Another Great Engine from Suzuki

Rclark

Re: Another Great Engine from Suzuki
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:18 am »
Rclark, I have a low-miles (< 11,000) 1998 VFR800 for you in NJ if you are interested.

-Mike

Oh very possibly. If you still have it around may-June, I'll hit you up. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Rclark

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:27 am »
Love the exhaust note of the vfr  :o especially aftermarket, it doesn't get much better than that sound for sportbikes. And i love the saddlebags and less racey seating, yet it is still a sport machine. I have to research more on reliability.

I also think a 919 would be pretty hot, or even a 599.

my dream machines are the new VFR1200, like a hovership from space, so high tech, and the Triumph Thunderbird sport cruiser, big power and gsxr derived handling in a cruiser package.

im thinking equal parts comfort, performance, practicality with this bike. ducati scares me with maintenance and reliability, especially older ones.

But if i found a nice s2r1000 I would jump on it.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #42 on: 23 Jan 2012, 01:50 am »
Love the exhaust note of the vfr  :o especially aftermarket, it doesn't get much better than that sound for sportbikes. And i love the saddlebags and less racey seating, yet it is still a sport machine. I have to research more on reliability.

I also think a 919 would be pretty hot, or even a 599.

my dream machines are the new VFR1200, like a hovership from space, so high tech, and the Triumph Thunderbird sport cruiser, big power and gsxr derived handling in a cruiser package.

im thinking equal parts comfort, performance, practicality with this bike. ducati scares me with maintenance and reliability, especially older ones.

But if i found a nice s2r1000 I would jump on it.
i sat on a vfr1200 last week at the local bike show - what a heavy fat pig of a bike.  even my ex brother-in-law who was w/me thought so.  and he loves his '99 vfr800.  which i will be checking out soon.   8)  and, if you think the vfr's sound nice, you haven't heard enough air-cooled desmo ducati's...   :green:  no worries about maintenance/reliability on the mid-90's ducs; they are quite reliable.  i would not suggest something like my wintage '78 ducati darmah, tho, if you are wanting a daily ride.   :lol:  actually, it's not too bad, but some parts are getting a bit scarce...

regarding the triumph's, i fell in love w/the thruxton.  even tho no v-engine...  absolutely beautiful bike, and nice riding position - sporty but not too bent over...

another show stopper was the moto-guzzi v7 racer

however, if i were going to be looking for a more expensive (ie: >$5k) or new(er) bike, my short list would include the ducati hypermotard, ducati gt1000, ducati sport classic, husqvarna sm630, aprilia sxv550 & dorsoduro, ktm 690 duke/690 smr, and... ?   :green:

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:24 am »
I love the Thruxton's, the Sport 1000's, the Moto Guzzi, etc. The problem with those bikes... is they look racy and when you sit on them, it's a racy feel, but any Japanese 600 would eviscerate them for the same money, a used cbr600 would make a Thruxton look like it's dragging a boulder, which defeats the purpose of the racy look and seat. They're a fashion statement.

If I were going to buy a retro bike, it would probably be the Triumph Bonneville, because it is just a beautiful, practical old style standard, it doesn't try to mean mug with its 60 horsepower, it knows its place.

Hell I should just get a Bonneville. I love those things.

Any Triumph would have to be used otherwise there is like an unavoidable HUGE markup from retail just for the shipping and setup cost, way more than other brands. Triumph lures you in with low retail prices on the website but if you're in America and go to the dealer, at least here on the west coast, prepare for hidden sticker shock. We're talking a few grand over retail.

Note: the VFR1200 is supposedly completely composed when underway and has great handling. With all those computers at work, the ABS, traction control, on the fly suspension settings, and the ability to sport ride with two up and luggage, comfortably, long distance. It's the way I'd prefer to cross the country one day.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #44 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:26 pm »
I love the Thruxton's, the Sport 1000's, the Moto Guzzi, etc. The problem with those bikes... is they look racy and when you sit on them, it's a racy feel, but any Japanese 600 would eviscerate them for the same money, a used cbr600 would make a Thruxton look like it's dragging a boulder, which defeats the purpose of the racy look and seat. They're a fashion statement.

If I were going to buy a retro bike, it would probably be the Triumph Bonneville, because it is just a beautiful, practical old style standard, it doesn't try to mean mug with its 60 horsepower, it knows its place.

Hell I should just get a Bonneville. I love those things.

Any Triumph would have to be used otherwise there is like an unavoidable HUGE markup from retail just for the shipping and setup cost, way more than other brands. Triumph lures you in with low retail prices on the website but if you're in America and go to the dealer, at least here on the west coast, prepare for hidden sticker shock. We're talking a few grand over retail.

