing records.. then back in the mid 1990's to at least 2007 or so you had a great time!!!
Record collections were being sold off and the used market was full of great used LPs at dirt cheap prices, in great condition too.
I bought THOUSANDS for ten cents, twenty cents each from Half Price Books. Over 2000 of the BEST Jazz from a local dealer at rock bottom prices and in VG+ condition.
So timing has a LOT to do with it.
Trying to buy now? I laugh...

mick wolfe

There came a time when I realized constantly throwing money at this hobby resulted in "sideways" moves more often than not. Looked around and realized there were a lot of areas in my house and yard that could be updated and improved. This might be defined as an investment that could even yield a return.  Within the last few years I've added a covered patio, new kitchen appliances and had the house painted. If I'd have spent that money on audio, I doubt if I'd be any more satisfied with my system than I am now.