Help me decide on a DAC

GregC

Re: Help me decide on a DAC
« Reply #20 on: 18 Apr 2019, 08:42 pm »
Thanks Steve, I have read about Denafrips and Metrum.  Unfortunately there is no audition so I would have to buy used and sell it on if it does not work out.

GregC

« Reply #21 on: 18 Apr 2019, 08:43 pm »
Crane Song Solaris and Dangerous Convert-2.

Thanks Zoom, unfortunately my rack is enclosed so I need the standard 17 inch width components.

vintage9594

« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2019, 09:37 pm »
I replaced my PSaudio Direct Stream with a Audio Note 3.1 Signature(with a few upgrades) and haven’t looked back.  My system is a Mac Mini with Sonicweld Diverter doing the USB to single ended conversion with Nirvana Audio digital cable, Lotuse Audio Design USB and Cardas Golden Reference with Herron Audio Preamp amp Mono blocs....only listing for references to up/downstream gear.  I am a vinyl guy and feel the Audio Note gets me much closer to the Analog sound with no loss at the extremes and a sound I can listen to with zero listener fatigue.

Good luck....
DACs used:
Metrum Acoustics Hex Dac
PSaudio Direct Stream Dac(bought new in 2018)
Levinson No.360s
Bel Canto 3.7
BMC Ultra Dac

GregC

« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2019, 09:41 pm »
I replaced my PSaudio Direct Stream with a Audio Note 3.1 Signature(with a few upgrades) and haven’t looked back.  My system is a Mac Mini with Sonicweld Diverter doing the USB to single ended conversion with Nirvana Audio digital cable, Lotuse Audio Design USB and Cardas Golden Reference with Herron Audio Preamp amp Mono blocs....only listing for references to up/downstream gear.  I am a vinyl guy and feel the Audio Note gets me much closer to the Analog sound with no loss at the extremes and a sound I can listen to with zero listener fatigue.

Good luck....
DACs used:
Metrum Acoustics Hex Dac
PSaudio Direct Stream Dac(bought new in 2018)
Levinson No.360s
Bel Canto 3.7
BMC Ultra Dac

I see you use a Herron preamp, I definitely admire Keith's preamp and phono stage.  Thanks a lot for the suggestion, Audio Note is a well respected brand.  If that needs service are there resources here in the US or do you have to ship it outside the country?

zoom25

« Reply #24 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm »
Thanks Zoom, unfortunately my rack is enclosed so I need the standard 17 inch width components.

Ahhh, okay. BDA-3 will give you 17 inch. You can pair that up with a BDP.

Damn shame to not consider a DAC because of rack width (but I get it as all my gear is black and the Solaris is silver). Maybe auditioning will convince you to get wider racks.  :lol:

GregC

« Reply #25 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:09 pm »
Ahhh, okay. BDA-3 will give you 17 inch. You can pair that up with a BDP.

Damn shame to not consider a DAC because of rack width (but I get it as all my gear is black and the Solaris is silver). Maybe auditioning will convince you to get wider racks.  :lol:
The rack, TV, and everything in my entertainment system is constrained by the room first and foremost so it is not just the rack that limits my choices.  I also have limited space left inside the rack and that is a further constraint.

vintage9594

« Reply #26 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:17 pm »
Thanks for the response on my Audio Note Post....most servicing can be done by your local service tech.
Don

zoom25

« Reply #27 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:23 pm »
The rack, TV, and everything in my entertainment system is constrained by the room first and foremost so it is not just the rack that limits my choices.  I also have limited space left inside the rack and that is a further constraint.

Does the front of your rack have windows/cupboard covers or is it open? If it's open, I think you might be able to put those DACs inside the rack with only the faceplate sticking outside of the rack but still being flush with the front of the rack?

GregC

« Reply #28 on: 18 Apr 2019, 10:30 pm »
Does the front of your rack have windows/cupboard covers or is it open? If it's open, I think you might be able to put those DACs inside the rack with only the faceplate sticking outside of the rack but still being flush with the front of the rack?

It has a door on the front and it can fit a rack mount component with the rack against an inner brace, as long as the buttons do not stick out too far.  The Dangerous ADC is something I looked at for vinyl capture.