A reminder, AVA builds a great solid state inexpensive preamplifier

avahifi

Our Vision RB solid state preamp uses a discrete Class A solid state line stage and costs only $899!

Options available are remote volume and mute functions for $100.

The other option is our outstanding Vision Q phono section that handles almost all MM and MC cartridges with MC gain and loading user settable with simple dip switches.  Vision Q phono option is $329.

Here is a link to it.

https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/vision-rb-preamplifier

You don't have to pay $10,000 for a wonderful solid state preamp with MC cartridge capability.

Frank

LesTal

I have ordered one and I am excitedly waiting to receive it.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2019, 11:56 am by LesTal »

dB Cooper

I wish AVA would bring back kits, specifically the RB preamps. How hard can that be to build with the simple controls. But I guess you'd spend a lot of time on the phone explaining to newbies which end to hold the soldering iron by.

witchdoctor

Our Vision RB solid state preamp uses a discrete Class A solid state line stage and costs only $899!

Options available are remote volume and mute functions for $100.

The other option is our outstanding Vision Q phono section that handles almost all MM and MC cartridges with MC gain and loading user settable with simple dip switches.  Vision Q phono option is $329.

Here is a link to it.

https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/vision-rb-preamplifier

You don't have to pay $10,000 for a wonderful solid state preamp with MC cartridge capability.

Frank

I almost feel bad for the people that did drop $10K :nono:

witchdoctor

I have ordered one and I am excitedly anticipating receiving it. I am surprised that there is so little comment about this product.

It seems "inexpensive" kit just doesn't get the love.  :scratch:

Calypte

In the heyday of Dynaco, Heathkit, Knightkit, et al, components were individually hand-soldered to terminal strips and PCBs.  If you could pass that labor on to the customer, then there'd be money to be saved for the end-user who was willing to wield a soldering iron.  But aren't circuit boards in the modern era populated and soldered by machines?  Once programmed, the machines can do it forever, and they don't need wages, vacations, sick days, payroll taxes, etc.  Furthermore, a kit needs proper packaging -- bags, partitioned trays, etc., all of which may still require hand labor.  Plus they need comprehensible instructions, which implies the services of an experienced technical writer.  The old days of saving money by doing your own soldering are over.  That's the downside.  The upside is that electronic audio components are measurably better and much more dependable than in days of yore.

Charles Calkins

We all know that anything Frank makes and sells is top of the line.
     The S.S pre is $899. For $899 you can buy his transcendence 10 RB tube pre.
     It only uses two tubes. GREAT!!! pre amp. Take my word for it being a
     GREAT!!! pre amp.

greggs

I purchased three components from Frank at avahifi.com not too long ago (Dec, 2018).
A Transcendence 10 SL (2 tube) preamp, Vision SET 120 amp, and a Vision Q Phono Preamp.
Just clean, 'easy on the ears' sound!
I couldn't be happier.

LesTal

I am still finding it interesting that no owners of the Vision RB solid state preamp have yet posted replies to this subject.

Maybe I will be the first one! (Still have to wait for it though)

Birdbrain

For those that need a full function remote, tape loop, mono switch, or high and low filters, the Vision SLR at $1299 is an even greater inexpensive solid state preamplifier.  I went back and forth between this and the Transcendence 10 SLR (which really needs to be added to the AVA website), ultimately going with the T10. No surprise, AVA also builds a great tube inexpensive preamplifier. I think it's great that AVA offers solid state and tube alternatives for the same price, in basic and fancy versions.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

avahifi

For those interested, here is a photo of the insides of a fully optioned Transcendence 10 RB preamp with remote control and multi function phono section.

Top right is the shielded toroid power transformer.  Below is the remote control receiver circuits.  Bottom left are the two vacuum tube line sections with the motor drive remote volume control at the front.  The right side of the mother board is all regulated power supplies and with the headphone driver circuits at the right front.  Top left is the Vision Q adjustable phono circuit which interfaces with the main mother board and with its own separate regulated power supplies.  Note that all audio wiring is done with shielded cables for low noise operation and minimal crosstalk. Audio circuit capacitors are polypropylene and most resistors are Vishay Dale 1% metal film types.  No cost cutting here.

Price is $899 basic, plus $100 for the remote volume and mute, and $329 for the phono section, total $1328.

Hard to find a better value or better sound.  (Absolute Sound Editor's Choice Award winner).

Frank

LesTal

I would really like to see a photo of the inside of the Vision RB solid state preamp since I have ordered one.
Maybe it's not as interesting to look at?

NIGHTFALL1970

Here are under the hood pics of my vision.

NIGHTFALL1970

NIGHTFALL1970

LesTal

Thanks for the pics. Looks like the Vision SL? The insides are nicer looking than I expected.

avahifi_lj

Hello,

Here is an internal photo of a Vision RB with remote control (production photo).

Larry

LesTal

There is a lot of room on that chassis, even after including the phono circuit option. I wonder if anyone is contemplating making use of that space in the future.

avahifi

The same basic chassis metal is used for the vacuum tube Transcendence 10 RB with its much larger mother board (scroll up for photo) and for the SET 120 power amplifier.  Also for the Fet Valve RB tube preamp.

We keep prices low with clever mechanical design methods that avoids the need to stock multiple kinds of chassis designs.

Frankly

LesTal

Now that my ears have burned in for two weeks, I must report that I am very happy with this wonderful solid state preamp.
Thank you Frank for recommending it for me.