Topping

2channelman

• Greetings Fellow Water Buffalo.
Topping
« on: 8 Dec 2019, 12:12 am »
I was wondering if any of our members just happened to own or have heard the new Topping D50s DAC with the matching Topping P50 power supply. I have watched a couple of YouGoob videos and read reviews just wanted more thoughts from owners if possible. They do seem like a great deal on paper.

wushuliu

Re: Topping
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2019, 08:11 am »
I'm pretty sure I've commented on the original D50. The D50s doesn't appear to be any different other than the removal of the ESS 'hump', which was a solution in search of a problem since I'm not aware of anyone who could audibly hear what the hump contributed in the zillion ESS dacs that have it.

IIRC it sounds more or less like any other cookie cutter es90x8q2m Dac, which is to say, 'fine'. The power supply appears to be a basic linear one. I'd rather get one of the cheaper Ebay ones but that's just me. For the price of both I would just spend the extra $100 and get the Sabaj D5 which is in another league altogether. Or if you want to expand beyond the Delta Sigma world, the Schiit Modi Multibit.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2019, 04:42 pm »
I think wushuliu is correct that for a C note more you get the D5 with a better chip and balanced topography.  I don't notice the dreaded mid-range hump on my ESS DAC either.  I've been researching some desktop C&C dacs with headphone outs and the sweet spot for that seems to be the Topping DX3 Pro with a pair of midrange AK dacs and a powerful headphone chip, all for $220.  If you don't need or want the headphone amp the D30 is rated highly.  There are others of course, I'm staying withing the op's Topping theme.  Anyone with experience in these as well as the D50 would be encouraged to post.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2019, 06:12 pm »
Anyone compare Topping with SMSL?

Just offhand, it would seem to be that they are more or less equivalent.  :scratch: I have the SMSL SA50 amp and I'm impressed.

There's a discussion about that here.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/topping-d50-vs-schiit-modi-multibit-vs-topping-d30-vs-smsl-m8a-dac.801676/

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2019, 10:35 pm »
Anyone compare Topping with SMSL?

Yes. I'm sure I've posted comparisons through my different DAC threads. They both have a lot of models so we need to specify. I have only listened to primarily the ESS-based versions. They sound more or less the same. I'm not so into AKM-based dacs so can't comment on those. For whatever reason the Sabaj brand is the one that has stood out from the rest of the chi-fi crowd with their DA3 and D5 dacs, which I've spoken about at length.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2019, 12:25 am »
Yes. I'm sure I've posted comparisons through my different DAC threads. They both have a lot of models so we need to specify. I have only listened to primarily the ESS-based versions.

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about all the models and comparisons!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2019, 02:14 am »
I have the Topping D70 dac as well as a SMSL SU-8 dac. Although I'd be hard pressed to say I hear much difference between them, I seem to use the D70 quite a bit more. I needed the balanced output which is why I bought these two. Bought both of them on the used market, so very inexpensive.

It's been a while since I had the SMSL in my system, maybe it's time to listen to it again.

viggen

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2020, 11:51 pm »
I wanted to get the D70 since it came out but didn't really need another dac.  But, with a baby coming, now I am wanting to downsize and saw the D50 came out with the S variant that adds BT so jumped on it.  D70 came out with a S variant too and really wanted it because I never liked an ESS dac before and like what I read about AKM chips but decided to stay with D50s because I can power it with a battery bank.  Think powering it with a $20 battery bank will beat any PSU/Powercord combo.  Now, using my phone as source via BT, the D50s is very listenable.

skrstc

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2020, 10:22 am »