Pioneer 563A Universal disc player

sheadlee

« on: 22 Apr 2004, 05:55 pm »
Hi, Guys!

I've noticed at least a couple of you mention that you have had mods done to your player. Could you provide a bit more information concerning the mods you had done, what improvements were realized, approximate cost, etc.

I've got a stock unit, and now I am curious.

Thanks for your help/feedback.

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2004, 06:41 pm »
I don't know of anyone in the NC Circle that has actually gotten a modified player.  Tim/Inscrutable and myself ordered players from Alex at APL but haven't received them.  In fact, I'll be cancelling my order because I've decided I want a tubed player.  Alex is supposed to come out with that mod later... so, it may not be a complete cancellation... just a change...

Anyway, I do have an older model Pioneer, 656a that had transport mods done by Dan Wright.  The main improvement was a signifigant increase in detail resolution.  I love it.  It's good enough on its own to not need a DAC anymore.  I'd say it would best everything up to the 500 USD range... and compete with many players up to 1000.  Also, I have an unmodified Pioneer 444 that has been through 3 moves and has never had a single problem... knock knock.. So, durability, modability, and excellent musical quality... great products.

-Carl