X-Static plus....? - 7297? + cheap tube line stage?

madsry

After talking with Danny multiple times, I'm nearly certain that an X-Static kit will be headed my way sooner than later.  Before I order though, I'd like to have a pretty good idea of what my amp/preamp will look like (and need to get familiar with some inexpensive DAC options too).

The 7297 kits, along with a tube front end seem to have good support/endorsement, but open to other/newer standout options.  With cost being an unfortunately large factor, what's the least expensive way to get started with a good digital amp along with a tube (I'm open to solid state too) preamp/line stage?

My aesthetic requirements are zero, just looking to knock down the best performing system that I can for what feels like a ridiculously low budget.  I keep reading about how well some of these uber budget components can sound, so looking for advice on a complete little setup.  This will also be my first foray into the digital amp world...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: X-Static plus....? - 7297? + cheap tube line stage?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2018, 01:44 pm »
The 7297 anps are as good as it gets for performance/price... and they provide enough power for the X-Static.  I run this very combination in one of my rooms and have no reason to upgrade. 
I use Folsom's version of the amp, and a Dodd battery preamp.  You could try one of the ebay kit tube preamps to save $$. 
Good luck with your purchase.  You are in for excellent quality for not a whole lot of bucks. 

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2018, 04:04 pm »
The other nite I brought my X-statiks into play with my Musical paradise 401 ($600CAD, 20w)
They were paired with my GR servos (not so cheap)....

Still amazed how good this under $1K US....cept subs....sounds.

Plan on using subs with the X-statiks ?

madsry

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2018, 05:55 pm »
I'm definitely planning on subwoofers at some point.  I have a sealed Shiva that's never been completed and might try to find a cheap plate amp to power that up for now.  The ultimate plan is try a 3-pack of the servo subs, or maybe even 3 per side.  If I'm honest, I'm a little bit of a bass head who's lived without thus far...

Speaking of bass, what the simple solution for getting a line out to a sub?  Are guys with simple pres or volume controls not typically using subs?

shadowlight

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2018, 08:28 pm »
If you have the pre with multiple outputs you can go directly from the pre out to rca in on the sub plate amp.  I will let the more knowledgeable folks respond on the best way to integrate using speaker level connection.