Studio Electric M4 Speakers

Joe Frances

Studio Electric M4 Speakers
« on: 17 Apr 2019, 02:57 am »
Dan,

When you get back from your well-deserved break (NOT NOW), I wonder if you could give us your views of the Studio Electric M4 speakers.  I only discovered them from the fact that you teamed up with them at a couple of Shows.  They look so fab with the grills ON.  I assume they are great, if you work with them, but I would appreciate some thoughts on their sound and build quality for the long haul.  I love a natural, easy flowing, non-aggressive or analytical presentation.  My inclination is to go with a BBC monitor, or maybe a Salk, but the Studio Electrics pose an interesting "problem" of perhaps giving great value for money with a very nice non-fatiguing sound. If your amps go for $6,000+ and the M4 is about $2,600 it sounds good at first, but isn't there too much of a price delta?  This is my bias. I definitely think this way.  To be specific: if your new hybrid integrated is going to cost north of the KWI 200, as you have indicated several times, then it's going to be maybe in the $7,500+ range? If so, would it make sense to match that with a monitor at about a third of the price? Do you see where I am coming from here?

Thanks,

Joe

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Studio Electric M4 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2019, 11:47 am »
Nice reviews out there for the M4.  I'm a monitor fan (can set to listening height, easier to move/ship, less flashy veneer to pay for, provide a better fit for most residential settings). 

But I disagree on your relative cost premise:

1.)  Synergistic system building does not follow cost guidelines, at a minimum it follows basic electrical principals;
2.)  Different amplifier technologies and configurations come with inherently different costs;
3.)  Vendors put more or less money into aesthetics which has nothing to do with the sound;
4.)  R&D, manufacturing, and overhead costs vary and may not contribute to the value of the product;
5.)  As a 'speaker guy' I've spent more on speakers than amps to maximize sound/dollar value, so I see your ratio as upside down.

Joe Frances

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2019, 09:02 pm »
Nice reviews out there for the M4.  I'm a monitor fan (can set to listening height, easier to move/ship, less flashy veneer to pay for, provide a better fit for most residential settings). 

But I disagree on your relative cost premise:

1.)  Synergistic system building does not follow cost guidelines, at a minimum it follows basic electrical principals;
2.)  Different amplifier technologies and configurations come with inherently different costs;
3.)  Vendors put more or less money into aesthetics which has nothing to do with the sound;
4.)  R&D, manufacturing, and overhead costs vary and may not contribute to the value of the product;
5.)  As a 'speaker guy' I've spent more on speakers than amps to maximize sound/dollar value, so I see your ratio as upside down.

I think we have more of an agreement that a disagreement.  Your point 5. is precisely what I was trying to get at, and I would like to hear Dan's take on the M$.  My bias, and it is a bias that I am perfectly happy to disavow, is that it doesn't seem to make sense to spend $7,500 on an amp and hook it up to a  $2,500  speaker.  I would agree with you ("a speaker guy")  that the other way around makes more sense.  I might spend $7,000 on speakers and half that on a  very good amp. 

Dan likes the Studio Electric M 4, and I am interested in that speaker myself.  I find it interesting that an integrated amplifier manufacturer with a vested interest in demoing his new amp with a relatively inexpensive speaker.  That says a lot about the speaker.  I am positively inclined by this as it indicates the speaker is hitting well above its weight, and that's a good thing.  It contradicts the bias. 

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2019, 11:08 pm »
The M4's are exceptional! They are ALSO a great value! I show with them because they sound great with our gear! I could show with much more expensive speakers, but I show with Studio Electric because they are great!

At Axpona we showed with the new F2 floor standers. These are based on the M4 monitor, with an additional bass driver and separate volume, all built into a much larger floor standing speaker. They sell for $6900/pr. This was perhaps more in line with the $8495 KWH 225i Hybrid integrated amp that we showed them with.

The point of my pairing with Studio Electric speakers and Zu cables, is that we are able to display a ~$25K complete system, amp, source, speakers, cabling, complete, for less than some systems' single component or even cabling costs! The system that we put together at shows sounds fantastic and people can relate to the sound and budget.

Could Dave (Studio Electric) show with cheaper electronics? Yes he could. Would it sound as good? I would say probably not. But that is NOT because the M4 speakers are not great! They will rise to the level of any associated gear. Lastly, why would I show with affordable speakers, if I did not feel that they would make our gear sound great?

In short, I OWN a pair of M4's and use them daily in my reference system. Yes, they ARE that good! If you want a bigger and deeper sound, the F2 floor standers are also REALLY GOOD! We REALLY killed it at Axpona! Show coverage will follow.

