Quandary? Dynavector 20 or Denon 103

denjo

Quandary? Dynavector 20 or Denon 103
« on: 22 May 2008, 03:46 am »
Hi Vinyl Enthusiasts

I am in a bit of quandary. I own both the Dynavector 20 (MC High gain) and Denon 103 (MC low gain). From general listening impressions, I seem to feel that the Denon sounds more musical and organic even though its gain is lowish. I am have ordered a LFD Zero Mk III (with phono stage) and need to advise the manufacturer (Dr Bews) what is my preferred cart so that the phono gain can be factory set.

I would be happy to hear your views and preference, if you were in my shoes.

Best Regards
Dennis

Rocket

Re: Quandary? Dynavector 20 or Denon 103
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2008, 10:52 am »
Hi,

It depends on what you prefer.

I originally used a denon dl103 in my system but I broke the stylus and had to replace the cartridge.  I decided to try a benz micro mc20 and I thought they sounded pretty similiar, although I never compared them directly.

The high output mc is a lot easier to use because you don't need a step up transformer.

Regards

Rod

RooX

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2008, 11:11 am »
sounds like you have a perfect choice already. You like the denon more, so spec it for that cart.  As a bonus, you can eventually upgrade it to the new ZU cart. which is a heavily modifed denon, should rock.

chosenhandle

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2008, 02:51 pm »
As a bonus, you can eventually upgrade it to the new ZU cart. which is a heavily modifed denon, should rock.

...or mod it yourself!

taskerc

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2008, 05:08 pm »
I have a DL-103 that I nuded - and this made it so much better.  The only reason I am not using it now is that I built a Cornet2 phono stage and a step-up transformer to get the DL103 into it and now have hum. And I picked up an Ortofon 540MK11 that I am really liking at the moment.

I highly recommend making the DL103 nude (removing the plastic outer case) - sounds scary to do but it is not bad at all to do and the sound benefits seemed (even to me) to be huge.

taskerc

RooX

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2008, 02:45 am »
As a bonus, you can eventually upgrade it to the new ZU cart. which is a heavily modifed denon, should rock.

...or mod it yourself!

that too.. although i don't think i could do what the zu boys are doing to it no matter what the cost. 

Arlequen

• - In Stylus Veritas -
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2008, 07:33 pm »
I highly recommend making the DL103 nude (removing the plastic outer case) - sounds scary to do but it is not bad at all to do and the sound benefits seemed (even to me) to be huge.

One of my friends makes some very intersting variations on Denon DL103 .. he denudes the cartridge than change with boron cantilever and add gyger S stylus
After these variations the Denon really sings like an angel

This is the great cartridge tweeker ---> http://www.torlai.it/