Note: the VFR1200 is supposedly completely composed when underway and has great handling. With all those computers at work, the ABS, traction control, on the fly suspension settings, and the ability to sport ride with two up and luggage, comfortably, long distance. It's the way I'd prefer to cross the country one day.
i certainly understand the performance issue.  w/exception of the ducati, which will hang w/the japanese 600's, the others will certainly take a beating - on the track.  but, it's not all about racing on the track.  for street riding, all these bikes will haul holy ass, and make you smile while doing so.  and the twins (especially v-twins) have so much personality, being able to accelerate to 60mph in, say "only" 4.2s instead of 3.9s, really doesn't mean much - at least not to me.  hell, i have been having a total blast on my recently 'tarded suzuki dr650 thumper, and i am sure it takes almost 5 seconds for it to hit 60mph!   :green:

agreed the vfr1200 would be a good choice for transcontinental travel, even if i might choose something different.  in fact, i would likely choose the vfr800 over the 1200 - i would much rather lose the bit of engine performance in favor of saving 120lbs - i think 480 lbs is plenty heavy enough for a cross-country cruiser...  there's simply no attraction for me in any bike weighing over 500 lbs...

regarding the triumph thruxton vs bonny, i agree the bonny is a sweet looking machine, and i would be perfectly happy w/one.  but, since i would only end up replacing the bars and re-doing the footpegs to get to what, for me, is a more comfy riding position, i'd simply go w/the thruxton; after all, that's what it is - a bonny w/a more sporting riding position.  some folks may actually prefer the bonny as being more comfy...

but, i would still choose a ducati gt 1000 over the triumph - 100lbs less, 20hp more, and that 90 deg v-twin feel and sound are pretty hard to beat, imo...

pick your poison:  8)

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 25 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm »
Ooohhh the Sport 1000's are nice, I'd forgotten. Time to troll Cycletrader. Got a lot of time to mull it over. I'm actually going to take the MSF since it's been a good 6-7 years since I've ridden.

Something about the Bonneville though, so right.

The cool thing about bikes is there are SO MANY options.

And I understand the track vs street thing. My ***hole days are over, I don't see myself pushing performance envelopes like I used to. Getting back into it, well, my style should be a lot like yours! We seem to like the same bikes  :thumb:

And you're right 2.9 secs, 4.5 secs, it's all stupid fast. I hear ya.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #46 on: 25 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm »
  hell, i have been having a total blast on my recently 'tarded suzuki dr650 thumper, and i am sure it takes almost 5 seconds for it to hit 60mph!   :green:

but, i would still choose a ducati gt 1000 over the triumph - 100lbs less, 20hp more, and that 90 deg v-twin feel and sound are pretty hard to beat, imo...

doug s.

All good points and I agree with them, especially the comments on the v-twin sound. I got bored with the sound of my BMW R90S boxer twin, except with the air filters off, but that was totally impractical and I figured K&Ns would be too ugly.

My brother used to sell Suzukis and I got to ride most models from 1985 to 2000. One of my favorites for general use would be, without any lingering second thought, the DR 650. What a great bike. I can only imagine how much fun that would be 'tarded', as you say. Roland used to run a racing team for his shop and one year they entered a modified DR650 in the races out at the Westwood track near Vancouver BC. The rider was very skilled and a little heavy, but they still did much better than a 650 single had any right to on the track against muti-cylinder bikes. Light weight and good handling paid off here.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #47 on: 26 Jan 2012, 12:53 am »
Ooohhh the Sport 1000's are nice, I'd forgotten. Time to troll Cycletrader. Got a lot of time to mull it over. I'm actually going to take the MSF since it's been a good 6-7 years since I've ridden.

Something about the Bonneville though, so right.

The cool thing about bikes is there are SO MANY options.

And I understand the track vs street thing. My ***hole days are over, I don't see myself pushing performance envelopes like I used to. Getting back into it, well, my style should be a lot like yours! We seem to like the same bikes  :thumb:

And you're right 2.9 secs, 4.5 secs, it's all stupid fast. I hear ya.
that duc is the gt 1000; the sport classic 1000's are even nicer looking, if that's possible...   :wink:

bar risers definitely needed for these, imo...  and i will own either a gt1000 or a sportclassic 1000 some day.   8)

doug s.