You can pay a lot more for monitors, but there is no reason to! The M4 monitors are outstanding! In Maple or other exotic wood veneer with custom grilles, they are truly stunning. There is added cost for nicer finishes and grilles. The grilles are custom fabricated using the same wire mesh material used to make Neumann microphones!

Contact Studio Electric if you are looking for a great speaker!

Dan Wright

alan m. kafton

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2019, 04:16 am »
I'll put my 3 cents in the mix.  The M4's punch way above their price point, and are an outstanding value.  Also realize that they are priced *factory direct*, without dealer markup.  That makes them an even more exceptional value.  Paired with Dan's fine equipment, they sang.

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2019, 11:14 pm »
Agreed!

blutto

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2019, 01:25 am »
Every time I go to a show I've made a habit of visiting the Studio Electric room ( if available ). The speakers never disappoint....and the set-up is always spot-on, and the music selections are always great, and speakers always seem faithful to the music being presented.

For the money they are a flat out steal. And no I don't have any connection to the company but I definitely connect to stereo components that punch well above their price-point.

Highly recommended....to the point its almost a no-brainer ( not unlike the Fritz speakers which also as a direct sale item provide a great sound/value package though with a difference in voicing ).

Cheers

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2019, 07:55 pm »
I agree. Studio Electric and Fritz speakers BOTH make fantastic speakers. I have had the pleasure to show with David and his M4 monitors and his F2 floor standers and they are exceptional! I also had the pleasure of showing with Fritz and his Carrera Be monitors at CAF 2018 in DC where we were drove the Carrera's with 8W of 300B tube power! And it drove them WELL!

There is A LOT to be said for a GOOD monitor! Both companies produce exceptional products in this respect and I recommend both VERY highly!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2019, 11:33 pm »
Show coverage by Greg Weaver for Enjoy The Music. We did it again!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2019/Weaver/page2.htm

raddar

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2019, 06:31 pm »
The M4's are exceptional! They are ALSO a great value! I show with them because they sound great with our gear! I could show with much more expensive speakers, but I show with Studio Electric because they are great!

In short, I OWN a pair of M4's and use them daily in my reference system. Yes, they ARE that good! If you want a bigger and deeper sound, the F2 floor standers are also REALLY GOOD! We REALLY killed it at Axpona! Show coverage will follow.

You can pay a lot more for monitors, but there is no reason to! The M4 monitors are outstanding! In Maple or other exotic wood veneer with custom grilles, they are truly stunning. There is added cost for nicer finishes and grilles. The grilles are custom fabricated using the same wire mesh material used to make Neumann microphones!

Contact Studio Electric if you are looking for a great speaker!

Dan Wright

I just found this post, nice to get your input Dan. I just ordered the M4's from Dave, should pair well with my LS100 and KWA 100SE

mick wolfe

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2019, 08:09 pm »
Agreed!

I'll agree as well. A well designed speaker at this price point will only sound that much better when driven by source/amplification costing 3 or 4 times as much.  At least that's what I've found over the years. Building system synergy far outweighs building a system solely on "cost ratios" IMO. As always YMMV.

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2019, 06:45 pm »
raddar, you will NOT be disappointed!

raddar

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2019, 04:48 pm »
raddar, you will NOT be disappointed!
Dan you were spot on! With my Modwright LS100 and KWA 100SE  I have been listening to a range of my favorite music from Yello, Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, Los Lobos (Kiko) ,Willie Nelson, Katie Melua, Regina Spektor, Lucinda Williams, Jennifer Warnes, Diana Krall, and Sade and the vocals are clear and articulate but never bright or harsh. The piano/guitars/wind and string instruments sound more realistic as the size of the image is larger than my other monitors KEF LS 50 and Pro Ac Tablette 10 (with a sub). When the music builds or is complex, the M4's sound great no congestion or anemic sound. Sound is detailed and clear and smooth at low and higher volumes. In my small listening room, no need for the sub anymore, the bass is tight , clear and full without being bloated or boomy.  The soundstage is wide and the imaging is excellent, I close my eyes and I hear instruments and vocals in specific locations both width and depth. I can't stop listening to the M4's. Higher quality monitors do make a difference with good electronics!

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2019, 01:40 am »
11 years ago at RMAF 2008 I heard the Studio Electric T3 "Spheres" in the Modwright demo room and they were awesome! I remember how impressed I was and told Dan how great it all sounded. I was really interested in spherical speaker cabinets at that time and I was pleasantly surprised there were 3 spherical speakers at the show that year. They have a unique sound that is very pure and relaxed without the edge diffraction. Never heard their box speakers but I would like to!

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2019, 07:45 pm »
I have a pair of the T3's that need a home! If anyone is interested, please let me know! All of Dave's speakers are awesome!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2019, 07:46 pm »
Glad you are enjoying our gear Raddar!