another dump TT question

2bigears

another dump TT question
« on: 25 May 2008, 09:01 pm »
seems to be alota VPI rigs for sale,is this only cause they sell so much???? seems to be the Harley Davidson of tt's.lot of Aries tables for sale.if you guys could please once more tell me the cut-off in terms of value added.with the Technics 1210 i just scooped compared to a what i perceive to be a step-up table,say,,,the Super scoutmaster for example or a Sota table with a SME arm....is the return night and day like i was told by you know---a salesman.i gotta ask before i think of a move ahead or sideways....thks  Pat :D  [John,you mentioned 10%,is that 'it' in your experiance]  :D
« Last Edit: 25 May 2008, 10:38 pm by 2bigears »

Wayner

Re: another dump TT question
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2008, 10:58 pm »
I really like my VPI Hw-19jr with the AudioQuest PT-6 tone arm. It's capable of pulling very nice info from grooves. The other more costly VPI's I don't know. I think the single pivot VPI tone arms might be a bitch to set up.....not for everyone.

Wayner

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2008, 11:13 pm »
:D thks Wayner.so you swapped out your arm from VPI to PT-6 ?? from reading,VPI arms are not to bad to set up,or are they a hard nut to crack.i like the looks of SME arms.... :thumb:

TheChairGuy

There are no dumb TT questions ;>)
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2008, 12:20 am »
There's much that I like about my VPI HW-19 MK. III.....especially when I set it up defeating the springs and use 4 (approximately) 5" tall pieces from a foam Kinoodle as the stands...thereby also creating DIY SAMA.

This was actually suggested to me by long time employee Mike at VPI......their customer service and help is really great when you need it.

I even have an outer record clamp made specifically for the Mk. III platter.

I have used it with an Audioquest PT-6 with VTAF, a substantially modified Rega RB250 and a $3000 Origin Live Illustrious MK. III tonearm on it  :o.  While good in many respects.....it doesn't hold a candle to either my current JVC DD table, my older/lesser unit now long gone or even my beat-up Technics SL-1200 Mk. II (using the same Rega and Origin Live arms).

Fact is, without a rigidly maintained speed control, a la the $1000.00 VPI SDS unit or similar, no belt drive sounds enough like real music to matter to me.  If speed is affected by different temperatures, tracking, crescendos and loud passages....if it will is a belt drive deck has a typical unregulated motor -  it just doesn't sound like music to my ears. Pitch is affected and the music just wallows in an off speed way.

So, I've been able to coax very good to excellent performance from direct drive/quartz locked decks for under $500....but you probably need to spend 3-4x that to meet it's speed performance and gain the benefits of belt drives (inherently) superior isolation.

NOTE - the above is my opinion, if it differs from anyone out there, you're entitled to yours as I am mine  :)

There is a lot of choices out there in decks and VPI's have always been popular.  I think your seeing the effects of recession and more listings because of it and the fact that audiophools are both trading up and trading over to direct drive decks.  It makes for a lot of decks on sale at any one time.

John
« Last Edit: 26 May 2008, 02:57 am by TheChairGuy »

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2008, 02:14 am »
 :D John,good words.i have put my name in on the KAB fluid damping kit.that is the big mod that helps alot on the 1200's,so they say.also ,one off Kevin's thicker mats.on that deck and arm,what cart is the stopping point,i now have a Benz Micro H.will this cart do justise to the tt and arm.as usual.no need to overshoot anything in the chain. :D :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2008, 03:07 am »
Once you get the KAB damping trough....you might want to try a Grado.  Without fluid damping, one's results are hit and miss...with fluid damping, you're more likely to gain satisfaction from it. 

Don't bother unless you have fluid damping.....the Grado can sound 'willowy' (ie, not taut and tight) because Grado builds them underdamped relative to most other cartridges on the market.  The lack of damping gives it a really full, big-bodied sound....but without damping of some kind employed it tends toward sounding big but inexact  :| 

You'll likely get my meaning if you get the KAB damping trough....and use the Grado with and without it employed.

Cartridges differ dramatically and I think we all hear different aspects of each that please and displease us.

Set-up right I prefer a $125 worth of Grado + shibata stylus to cartridges heard 5-6 times it's price....but only with fluid damping employed.

John

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2008, 04:45 am »
:D  thks guys....man,how do you  know so much,my first quess is your from another world sent down to educate on the Holy Grail of Sound.....till damping comes and tested,no moves.thks   Pat :D