Rclark

« Reply #48 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:01 am »

:thumb:.... yeah  :thumb:

Not too hard to look at.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #49 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:09 am »
All good points and I agree with them, especially the comments on the v-twin sound. I got bored with the sound of my BMW R90S boxer twin, except with the air filters off, but that was totally impractical and I figured K&Ns would be too ugly.

My brother used to sell Suzukis and I got to ride most models from 1985 to 2000. One of my favorites for general use would be, without any lingering second thought, the DR 650. What a great bike. I can only imagine how much fun that would be 'tarded', as you say. Roland used to run a racing team for his shop and one year they entered a modified DR650 in the races out at the Westwood track near Vancouver BC. The rider was very skilled and a little heavy, but they still did much better than a 650 single had any right to on the track against muti-cylinder bikes. Light weight and good handling paid off here.

nothing wrong w/k&n's; i got a couple small one's on my darmah.  do that, and some aftermarket cans, and old airhead bmw's can sound sweet...  nothing like an air cooled duc, tho.   :green:

yup, the dr650 in motard style is a sweet ride.  mine is likely making ~50hp, w/the exhaust and carb mods i have done.  plenty for a ~320lb bike, and it handles great, w/the 17" street wheels and an usd front fork off an rm-series dirt bike.  sure, a 70hp 275lb aprilia sxv 550 v-2 motard would be sweet, but that's serious coin, and serious maintenance expense, and way over my head in my abilities anyways...  these are sick bikes, tho...

doug s.

twitch54

« Reply #50 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:04 pm »
speaking of 'sweet' Suzuki's........ 178 hp from barely over one liter of displacement (1056cc's). My buddy has the wick turned up on his big time.....boondocker, 25+ lbs of boost, race gas, meth injection.....300+ HP !

it's incredible how quick this thing gets to 125mph !

sorry guys.....tried to upload the pic of this motor but no go ???

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #51 on: 14 Feb 2012, 07:55 pm »
for serious insanity, nothing tops the new ducati panigale.  imo, of course! 195hp from 1199cc's - only two cylinders! and only 361lbs dry weight!?!  nothing out there comes even close.  sure, it's expensive -$18k-$23k, standard or "s".  but, it's actually no more than a slew of other mfr's hi-end bikes.  and, a coupla years ago, you couldn't buy a race bike >$75k, that had this type of performance...

ymmv,

doug s.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #52 on: 14 Feb 2012, 08:17 pm »
Very impressive how they managed to get this kind of power from a twin.

Rclark

« Reply #53 on: 14 Feb 2012, 10:06 pm »
I dont know about the Ducati sport bikes. Beautiful yes, but fro. A pure performance standpoint they get beat for less money. That and they always have exhaust problems unless you pony up for the termi's. Their little scam.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #54 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:32 pm »
Have you ever ridden a Ducati?

I used to drive a BMW R90S that was totally beaten by any one of a number of Japanese bikes - on paper, and perhaps on the dragstrip. When it came to real world riding, the Beemer was intrinsically faster and could cover more miles easier than the nominally faster bikes.

A good test for rideability of a motorcycle is a simple glance at the odometer. The best bikes have higher mileage for any given year. Bikes that are not so much fun get left in the garage or taken for shorter spins.

Rclark

« Reply #55 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:36 pm »
No I get that. In fact the Monster is on my short list. But as far as Ducati sportbikes are concerned, they're more expensive than japanese literbikes and not as fast.

And you always hear about how they run real rough until you pay extra for the termi's and ECU.

AB

« Reply #56 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:50 pm »
Here are two great web sites to check out...

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/

And

http://www.classicsportbikesforsale.com/

I have a Guzzi Lemans IV sitting in the garage waiting for me to turn it into something like this...

Some day I'll get around to it.

AB

« Reply #57 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm »
For some really trippy bikes, check out this guy...

http://www.chabottengineering.com/motorcycle.html

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #58 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:57 pm »
Thanks for the links, AB.

It's hard to imagine what you could do to that Guzzi to improve it, except take the plate off. Even the license plate is handled cleverly; after all, most licensing agencies don't tell you what angle the plate has to be at, I'm guessing.

I wonder where the battery is, but presume it is small and the kickstarter is used.

That is really close to perfection, and the pipes are the finishing subtle touch. Wow!

AB

« Reply #59 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:15 am »
Just to be clear. The pictured Guzzi is not mine. It's an example of what I would like to do to my stockish LM IV.

I'm not sure about the battery but there must be one in there somewhere - no kickstarter on that bike. If you look closely, there looks to be a battery mounted right on top of the transmission. It's a black box anyway and probably holds the batt.

The web site for that build is here...

http://guzzicafe.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-08-26T16%3A35%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7