spatial and schiit

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
spatial and schiit
« on: 5 Feb 2021, 10:54 pm »
did a search of the circle for "schiit" and there are a number of mentions but only one or several direct reports.  anyone who has heard spatials powered by schiit electonics, do you care to comment on the sound and whether there seems to be any notable synergy.

thanks!

JuleZ3C

Re: spatial and schiit
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2021, 11:33 pm »
You may have read me already...

I've now received Nelson Pass new crossover kit and built only the input buffers so as to benefit from a 4 way JFET attenuator, then separated the filters sections of the M3TS so that I could use and match both Vidar and Aegir connected to the lowpass and highpass filter section (respectively) of each M3's

It's been 4 months of bliss now, the result is miles above my previous iteration (electronic crossover hackjob on a breadboard) or monoamping and I don't feel like the new Bifrost (since March) added much in comparison.

So... to try and answer you, I feel a good synergy exists when biamping the M3TS with both Schiit power amps.
Best of both 'previous' worlds really : better bass than when using the highs exquisite Aegir alone (sooo much better (even deeper and more articulate than with Vidar monoamping)) and better bass/mids/highs than when using the powerful Vidar alone, really ridiculously so... as in don't waste money on a Vidar if you have (really) efficient speakers and get an Aegir instead :)

I expect Aegir to excel on the X3 / X5, would love to hear it (or read about it at least).
Biamping the M3 Sapphires with Vidar/Aegir should also produce excellent results (caveat: Sapphire's Peerless tweeter appears to be 90dB/W...)

Downtheline

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2021, 05:58 am »
I'm using mono aegirs with my m5 sapphires. The aegirs replaced a benchmark ahb2.  I am very happy with the textures, tones and midrange articulation. Air is excellent, as it was on the ahb2. I lost some leading edge impact or dynamics, but made up for it with a recent improvement in streamer os and power supply. Sound stage depth is improved. 

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2021, 01:46 pm »
I'm using mono aegirs with my m5 sapphires. The aegirs replaced a benchmark ahb2.  I am very happy with the textures, tones and midrange articulation. Air is excellent, as it was on the ahb2. I lost some leading edge impact or dynamics, but made up for it with a recent improvement in streamer os and power supply. Sound stage depth is improved.

thanks #downtheline.  sounds like you like both benchmark and schiit amps about equally on your spatials, right? 

Downtheline

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2021, 12:42 am »
sounds like you like both benchmark and schiit amps about equally on your spatials, right?

Actually I probably won't go back to the benchmark. I really like the added midrange tonality of the aegirs.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2021, 02:24 am »
Actually I probably won't go back to the benchmark. I really like the added midrange tonality of the aegirs.

cool.  are aegirs convertable b/w stereo and mono, or are yours dedicated mono?

Downtheline

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2021, 07:12 pm »
Rca for stereo, xlr for mono

Downtheline

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2021, 05:20 pm »
I lost some leading edge impact or dynamics, but made up for it with a recent improvement in streamer os and power supply. Sound stage depth is improved.

I just wanted to give an update, I took the aegirs off the ps audio p12 regenerator and plugged them into the wall.... much better leading edge impact now. I think the regenerator holds these back in a way the ahb2 was not affected. The m5 sapphires keep scaling with each improvement in the chain!

Shredder

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2021, 01:17 pm »
Anyone have experience with a Schiit Ragnarok powering Spatials?

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2021, 04:33 pm »
Anyone have experience with a Schiit Ragnarok powering Spatials?

I use a Schiit Ragnarok Gen 1 to drive my M3 Sapphires.  The M3 Sapphires are easily and comfortably driven cleanly to levels louder than I can stand with the Ragnarok with plenty of rich powerful bass.  I think they sound excellent and when my Dad heard them he was not sure if I could improve that much with an amp upgrade.  I have thought about upgrading because I am always trying to improve my system as a habit.  However I may just upgrade to the Ragnarok 2 and stop there.  The Ragnarok is less sterile sounding than other SS amps and I believe the Ragnarok 2 would be even better in this regard.  The Ragnarok gen 1 is a forward sounding amp with any speaker and the Ragnarok 2 is supposed to be less forward with a deeper stage.  Seems like the Ragnarok 2 would be as good or perhaps better match with the M3 Sapphires than the gen 1 model and the ergonomic improvements of the Ragnarok 2 may be worth it alone to me (e.g. now has nice remote).  My Ragnarok is excellent with Headphones as well.  I have a pair of Senn HD800S that I plugg balanced into my Ragnarok and with the Yggdrasil Dac.  It is endgame sound quality on headphones at least for me.  And I own other pricy headphone amps.  The fact that I can use my DAC and Turntable with my main speaker and headphone amp is a big plus for me.  I do not think you could do better than the Ragnarok 2 for less than $2000 or more for Spatials. 

Shredder

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2021, 04:58 pm »
Very helpful, thanks.

Ripwny

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2022, 10:00 pm »
Just posted the same info in another thread, but I have the Rag2 hooked up to the M3s. I am shortly moving on because that's what we do, just shuffle the gear around endlessly (lol) but I could be forever content with the experience I'm getting from the Rag2 / M3s. I just am ready to experiment with some different amps :)

soundapprentice

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2022, 07:25 pm »
I have the Modius DAC, Freya+ preamp, and Vidar amp. I also have the Benchmark HPA4 and AHB2. I personally prefer my Benchmark gear over the Schiit stuff, but both brands play well with my Spatial M4.