Need advice and info on streaming.

witchdoctor

Re: Need advice and info on streaming.
« Reply #40 on: 19 Feb 2019, 08:12 pm »
can anyone compare the sound quality of the klipsch to using an amazon echo for streaming?

Hi, the Gate is a streamer and is in a different category than the Echo. If you want an audiophile version of the Echo that you can use on your network with the Gate and other DTS Play-Fi products there are 3 speakers with Alexa features I am aware of. One by Phorus, another by Pioneer and another by Onkyo. The Phorus PS 10 has been marked down from $250 to $80 on Amazon, here is a review:

https://www.ecoustics.com/products/phorus-ps10-alexa-wireless-speaker/

witchdoctor

« Reply #41 on: 19 Feb 2019, 08:16 pm »
Here is another one from Pioneer:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Smart+Speaker/

Here is the announcement of Alexa and Play-Fi. You can actually tell the speaker or the Gate what to play.

https://play-fi.com/news/dts-play-fi-expands-works-with-alexa-availability-to-new-regions

chrshanl

« Reply #42 on: 19 Feb 2019, 10:06 pm »
Gates up and running. Initial impressions after just few hours of listening....the Gate sounds better to me than the Node 2i. Bass is less exaggerated. I will have to give it some more time but very happy with this little streamer so far. I should also mention the user interface is better to me than the Bluos. Thanks for the recomendation witchdoctor!

annamarykahn

« Reply #43 on: 19 Feb 2019, 10:45 pm »
so, which sounds better, streaming through an echo or gate ... to an amp?

witchdoctor

« Reply #44 on: 19 Feb 2019, 10:55 pm »
so, which sounds better, streaming through an echo or gate ... to an amp?

Through the Gate, to an amp for sure.

witchdoctor

« Reply #45 on: 19 Feb 2019, 10:58 pm »
Gates up and running. Initial impressions after just few hours of listening....the Gate sounds better to me than the Node 2i. Bass is less exaggerated. I will have to give it some more time but very happy with this little streamer so far. I should also mention the user interface is better to me than the Bluos. Thanks for the recomendation witchdoctor!

Congrats! I really like the interface too, look forward to your impressions. I know what you mean about the bass.

chrshanl

« Reply #46 on: 19 Feb 2019, 11:09 pm »
The price is so cheap many wouldn’t take it serious. I have been building a system for a small room around the node 2i a pair of Proac Studio 3’s and had also purchased some integrateds to audition but could’nt get the bass to sound right. Eventually I decided to sell everything and switch to small active speakers....I am now re-thinking that decision!

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #47 on: 19 Feb 2019, 11:34 pm »
I just got the Gate today . It will not let me do the critical listening . When I click on the Orange hires emblem for Family room (where the gate is setup) turns black and clicking on Family room gets me a "device not compatible " message . Have googled a lot on the critical listening and can't seem to find anyone else with this problem . Any ideas ?

witchdoctor

« Reply #48 on: 20 Feb 2019, 12:59 am »
I just got the Gate today . It will not let me do the critical listening . When I click on the Orange hires emblem for Family room (where the gate is setup) turns black and clicking on Family room gets me a "device not compatible " message . Have googled a lot on the critical listening and can't seem to find anyone else with this problem . Any ideas ?

Watch the video below at the 5:30 mark on how to stream in critical listening mode. If that doesn't work please post what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNTCHKiong

Bsmooth

• Bruce or Bsmooth
« Reply #49 on: 20 Feb 2019, 01:08 am »
I was wondering about the critical listening mode as well, I get the same device not compatible. Isn't the critical listening mode only for higher resolution files? Maybe If the music streaming isn't high res, you get the device not compatible? Just a thought.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2019, 01:45 am »
I think I have it figured out . I found out Quboz had choices to make to get higher Rez on their android ap. I did not have to do this on my desktop version of quboz .

Cacophonix

« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2019, 04:56 pm »
Can you stream from your personal music server with Gate?

skifasterslc

« Reply #52 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:18 pm »
I am interested in the gate, but have a simple question that is bugging me...... Since this has a 3.5 line out (not a left and right channel out ) how do I connect it to my pre amp to integrate into my system???? I have a emotiva DC-1 with RCA Left right input
I would prefer digital out, but is see that is not an option. 
Thx in advance

Cacophonix

« Reply #53 on: 20 Feb 2019, 05:28 pm »
I think that question was answered earlier .. you need a 1/8" to RCA splitter.
Something like this -
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMR-206-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O33

lacro

« Reply #54 on: 20 Feb 2019, 09:31 pm »
'nother way:

srb

« Reply #55 on: 20 Feb 2019, 09:54 pm »
If I have the option, my choice is an 1/8"/3.5mm to RCA cable rather than use an adapter.  This way it avoids one additional plug to jack connection in the line.

The difference might be small when using good quality connectors and adapters, but could be more substantial when using lower quality parts.

witchdoctor

« Reply #56 on: 20 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm »
Can you stream from your personal music server with Gate?

Yes, you can connect to your server on the network very easily within the play-fi app.

witchdoctor

« Reply #57 on: 20 Feb 2019, 10:42 pm »
I am interested in the gate, but have a simple question that is bugging me...... Since this has a 3.5 line out (not a left and right channel out ) how do I connect it to my pre amp to integrate into my system???? I have a emotiva DC-1 with RCA Left right input
I would prefer digital out, but is see that is not an option. 
Thx in advance

If you want to get a streamer with a digital out within the Play-Fi ecosystem there are a few others besides the Gate that have digital connections. Check out streamers/pre-amps from Arcam, Paradigm, DefTech, Polk, Martin Logan and Mcintosh. The Gate's SQ is very good if you want to use it's internal Burr Brown DAC and a 3.5 mm to RCA cable/adapter:

https://play-fi.com/products/

Brettio

« Reply #58 on: 21 Feb 2019, 02:04 am »
I just hooked up my Gate and it completely surpasses my expectations (both in sound and ease of set up)!  I didn’t spend much time trying but I couldn’t hook up through my CD player so I just removed the CDP from the system.  I don’t think I’ll miss it and my wife loves my stereo rack now that the player and stacks of CD’s have been replaced with flowers and figurines!

Thank you again witchdoctor, I could only dream of having this kind of convienence and great sound before you helped me/us.

Brett

witchdoctor

« Reply #59 on: 21 Feb 2019, 04:19 am »
Congrats Brettio! I have been able to stream CD's all over the house, whether redbook or hirez. Use another of the same type of rca to 3.5 mm cable. Connect the RCA out on your CDP to the "line in" on the Gate. Once connected use the app to play the CDP through the Gate. Instructions on the "line in" feature are at the 6:20 mark on the video below. The first time I was able to stream a CD in one room and hear it in other rooms through the Play-Fi network was fun. You can use just one CD player for the whole house. Here is the video:

https://play-fi.com/products/